Billy Donovan wants out of Magic contract | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Billy Donovan wants out of Magic contract

Ronnie Bass

R.I.P. - Nick is God
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2892334

Billy Donovan informed the Magic and the University of Florida over the weekend that he had second thoughts about agreeing to be Orlando's head coach, but it's unclear whether the NBA team will let him go.

Orlando has a signed contract from Donovan and is making a decision as to whether to let him out of the five-year, $27.5 million deal that he signed on Friday, multiple sources told ESPN.com on Sunday.

If the Magic do let Donovan out of the deal, they have to decide whether to enforce a financial penalty. Both sides aren't talking publicly because there are legal issues involved in such a decision.

Wow, weird stuff eh?

if I were the Magic I'd fine him and let him leave. No need to have a guy there when he really doesn't want to be.

That stinks for Orlando and the Magic fans. I am a huge Gators fan so seeing Billy back in Gainesville would be great, but I do feel bad for Magic fans.

What is it about coaches in Florida who can't seem to make up their minds?

I am so excited about this its not even funny!!!! I still would have been happy to have Anthony Grant tho

Stan Van Gundy come on down!!!
You're the next coach of the Orlando Magic!!:)

You don't want Stan Van Gundy if it's Orlando's first Championship coach you're looking for. He's a great assistant coach, and can be a pretty solid head coach. However, probably in the Flip Saunders mold in that I can see some very promising regular season, but I can't see him hosting up an NBA Finals trophy.

As for Billy Donovan, I don't know if one can be harsh about the situation at hand. This is the guy's future, and he's got a family to consider as well. At least he's not going into the job, only to pull out later when things are finally looking up (cough, Saban, cough). If I'm a Magic fan, I hope to God he walks because you never want players on your team who aren't sure they want to be there.. much less a damn head coach? Come on. If I'm a Gators fan, honestly, I could care less because once failure comes in 2007-2008, he's out of there and off to Kansas or another NCAA/NBA gig.

Truthfully, I think Donavon is looking at some solid organizations in prize cities that could be looking for a new head coach in a few years. Detroit..
Miami.. New York.. Boston? It may be in his best wishes to stay in Florida for a few more years, then look onto a more established NBA organization if/when the opportunity approaches. I mean, what else could it be? IMO, He's nuts if he truly feels like he's gonna rebuild that Gator program back to how those 5 kids left it. :err:

ESPN News' bottom right ticker:

BREAKING NEWS - Report: ORL will let Donavon out of deal

Well it appears that Billy D and Saban are cut from the same cloth.
Two grown men who can't honor thier word.

LOL, smart move IMO. I think it was rather poor the WAY he did it. However, I stick to my guns in that college coaches just do NOT make a successful transition to the NBA.

I don't want Stan Van Gundy in Orlando. The guy is is a really good coach, he turned our 04' season around after Pat Riley stunk it up in the beggining, and IMO our 05' team was much better than our 06' team; if it weren't for the Wade rib injury, we would have won the championship.

Either come back to Miami or go to the West.

You don't want Stan Van Gundy if it's Orlando's first Championship coach you're looking for. He's a great assistant coach, and can be a pretty solid head coach. However, probably in the Flip Saunders mold in that I can see some very promising regular season, but I can't see him hosting up an NBA Finals trophy.

As for Billy Donovan, I don't know if one can be harsh about the situation at hand. This is the guy's future, and he's got a family to consider as well. At least he's not going into the job, only to pull out later when things are finally looking up (cough, Saban, cough). If I'm a Magic fan, I hope to God he walks because you never want players on your team who aren't sure they want to be there.. much less a damn head coach? Come on. If I'm a Gators fan, honestly, I could care less because once failure comes in 2007-2008, he's out of there and off to Kansas or another NCAA/NBA gig.

Truthfully, I think Donavon is looking at some solid organizations in prize cities that could be looking for a new head coach in a few years. Detroit..
Miami.. New York.. Boston?
It may be in his best wishes to stay in Florida for a few more years, then look onto a more established NBA organization if/when the opportunity approaches. I mean, what else could it be? IMO, He's nuts if he truly feels like he's gonna rebuild that Gator program back to how those 5 kids left it. :err:

Boston and New York solid organizations?:lol: The ownership and GM's of those franchises are jokes. Miami? Their future isn't bright with the aging, financially bloated roster and lack of young talent.

Orlando has the best young big man in the game, young talent and financial maneuverability. It's the most prized coaching slot in the league right now.

Back
Top Bottom