Billy Donovan wants out of Magic contract | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Billy Donovan wants out of Magic contract

Well it appears that Billy D and Saban are cut from the same cloth.
Two grown men who can't honor thier word.
You don't think the situations are a little different?
Did you feel that way about Donovan when he initially signed with Orlando?

This is garbage. The Magic will do a lot better if they manage to get Stan Van Gundy.

Saban and Donovan are somewhere sipping tea together right now, high fiving their pitchforks.

Did you feel that way about Donovan when he initially signed with Orlando?[/QUOTE]

Of coarse not. It took a knife in the back to make me feel this way.
You tell me how a man can look people and camera's in the eye and gush about how commited he is to the Magic and the excitment of facing the challenges of the NBA. Then the next day... I've changed my mind.

Did you feel that way about Donovan when he initially signed with Orlando?[/QUOTE]

Of coarse not. It took a knife in the back to make me feel this way.
You tell me how a man can look people and camera's in the eye and gush about how commited he is to the Magic and the excitment of facing the challenges of the NBA. Then the next day... I've changed my mind.
I asked that because he gushed about UF, and said he was staying there long before negotiating with Orlando.

From what I've read the Magic gave Donovan 24 hours to make his decision. This is the same guy who didn't want to go anywhere else because of family considerations. He didn't want to move his kids out of Gainesville. I think it's pretty obvious he never wanted to leave, but faced with 24 to make is huge of a decision he saw the only opportunity that would allow him to take the NBA challenge and keep his family in Gainesville. It's also pretty obvious, that if given a few more days to fully consider that decision, he would have stayed at UF. I'll never understand why any business would only give it's candidate 24 hours to make a decision. Especially, when it's of that magnitude.

So, he had to make one of the biggest decisions of his life, in 24 hours. No matter what decision he makes, there would have been doubts. But, as anyone in that situation would have been done, he was trying to convince himself that he made the right decision. The only real victims here are fans who were excited to have Donovan, and I do understand the disappointment. Personally, I'd be a little upset with Orlando's front office. If you've got a guy who's resisted leaving a great job at every opportunity, you give him more than 24 hours to make a decision.

We're not talking about a guy leaving for a better contract. His salary will be roughly half at UF. Had Donovan taken the Orlando job, he had guaranteed money, and a huge safety net. Any top program college with an opening, would have taken him even if he failed miserably in Orlando. Heck, I'm sure several would have made an opening.

I don't want Stan Van Gundy in Orlando. The guy is is a really good coach, he turned our 04' season around after Pat Riley stunk it up in the beggining, and IMO our 05' team was much better than our 06' team; if it weren't for the Wade rib injury, we would have won the championship.

Either come back to Miami or go to the West.

You'd win it this year?

Sounds like Billy had buyer's remorse....you know where you agree to something at a high price, and then you start having 2nd thoughts. His eyes got really big when he thought about all that money and the NBA, and then probably realized he could be DA MAN forever at Florida, and not worry about getting fired, or having to coach 82 games a year. He should have thought about it longer...now he is in a bind.

Billy must have read this book.

clear.gif

Sounds like Billy had buyer's remorse....you know where you agree to something at a high price, and then you start having 2nd thoughts. His eyes got really big when he thought about all that money and the NBA, and then probably realized he could be DA MAN forever at Florida, and not worry about getting fired, or having to coach 82 games a year. He should have thought about it longer...now he is in a bind.

Yes he should have, but Orlando only gave him 24 hours. I really fail to see how Donovan = Saban (not directed at you Roman). These two situations are so far apart.

Back
Top Bottom