Billy Donovan wants out of Magic contract | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Billy Donovan wants out of Magic contract

Boston and New York solid organizations?:lol: The ownership and GM's of those franchises are jokes. Miami? Their future isn't bright with the aging, financially bloated roster and lack of young talent.

Orlando has the best young big man in the game, young talent and financial maneuverability. It's the most prized coaching slot in the league right now.

Seriously, did you even read what I said or is the comprehension lacking that much? Come on, man. Read, read, read. Please learn how to read or at least make an attempt to do so.

I said "prized cities" - where in God's name did I utter the words "solid organizations" in your eyes? This is what the NBA is about.. it's about the big, bright cities. This is why when Kobe Bryant's name pops up, the New York Knicks pop up. David Stern wants his superstars in the big cities where the money and attention is. What's so great about Orlando as a basketball city? Absolutely nothing, yet.

Who knows about New York's future. They've got all of those guys tied up, and when they're up, that team will be free to sign whoever. Boston was a ping pong away from greatness, and they'll probably suck again this year so hello OJ Mayo or Derrick Rose, perhaps. And, Miami? Dwyane Wade is ****ing 25-years old. He's a top 5 player in basketball without question. How on earth could Miami's future not look bright? Do you have any idea of how Riley structured those contracts and trades? Antoine Walker and Shaquille O'Neal hop off the books the same summer, my friend. Jason Williams has a year left. Miami is to be LOADED in the summer of Brand, Bosh, Garnett, JO'neal, and quite a few others. Miami will most likely be a contender for the rest of Dwyane Wade's South Florida playing career.

Please stop overrating Orlando's future. Dwight Howard is not going to, but he's already an All-Star caliber big. I'd envision All-NBA honors in his future at some point. However, what is there after that? Jameer Nelson, a limited and slightly above-average young point guard? J.J. Redick, a college shooter who has shown absolutely zero promise so far? Darko Milicic, the definition of average role player? Trevor Ariza, the athletic "superstar" potential that every team has one of? IMO, that team is going to suffer from early success.. they need another lottery talent. Orlando has a nice future because of Dwight Howard alone, but please stop the biased overrating. Honestly speaking, I could see a true KG-like experience for Dwight Howard if the majority of his career is played in Orlando.

You'd win it this year?
He was referring to the 2004-2005 Miami Heat that were up 3-2 in the Conference Finals against Detroit before Dwyane Wade suffered a huge injury forcing him to sit out Game 6, and have hundreds of needles injected into him going into Game 7.

I don't want Stan Van Gundy in Orlando. The guy is is a really good coach, he turned our 04' season around after Pat Riley stunk it up in the beggining, and IMO our 05' team was much better than our 06' team; if it weren't for the Wade rib injury, we would have won the championship.

Either come back to Miami or go to the West.
I highly, highly, highly disagree. Miami's problem in 2004-2005 was really the difference between Larry Brown and Stan Van Gundy. There is no way in hell that team was better than our 2005-2006 Champions. The NBA was simply weaker that year, I mean look at our playoff opponents - we went 8-0 sweeping through Washington and New Jersey, who were FAR worse than they are today. I mean, the role players on the 04-05 team compared to 05-06 team makes for an incredible difference. The difference in Dwyane Wade's game in those two years makes for an even bigger difference. And the difference between Pat Riley and Stan Van Gundy? Jeez. The 2005-2006 Heat were far better than the 2004-2005 Heat. The only problem is, both teams should've came away victorious, not just one. Actually, I feel like San Antonio would've beaten us in 7 that year, maybe even 6. Damon Jones defending Tony Parker's penetration? LORD HELP THE THOUGHT!

And as A Vol fan I would pick Pearl over donovan. I just waiting to see what he can do with his players . He took TN alot farther then most ppl think that he could go. With players he didn't recruit.
That's fine and dandy. I would hope you'd want your coach too. Just call me when he wins his second National Championship :wink:

The Donovan = Saban garbage is horribly short sighted though. It's a convenient comparison, but one that misses with any level of analysis.

