Boomer, Ck: Tell us your take on the Fins picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer, Ck: Tell us your take on the Fins picks

Bump, would also love to hear Boomer and CK's opinions.

i believe Them 2 and KB are currently working on a piece about the draft.....so dont think their ignoring you....

Not sure I should do this, but I really enjoyed NaboCane's post (from VIP) -

B-

The more I think about it, the more I don't like the Allen pick. He's an amazing player, yes - no one's going to say otherwise. But there were other amazing players there, plus the one guy we really needed, Carpenter. Even Lawson would have been OK there. But to take a guy with an injury that has been questioned, (and you'd better believe that most of the time, where there's smoke there's fire; you're not going to get as lucky as we've been with Poole and Crowder every time) at a position we addressed adequately - if not spectacularly - in free agency? When Carpenter would have given us the solid, fast, instinctive presence we needed to grow on the front 7? I can't get behind it.

Now, don't start on me - I love this team as much as anyone, and I'm not saying that Allen is anything but a perfectly prodigal talent. But when you're a coach with a philosophy that you've defined very clearly; and when part of that philosophy is to have bigger, faster players at certain positions; and when you then pass on a linebacker and a cornerback that, if you had custom-ordered them from God himself, couldn't be more perfect for your defense - to take an undersized DB tweener, no matter how talented - then it can be fairly said that you screwed the pooch. And I humbly call it like I see it: a poor decision that deviates from the blueprint - Saban's own blueprint - to take a guy who doesn't fit, simply because he fell in love with him. Saban deviated from that by allowing himself to be dazzled by Allen's talent and athleticism, to the point that he ignored the excellent players that did fit his philosophy perfectly, and were right there for the taking.

The second reason I dinged the grade is that while I know that Saban is much smarter than I, and has forgotten more football and psyche than I'll ever know, I believe in my gut that he should have been able to trade one of the many bodies on this team for a 5th or 6th round pick. This was an important draft because of the unbelievable depth of talent right to the end - look what we got in the 7th! - and because, being Saban's sophomore draft, it was important that he continue to build the team according to his own blueprint. And there's no better way to build than through the draft, bar none.

On a positive note, I love the Hagan pick. I had him as my third-best receiver behind Jackson and Moss, and no way ever did I think he would be around in the 3rd when we picked. I think we got very lucky, and also that if drafts were steaks, this 2006 draft would have been a sizzling, beautifully-turned 48oz Porterhouse with all the fixins'. And I think Hagan's going to be spectacular.

Joe Toledo was ranked right behind the top ten tackles, and has the raw potential you love to give a guy like Houck to work with. He's going to be fun to watch develop because he has all the tools. However, passing on Pat Watkins here may come back to haunt us. Watkins should have been picked in the second at latest, and wasn't because of the talent in this draft; passing on him in the 4th is passing on a player that almost certainly has a shorter way to go in terms of development than Toledo - and at a need position.

Here again, Saban deviates from his own blueprint and passes on a safety, a position the team needs - 6'4"+ with 4.42 speed, who could even conceivably put on some muscle and become a fearsome hybrid weapon on passing downs.

Put it this way: how many pure safeties did we sign in free agency? How many offensive tackles? So which made more sense here? Point made. I didn't reduce the grade for this because Toledo looks like he might be something.

On the other hand, passing on Matua to take Evans is another reason I reduced the grade. We signed a lot of bodies to play tackle in free agency, but we needed to come away from this draft with one interior lineman, even if it was a developmental guy; Matua was ranked as being the 5th-7th best guard in the draft - and here he was in the 7th round! I can't wrap my head around this one.

But the kicker is that Saban then turned around and drafted Rodrique Wright, who presented almost the identical situation as Matua! Wright had been ranked 5th-9th best at his position, but had fallen to the 7th.

Now, I like the Wright pick a lot, it was the right thing to do here; which makes the Matua pass all the more galling. Wright is rumored to have an injury to his shoulder that might require surgery, and we know what that means...he may not even be able to gain anything from this year because he may not be ready to even practice! At least Matua was healthy, or at least I haven't heard different.

The Aromashodu pick I absolutely love. Anytime you can pick up a 6'2"+ WR with 4.35 speed in the 7th you've got to be happy about your luck.

I can't grade this draft any higher than B- for the reasons I've stated; great picks in the 3rd and with his last two in the 7th...but IMHO, Saban flubbed the first pick and then the Evans pick; and that pass on Watkins may hurt, we'll see.

