Billy Donovan wants out of Magic contract | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Billy Donovan wants out of Magic contract

I don't want him back.
He's lost all credibility.

I just don't think you should hate the guy for this. hate the guy cause your a Hurricane. It should come natural to you to hate the Gators :D

I'm not saying that at all, but at the same time none of us know all the details. Of course it could have been handled better but I think some are blowing it out of porportion. I'm not sure why Orlando would have demanded an answer in 24 hours, that is a major decision to make for him and his family.

Maybe because there are only a couple of worthy canidates out there with several teams veying sp for there services. They gave Billy boy a ton of money but they can't give him more time then they did to make a decision.
He could have just used the offer to squeeze more money out of the Gators while we lose a chance at another coach.

Maybe because there are only a couple of worthy canidates out there with several teams veying sp for there services. They gave Billy boy a ton of money but they can't give him more time then they did to make a decision.
He could have just used the offer to squeeze more money out of the Gators while we lose a chance at another coach.

No Billy D already had a deal with the Gators to be the highest paid college coach.

No Billy D already had a deal with the Gators to be the highest paid college coach.

Still you can't expect the Magic to twist in the wind waiting for Donovan to make up his mind with that kind of money on the table. It's not an unusual
way to do bussiness in professional sports.

If he was that commited to Fl he should have said no from the start but he' been showing interest in leaving the past few months. He's even had his agent sending out feelers to gain interest.

The mas is wishwashy and has been spending too much time at the Waffle House.

He made a bad choice and did not realize that until after he signed with the Magic. I mean I feel bad for Orlando Magic fans, But Billy had to do what makes him happy. Why would you want a guy doing a job when he wants to be somewhere else. Its not like tommorrow is the start of the season

So with this thinking, you are glad for Saban to go back to college coaching since he missed it and it made him happy. Just wanted to confirm.

I wanted the Magic to get Iavaroni or Stan Van Gundy since the get go, and the word is that the Magic are targeting SVG. If they get him I will be elated and it will be the best for them in the end. If they don't and he takes the coaching job in Sacramento...whoa, Billy really threw them under the bus with this one.

So with this thinking, you are glad for Saban to go back to college coaching since he missed it and it made him happy. Just wanted to confirm.

I wanted the Magic to get Iavaroni or Stan Van Gundy since the get go, and the word is that the Magic are targeting SVG. If they get him I will be elated and it will be the best for them in the end. If they don't and he takes the coaching job in Sacramento...whoa, Billy really threw them under the bus with this one.[/QUOTE]

True that.

Still you can't expect the Magic to twist in the wind waiting for Donovan to make up his mind with that kind of money on the table. It's not an unusual

If he was that commited to Fl he should have said no from the start but he' been showing interest in leaving the past few months. He's even had his agent sending out feelers to gain interest.

They gave Billy boy a ton of money but they can't give him more time then they did to make a decision.
You really think 24 is appropriate and the norm for this type of hiring in pro sports?

The guy just won back-to-back championships with a team that started the whole run ranked somewhere close to 47th. It is only natural for someone who makes that accomplishment to wonder what else there is. What's the next challenge. There is a competitive spirit in all athletes and coaches, and it always rears its head in times like these.
Sure he put out feelers, but how many of those turned into serious negotiations? None before Orlando, and that was a whirlwind transaction. One made so by Orlando's front office with their 24 demand.

I really don't understand how you think that was appropriate. It's not like he was weighing offers from multiple teams. The only other offers he previously received were turned down immediately. The only good reason for such a short decision period is if you've got a guy who is using offers from different teams/schools to negotiate the best deal. This is not what was happening with Donovan.

This wasn't a decision about which NBA team, it was a decision about whether he really was prepared to do it. 24 hours obviously wasn't enough time for him to weigh this big of a decision, and I doubt it would be enough for the vast majority of his peers.

This is more like the Marino situation from a few years ago, then it was to Saban leaving.

You really think 24 is appropriate and the norm for this type of hiring in pro sports?

The guy just won back-to-back championships with a team that started the whole run ranked somewhere close to 47th. It is only natural for someone who makes that accomplishment to wonder what else there is. What's the next challenge. There is a competitive spirit in all athletes and coaches, and it always rears its head in times like these.
Sure he put out feelers, but how many of those turned into serious negotiations? None before Orlando, and that was a whirlwind transaction. One made so by Orlando's front office with their 24 demand.

I really don't understand how you think that was appropriate. It's not like he was weighing offers from multiple teams. The only other offers he previously received were turned down immediately. The only good reason for such a short decision period is if you've got a guy who is using offers from different teams/schools to negotiate the best deal. This is not what was happening with Donovan.

This wasn't a decision about which NBA team, it was a decision about whether he really was prepared to do it. 24 hours obviously wasn't enough time for him to weigh this big of a decision, and I doubt it would be enough for the vast majority of his peers.

You know they were talking to him all week before the hard money offer came. The 24 hour deadline is not a big deal. He should have already have known if he was ready to make the jump or not. No one held a gun to his head. I guess the pressure was more then he could handle.

I wanted the Magic to get Iavaroni or Stan Van Gundy since the get go, and the word is that the Magic are targeting SVG. If they get him I will be elated and it will be the best for them in the end. If they don't and he takes the coaching job in Sacramento...whoa, Billy really threw them under the bus with this one.

Nick Saban lied and Billy D just changed his mind. Billy D never lied to Gator or Magic fans.

He never put any thought to leaving Florida for any other job than Orlando. You can't blame someone for trying to get another challenge. He was never gunna leave for Kentucky or Memphis.

You know they were talking to him all week before the hard money offer came. The 24 hour deadline is not a big deal. He should have already have known if he was ready to make the jump or not. No one held a gun to his head. I guess the pressure was more then he could handle.

:dunno: It sure seems to have been a big deal.

Which pressure? The only pressure he faced was making the decision. If that's what you're referring to, then yes, I guess it was too much.

After taking apart the two situations do you still see him in the same light as Saban?

Nick Saban lied and Billy D just changed his mind. Billy D never lied to Gator or Magic fans.

Sure he did. He lied to Magic fans when he said he was commited to bringing a Championship to Orlando.

He lied when he said he was excited about taking on the challenges of the NBA.

He never put any thought to leaving Florida for any other job than Orlando. You can't blame someone for trying to get another challenge. He was never gunna leave for Kentucky or Memphis.

Then why waste thier time?
Or Orlando's for that matter.

Then why waste thier time?
Or Orlando's for that matter.

All he did was decline their offer. It's not like they were in intense negotiations. It's not a crime to hear what's out there, especially when you're not currently in a contract.

Back
Top Bottom