Boldin update, Miami likes McCluster | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boldin update, Miami likes McCluster

so you have a guy that's one year younger, with nowhere near the career boldin has had, and his skill level is the same? lol, ok.

Actually if we are really looking for a playmaker at the wr position Bryant fits the mold better than Boldin. Boldin is a great possession receiver who turns into a rb after he makes the catch but Bryant has consistently been a big play receiver wherever he has played.

With over 200 fewer receptions Bryant has the same number of receptions over 40 yards (20) as Boldin, averages more plays over 20 yards (with 91 in his career verses Boldins 99), and scores td's at a slightly higher rate than Boldin. IMO both players are on the same level of greatness as wr's in their careers with Boldin getting a slight edge in rac ability.

Actually if we are really looking for a playmaker at the wr position Bryant fits the mold better than Boldin. Boldin is a great possession receiver who turns into a rb after he makes the catch but Bryant has consistently been a big play receiver wherever he has played.

With over 200 fewer receptions Bryant has the same number of receptions over 40 yards (20) as Boldin, averages more plays over 20 yards (with 91 in his career verses Boldins 99), and scores td's at a slightly higher rate than Boldin. IMO both players are on the same of greatness as wr's in their careers with Boldin getting a slight edge in rac ability.
Not even close. Bryant isn't even in the same realm as Boldin. Bryant has had one monster year while Boldin has a monster year almost every year.

Not even close. Bryant isn't even in the same realm as Boldin. Bryant has had one monster year while Boldin has a monster year almost every year.

I was comparing their big play ability over their careers, not just one season. I also try to take into account other factors such as Bryant was misfit for the first half of his career before seemingly getting his act together, Bryant has played on bad teams with bad offenses and quarterbacks, and the fact that Steve Breaston pretty much matched Boldin's production in the same offense. I wouldn't put Breaston in the same category as Boldin or Bryant but in Arizona's offense he can be very productive. I mean three one thousand yard receivers on the same team is pretty ridiculous.

With over 200 fewer receptions Bryant has the same number of receptions over 40 yards (20) as Boldin, averages more plays over 20 yards (with 91 in his career verses Boldins 99), and scores td's at a slightly higher rate than Boldin. IMO both players are on the same level of greatness as wr's in their careers with Boldin getting a slight edge in rac ability.
OMG Bryant is not that good. And don't give me that "he's better than what we have crap" If MIA is going to upgrade at WR they need to upgrade completely not slightly which is exactly what will happen with Bryant.

Why is everyone drinking the Antonio Bryant Kool-Aid? Our WR core is not even that bad to the point where ppl need to be drooling over....Antonio Bryant? Miami averaged 23 pts a game (22.5) WR is not a huge problem and Antonio Bryant is not a panacea for Miami anyways.

OMG Bryant is not that good. And don't give me that "he's better than what we have crap" If MIA is going to upgrade at WR they need to upgrade completely not slightly which is exactly what will happen with Bryant.

I'm not saying Bryant is as good as Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson I'm just saying he is almost on the same level as Boldin, and that Boldin isn't as good as those top tier players are. I believe Boldin is better Vincent Jackson but if Vincent Jackson was an ufa I would rather see our fo sign Jackson than trade for Boldin.

I also believe adding Bryant to our roster makes it easier for us to run the ball than if we added Boldin. There are lots of factors I take into consideration before I state my opinion but one of them was not "he's better than what we have" crap logic. It's all about value and what type of offense you want to see our team put out on the field.

I prefer to see a running team that takes shots down the field and passes the ball 25-35 times a game. If you would like to see us spread the field and throw short passes to receivers who can run in the open field 40-50 times a game in place of a running game and then take a few shots down the field like Arizona and now New England do then it makes sense you would want Boldin.

IMO McCluster is a little overrated it seems that people are falling in love with him just like they did with Pat White last year and IMO it would be a mistake to draft him above the 3rd round

I completely disagree. McCluster is a former receiver who when he's split out wide is a complete mismatch for anyone trying to cover him. Theres no way a safety or backer can stay with him, and he proved this past year he's durable as a runner too. I see him as Darren Sproles, but with much better receiving skills. Easily worth a 3rd round pick IMO.

I'm not saying Bryant is as good as Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson I'm just saying he is almost on the same level as Boldin, and that Boldin isn't as good as those top tier players are. I believe Boldin is better Vincent Jackson but if Vincent Jackson was an ufa I would rather see our fo sign Jackson than trade for Boldin.

I also believe adding Bryant to our roster makes it easier for us to run the ball than if we added Boldin. There are lots of factors I take into consideration before I state my opinion but one of them was not "he's better than what we have" crap logic. It's all about value and what type of offense you want to see our team put out on the field.

I prefer to see a running team that takes shots down the field and passes the ball 25-35 times a game. If you would like to see us spread the field and throw short passes to receivers who can run in the open field 40-50 times a game in place of a running game and then take a few shots down the field like Arizona and now New England do then it makes sense you would want Boldin.

good post.

Boldin has had a better career but he IS a descending player. You don't use a [high] 3rd round pick for a descending player.

Ideally, you are expecting to see 5+ years of production from a 3rd round pick (ideally) and investing it into a player that you might only get 2-3 good years out of is simply taking a bad bet.

If you could promise me that Boldin will play 15-16 games a season and give us 1,000 yard season for the next 3+ years at a relatively decent salary (don't forget, he will need a new contract) then go for it. BUT YOU CANNOT COUNT ON THAT!

Antonio Bryant has not had the career Boldin has had, but he IS more of a threat for a big play (at this point) than Boldin is and he DEFINITELY has more left in the tank than Boldin.

All this, and he would cost us ZERO draft compensation.

I'm not an Antonio Bryant fan boy or even think he's better. I just think he would be the more logical choice.

I would take McCluster with our 2nd round pick. He does EVERYTHING(including running the wildcat in college very well). If we dont take him, in a couple years, were gonna be wishing we took him in the 2nd round... ala Drew Brees(what they say about Drew when he was coming out in the draft? Oh yea, he was to small for the NFL, thats right)

unfortunately boldin had to play #2 in arizona for almost all his career. While Bryant played #1. That plays a big role. Boldin > Bryant in every aspect of the WR position.

about the bolded part...how is 91 more than 99?:confused:

If we didn't take pat white last year, I would be all for taking McCluster. That being said, we can't afford to take another guy who is a project and a big risk. We have to many needs.

Not sure if anyone realized this, but Antonio Bryant has missed 22 games in his career, while boldin has missed 17...

McCluster: 5'9" 172 only ran a 4.58.. In other words he just might drop so we can get him in the 4th. I don't see us spending a 2nd on him.

unfortunately boldin had to play #2 in arizona for almost all his career. While Bryant played #1. That plays a big role. Boldin > Bryant in every aspect of the WR position.

about the bolded part...how is 91 more than 99?:confused:

I'd imagine that with 200 less receptions and relatively close 20+ yd catches. The average would be higher.

At least that's how I looked at it. Otherwise, it's a typo.

I'd imagine that with 200 less receptions and relatively close 20+ yd catches. The average would be higher.

At least that's how I looked at it. Otherwise, it's a typo.
yeah, probably. i must have misunderstood it. Boldin is still > Bryant

Back
Top Bottom