Typing from a somewhat neutral POV (not a college fan), I'd say Donovan is an altar boy - albeit a lying or confused one - compared to Saban.

While in complete denial about the Alabama job, Saban was talking to Alabama (thru his agent) on the sly while Mike Shula was still the head coach. That's not only lying and backing away from your initial commitment, but being a conniving mofo as well.

It's always nice when a level head can show shed some light :wink:

This guy is a straight turd. Im not sure why Florida fans are so excited about this. Sound exactly like the Bama fans who didnt care what Saban did to Miami were sayin, I mean who cares what this turd did to Orlando fans right? The Magic sold hundreds of season tickets on this signing and then he leaves because he doesnt want to honor a deal he voluntarily signed? Straight turd.

Seriously, did you even read what I said or is the comprehension lacking that much? Come on, man. Read, read, read. Please learn how to read or at least make an attempt to do so.

I said "prized cities" - where in God's name did I utter the words "solid organizations" in your eyes? This is what the NBA is about.. it's about the big, bright cities. This is why when Kobe Bryant's name pops up, the New York Knicks pop up. David Stern wants his superstars in the big cities where the money and attention is. What's so great about Orlando as a basketball city? Absolutely nothing, yet.

Who knows about New York's future. They've got all of those guys tied up, and when they're up, that team will be free to sign whoever. Boston was a ping pong away from greatness, and they'll probably suck again this year so hello OJ Mayo or Derrick Rose, perhaps. And, Miami? Dwyane Wade is ****ing 25-years old. He's a top 5 player in basketball without question. How on earth could Miami's future not look bright? Do you have any idea of how Riley structured those contracts and trades? Antoine Walker and Shaquille O'Neal hop off the books the same summer, my friend. Jason Williams has a year left. Miami is to be LOADED in the summer of Brand, Bosh, Garnett, JO'neal, and quite a few others. Miami will most likely be a contender for the rest of Dwyane Wade's South Florida playing career.

Please stop overrating Orlando's future. Dwight Howard is not going to, but he's already an All-Star caliber big. I'd envision All-NBA honors in his future at some point. However, what is there after that? Jameer Nelson, a limited and slightly above-average young point guard? J.J. Redick, a college shooter who has shown absolutely zero promise so far? Darko Milicic, the definition of average role player? Trevor Ariza, the athletic "superstar" potential that every team has one of? IMO, that team is going to suffer from early success.. they need another lottery talent. Orlando has a nice future because of Dwight Howard alone, but please stop the biased overrating. Honestly speaking, I could see a true KG-like experience for Dwight Howard if the majority of his career is played in Orlando.

the magic will have cap space this summer. could land vince, rashard, or gerald wallace

So the guy changed his mind is it really that big of a deal ummm.... NO
He has not hurt the Orlando Magic at all

I understand that you are a Florida fan and have your own way of thinking. For this reason I will not attempt to dissuade you with the notion that Donovan is the next coming of Saban.

That said this statement above could not be further from the truth.

-This has turned into a PR nightmare for the Magic. Writers made a big deal about the aquisition, linking it to a new stadium for the Magic. Now with Donovan gone, there is word the bad press could seriously hurt the Magic's chances.
-The Magic are potentially missing out on their NEXT candidate, Stan Van Gundy, because legally they cannot sign him to a deal until the Donovan deal is voided. SVG is currently the first choice of the Kings and is awaiting an offer from them while the Magic try to hurry through this legal b.s.
-The NBA believes it was such a poor move by Billy D that hurt the Magic that they stepped in and are attempting to invoke a ban on him for 5 years to prevent any future actions like this. Recent word is that Billy agreed on it.

I won't even go into how it affects the Magic's image with free agents in this big offseason. Overall just a poor decision that really hurt the team that put trust in him.

