Billy Donovan wants out of Magic contract | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Billy Donovan wants out of Magic contract

:lol: The overreactions to this are beyond amusing. I'm not sure this guy was able to write this with a straight face.

Yeah and if they think Billy Donovan is like Saban they must think Dan Marino is too because he did the exact same thing as Billy D.

Like I've been saying.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-whitleyfix060507,0,188865.column

But Donovan should have known this before his feet started to chill. You should be pretty darned sure before you jerk around thousands of people and trash your credibility.

Sure, he didn't mean to. But from Gainesville to Orlando to Richmond, Va., there was too much invested for Donovan to just hope he'd get comfy with his new job.

Did the Magic pressure him into a decision? Sure, just like anybody feels pressure when they're offered a job. And this search was hardly sudden.

Donovan sent feelers about the job before Brian Hill was canned May 23. His agent was talking to the Magic the next day.

Donovan had long phone conversations with Otis Smith. A contract was worked out, and Magic brass visited Donovan in Gainesville six days after the first "official" contact.

They offered him the job and he wanted to sleep on it. Donovan called the next morning and asked for more time. They gave it to him, and he decided that afternoon to take the offer.

By coaching-search standards, Donovan had an eternity to make up his mind. The Magic targeted him as their No. 1 choice. They also needed an answer before every available Van Gundy was off the market.

Donovan had long known about Dwight, Darko and the salary cap. The distance from Gainesville to Orlando hadn't changed in quite a while. He'd weighed his personal situation over and over, dating to his flirtation with Kentucky.

Donovan makes instant decisions for a living.

The Magic had offered the job to Stan Van Gundy. :boohoo: I seriously don't want him to go to Orlando, wish we could keep him. That being said, Stan is still contracted with us as a consultant, and Pat Riley could be asking for compensation [draft picks] from Orlando to make it happen.

If we let go of Stan for nothing, I'm going to get super pissed.

The Magic had offered the job to Stan Van Gundy. :boohoo: I seriously don't want him to go to Orlando, wish we could keep him. That being said, Stan is still contracted with us as a consultant, and Pat Riley could be asking for compensation [draft picks] from Orlando to make it happen.

If we let go of Stan for nothing, I'm going to get super pissed.

They should offer cash insted with Donovan paying for it.

Either way, a draft pick won't be equal value as we are going to lose a very good coach. I want him instead of Riley.

Either way, a draft pick won't be equal value as we are going to lose a very good coach. I want him instead of Riley.

Riley kicked Van Gundy to the curb and made him watch the championship parade from afar. Van Gundy was done wrong in Miami imo.

cmon, only FL fans think he isnt nick saban jr..........

apparently not
Pink_Dove said:
Typing from a somewhat neutral POV (not a college fan), I'd say Donovan is an altar boy - albeit a lying or confused one - compared to Saban.

While in complete denial about the Alabama job, Saban was talking to Alabama (thru his agent) on the sly while Mike Shula was still the head coach. That's not only lying and backing away from your initial commitment, but being a conniving mofo as well.

Yeah and if they think Billy Donovan is like Saban they must think Dan Marino is too because he did the exact same thing as Billy D.
You know, it's just the over blown reactions that bother me. Donovan did screw up, big time. I don't have a problem with people questioning his judgment after this. It's just the Billy=Nick stuff is so absurd. IMO to come to those conclusions you'd have to be looking for a easy and convenient comparison. It lacks perspective, and boarders on being lazy.

You know, it's just the over blown reactions that bother me. Donovan did screw up, big time. I don't have a problem with people questioning his judgment after this. It's just the Billy=Nick stuff is so absurd. IMO to come to those conclusions you'd have to be looking for a easy and convenient comparison. It lacks perspective, and boarders on being lazy.

You mean like ignoring facts?
Breaking contract\ word.
Running back tucked tail scared of failure back to Gainsville.
Hiding from everyone and telling friends over the phone to tell the media I'm sorry.

The guy has no credibility or charcter anymore.

:sidelol:

Donovan the wuss has Jeff Van Gundy out there trying to do damage control on his behalf.

You mean like ignoring facts?
Breaking contract\ word.
Running back tucked tail scared of failure back to Gainsville.
Hiding from everyone and telling friends over the phone to tell the media I'm sorry.

The guy has no credibility or charcter anymore.

I'm not going to spell it out, because you know if you dig past the surface they are not the same. If you want to go with just the surface, by all means it is YOUR opinion.

:sidelol:

Donovan the wuss has Jeff Van Gundy out there trying to do damage control on his behalf.
In the long run this is probably a better option for you anyways.Almost no college coach has been successful in the NBA and the Magic have potential but really need someone who has the experience to get them over the hump, so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom