Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Nick Saban

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Steve Spurrier

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Someone else

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
What's the relevance to the thread? Are you starting your own topic inside the topic of this thread?

The topic is "Who is the best Head Coach in the SEC?" NOT "Who has had the most success as a SEC Head Coach."

Hmm, and here I thought having consistent success in a tough conference made you a good coach.

I think Florida fans are the ones changing the topic of the thread to 'who had the most success last year', because it makes absolutely no sense to put Meyer ahead of the more accomplished SEC coaches.

:shakeno:

Silly Hurricane fans living in the past. The thread is who is the current best coach in the SEC. NOT which coach has had the most success in the past. TWO totally different questions.

By that logic I guess Coker was a GREAT coach. Undefeated in once season, in two consecutive BCS championship games! I mean if you are going by what they have accomplished, then he is one of the best coaches we have had in the last decade. Him and Pete Carroll. You can have great teams and not be a great coach. :sidelol:

Yeah, you can only judge a coach by what he did last year. That's why Schiano and Meyer are the best coaches in college football. :rolleyes:
I'd still say the best 'current' coach is Tuberville.

I don't know how you draw Coker into this. Coker was consistently getting worse. Tuberville, Spurrier, and Fulmer aren't always getting worse. They have accomplished pasts, and still have well-coached teams. Coker never won with his own players, or got the most out of his talented recruits. Pete Carroll is the best college football coach of the last decade. I don't know how that could even be debated.

Yeah, you can only judge a coach by what he did last year. That's why Schiano and Meyer are the best coaches in college football. :rolleyes:
I'd still say the best 'current' coach is Tuberville.

I don't know how you draw Coker into this. Coker was consistently getting worse. Tuberville, Spurrier, and Fulmer aren't always getting worse. They have accomplished pasts, and still have well-coached teams. Coker never won with his own players, or got the most out of his talented recruits. Pete Carroll is the best college football coach of the last decade. I don't know how that could even be debated.

And you wouldn't say the same about Meyer???

Everywhere he's been, he's been extremely successful. He took Bowling Green a complete 180 from where they were headed in only 2 years, he took Utah, Utah!, to an undefeated season and a BCS blowout in only his second year, and most impressively took Florida to an SEC Championship and a National Championship in only his second year. Based on that, let me ask one question. How exactly do you measure success???

Hmm, and here I thought having consistent success in a tough conference made you a good coach.

I think Florida fans are the ones changing the topic of the thread to 'who had the most success last year', because it makes absolutely no sense to put Meyer ahead of the more accomplished SEC coaches.

Then it makes me wonder why you're so high on Tuberville.
He's had three "successful" seasons out of 12 as a head coach (all in the SEC). As the head coach at Ole Miss, he barely broke .500.
I guess you have lower expectations than most of us.

1995 Ole Miss 6 5
1996 Ole Miss 5 6
1997 Ole Miss 8 4 Motor City Bowl, Named AP SEC Coach of the Year
1998 Ole Miss 6 5
1999 Auburn 5 6
2000 Auburn 9 4 SEC Western Division Champions, Florida Citrus Bowl, finished the year ranked #18 in the AP.
2001 Auburn 7 5 Peach Bowl, SEC West Division Co-Champions
2002 Auburn 9 4 Capital One Bowl, SEC West Division Co-Champions, finished the year ranked #14 in the AP poll.
2003 Auburn 8 5 Music City Bowl
2004 Auburn 13 0 SEC Champion, SEC West Division Champions, Sugar Bowl, Named Coach of the Year from the (1) AP the American Football Coaches Association, (2) the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association and (3) the Walter Camp Football Foundation, and also won the Paul "Bear" Bryant Award. Auburn finished the year ranked #2 in the AP poll.
2005 Auburn 9 3 Capital One Bowl, SEC West Division Co-Champions, finished the year ranked #14 in the AP poll.
2006 Auburn 11 2 Cotton Bowl, ranked #9 in the final BCS poll and was ranked as high as #2 in the BCS poll during the season. Final rankings: ESPN/USA Today (Coaches' poll): #8, AP (sportswriters) : #9

And you wouldn't say the same about Meyer???

Everywhere he's been, he's been extremely successful. He took Bowling Green a complete 180 from where they were headed in only 2 years, he took Utah, Utah!, to an undefeated season and a BCS blowout in only his second year, and most impressively took Florida to an SEC Championship and a National Championship in only his second year. Based on that, let me ask one question. How exactly do you measure success???

Very nice post and I agree. I don't know how you can argue that Meyer is not a great coach. He wins every where he goes!!

I wanted to vote for Coach O :(

Despite the records, I thought Tubby did a great job at Ole Miss.

:lol: Love the sig. You must have got that from Ga. fans. They're always chanting "Gator Fans wear jean shorts" (I assume that's a dig in Ga.) during the game in Jax.

On topic: Tuberville did a very good job at Ole Miss, and should have kept his job. But, I just don't see how he could stand up next to Meyer, or Spurrier. I also think Saban and Fulmer are as good or better.

BTW, this the record of who I voted for:
1987 Duke 5-6 2-5 7
1988 Duke 7-3-1 3-3-1 6
1989 Duke 8-4 6-1 T - 1 All-American Bowl Texas Tech L 49-21
At Duke: 20-13-1 11-9-1
Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (1990  2001)
1990 Florida 9-2 6-1 (*) Ineligible (*) (*)
1991 Florida 10-2 7-0 1 Sugar Bowl Notre Dame L 39-28 8
1992 Florida 9-4 6-2 1 - East Gator Bowl NC State W 27-10 11
1993 Florida 11-2 7-1 1 - East Sugar Bowl West Virginia W 41-7 4
1994 Florida 10-2-1 7-1 1 - East Sugar Bowl Florida State L 23-17 7
1995 Florida 12-1 8-0 1 - East Fiesta Bowl Nebraska L 62-24 3
1996 Florida 12-1 8-0 1 - East Sugar Bowl Florida State W 52-20 1
1997 Florida 10-2 6-2 3 - East Citrus Bowl Penn State W 21-6 6
1998 Florida 10-2 7-1 2 - East Orange Bowl † Syracuse W 31-10 6
1999 Florida 9-4 7-1 1 - East Citrus Bowl Michigan State L 37-34 14
2000 Florida 10-3 7-1 1 - East Sugar Bowl † Miami L 37-27 11
2001 Florida 10-2 6-2 2 - East Orange Bowl † Maryland W 56-23 3
At Florida: 122-27-1 82-12
South Carolina Game****s (Southeastern Conference) (2005  present)
2005 South Carolina 7-5 5-3 2 - East Independence Bowl Missouri L 31-38
2006 South Carolina 8-5 3-5 5 - East Liberty Bowl Houston W 44-36
At South Carolina: 15-10 8-8

Vol fans refer to them as jorts and Urban is now affectionately known as Herban.

O66393-1.jpg

FF_100153ALT1_xl-1.jpg

Yea winning the ACC with the Dukies is pretty impressive IMO.

Back
Top Bottom