I understand that you are a Florida fan and have your own way of thinking. For this reason I will not attempt to dissuade you with the notion that Donovan is the next coming of Saban.

That said this statement above could not be further from the truth.

-This has turned into a PR nightmare for the Magic. Writers made a big deal about the aquisition, linking it to a new stadium for the Magic. Now with Donovan gone, there is word the bad press could seriously hurt the Magic's chances.
-The Magic are potentially missing out on their NEXT candidate, Stan Van Gundy, because legally they cannot sign him to a deal until the Donovan deal is voided. SVG is currently the first choice of the Kings and is awaiting an offer from them while the Magic try to hurry through this legal b.s.
-The NBA believes it was such a poor move by Billy D that hurt the Magic that they stepped in and are attempting to invoke a ban on him for 5 years to prevent any future actions like this. Recent word is that Billy agreed on it.

I won't even go into how it affects the Magic's image with free agents in this big offseason. Overall just a poor decision that really hurt the team that put trust in him.

They will get Stan Van Gundy because its the best job available. It is somewhat bad from a PR standpoint, But its not like he is leaving because of anything bad. Next time Orlando should also give potential coaches more time. Orlando is gunna be fine and this is not going to hurt them in free agency.

So tell me, how is Billy Donovan now any different from Nick Saban? I'll be honest with you, I hated Billy Donovan long before this. But I still had respect for him because he is a good coach. I have now lost all respect for him. And anyone who can condone what Donovan has done and condemn Saban for it is a total hypocrite.

You patronizing me about reading? Are you serious? Surely you can't be, go read your earlier post, post #8 in this thread and read for yourself where you said "solid organizations".

You accuse me of a biased look at Orlando? That's laughable, as your analysis of the Heat is beyond rose colored.

A blurb from the Orlando Sentinnal about the liar that is Donovan.

Billy Donovan owes so many people explanations and apologies that he just ought to rent TV time. By the time he gets done, you'll think it's a telethon.

His list of I'm sorries. . ..

To the Magic, obviously: The damage he did with his about-face was incalcuable. And it goes further than what his starpower presence mean to the arena-funding issue, ability to keep free agents or attract them and season-ticket sales. Bottom line: It's hard to put a price on the damage to the Magic's image.
To the Gators: Actually, UF will receive him with warm hugs and cold mugs. But if they peer through their orange-and-blue colored glasses, Billy also broke hearts of fans, disrupted the lives of assistant coaches and their families and embarrassed the university with his flip-flop, if only momentarily.

He left with two years on his contract. He lied to the media and, thus the fans, when he said he was still focusing on being the Gators coach and was merely waiting on Florida to approve his contract extension. He made recruits doubt his credibility.
To Anthony Grant: A lot of lives were affected after Donovan took the Magic job, and the chain reaction reached Virginia. Grant, the coach of Virginia Commonwealth, was seen as Donovan's successor, and he had to prepare his team, coaches and school for his departure.

But he was left at the gate when Billy wanted back, and probably thought he was fortunate to keep his job.

To Florida AD Jeremy Foley: Foley is one of Billy's best friends, but can you imagine Foley's embarrassment when he flew to Virginia to pick up Grant and had to turn around because he heard Billy was having second thoughts?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/06/donovan_needs_t.html

:lol: The overreactions to this are beyond amusing. I'm not sure this guy was able to write this with a straight face.

Now the Heat smell blood in the water.
Thanks again Billy.

The Orlando Magic have offered their head coaching job to Stan Van Gundy, but signing him to a contract may not be easy.

The Miami Heat on Tuesday entered the bizarre saga created when Billy Donovan accepted the job and then asked to be released from his contract.

Sources told the Sentinel the Heat are threatening to hold up the hiring of Van Gundy by asking for compensation.

According to those close to the situation, Heat Coach and team President Pat Riley could ask the Magic for future draft picks for Van Gundy, who has another year left on his contract as a consultant for the Heat.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...jun05,0,2491748.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Back
Top Bottom