CK's response, that Allen was lb for lb the most physically gifted athlete to be tested at the combine in 7 years, was a good counter argument. CK, if you read this, what lb4lb defensive back tested so well 7 years ago??

Nice post wade, I think its about time for me to pay for VIP access.

I agree with the review of Hagan, I don't pretend to be a college expert, I don't watch a whole lot of college ball, but I did watch some of his highlights that were posted on a different thread. He seemed to be very reminescent of Chris Chambers, a little taller, maybe not as good as hands, but seemed to have breakawy speed.

To me the only position that we didn't upgrade is the OLB position. However we do have a few guys like Eddie Moore, or Derrick Pope and we could bring back Junior for 1 more year.

As for the Offensive Lineman, again I disagree with that post IMO we are trying to emulate some of the great franchises and have people ready to go in case, meaning, I think the Patriots had a few injuries at offensive Line last year and these no-name guys that they drafted and developed stepped in and didn't miss a beat. And to me that is what we need to be doing as well, allow Hauck to develop those young offensive lineman so that , same with the DT's. We have some Veterans that can play at a high level now for us, and help us compete but we are also stockpiling some young guys and developing them. My guess is so that we can become consistently a good team and win year after year, and have people waiting in the wings developing in case we lose someone, due to age, injury, or salary cap.

Good Draft IMO I would grade a B.

Now please get Joey on this team! To me that pretty much closes out a great offseason.

westernnyphinfa said:

I agree with the review of Hagan, I don't pretend to be a college expert, I don't watch a whole lot of college ball, but I did watch some of his highlights that were posted on a different thread. He seemed to be very reminescent of Chris Chambers, a little taller, maybe not as good as hands, but seemed to have breakawy speed.

Hagan lacks breakaway speed. hes more quick than fast. Hes not near explosive at chambers, so hes not like him at all. Hagan is more like a possession WR.

westernnyphinfa said:

To me the only position that we didn't upgrade is the OLB position. However we do have a few guys like Eddie Moore, or Derrick Pope and we could bring back Junior for 1 more year.

As for the Offensive Lineman, again I disagree with that post IMO we are trying to emulate some of the great franchises and have people ready to go in case, meaning, I think the Patriots had a few injuries at offensive Line last year and these no-name guys that they drafted and developed stepped in and didn't miss a beat. And to me that is what we need to be doing as well, allow Hauck to develop those young offensive lineman so that , same with the DT's. We have some Veterans that can play at a high level now for us, and help us compete but we are also stockpiling some young guys and developing them. My guess is so that we can become consistently a good team and win year after year, and have people waiting in the wings developing in case we lose someone, due to age, injury, or salary cap.

Good Draft IMO I would grade a B.

Now please get Joey on this team! To me that pretty much closes out a great offseason.

Thanks, I know I enjoyed reading it. I'm like you, I'm no expert, but I sure do enjoy some of the posters that are pretty darn close to Expert. I'm not one to subscribe to anything on the internet, but FinHeaven VIP is well worth it. You get smart, courtesy discourse 99% of the time. Besides me, there a very few smart-*** no nothings that stir up trouble, or post nonsense.

I don't know how to grade a draft where we only have a handful of pics, but if Dante is healthy and productive, you've got to think we may have had the BEST offseason of ANY team in the league...

I would have preferred Brandon Williams, picked by San Fran just a little later in round 3.

I have watched Allen for the past three years and I love the guy. Remember in Cleveland when Belicheck and Saban were together, they chose some pretty good secondary folks. I think Allen was a great choice. I mean come on, just look at the Pats success with and without Rodney Harrison.

airtime70 said:
I have watched Allen for the past three years and I love the guy. Remember in Cleveland when Belicheck and Saban were together, they chose some pretty good secondary folks. I think Allen was a great choice. I mean come on, just look at the Pats success with and without Rodney Harrison.

and the Steelers with Troy.

Jason Allen will be a stud i love the pick. Your talking about Nick Saban here and i fully believe he did what is best for this team. I support Saban 100 percent. He knows exactly what he is doing! Great draft imo. GO PHINS!!!!

Yeah, good point about Polamalu. You need that type of diversity in the secondary, its like having scottie pippen. I heard that Belicheck had not drafted a linebacker in the past four years higher than the fourth or fifth round, or somethign like that, and I think it makes sense if you don't have a shot at an AJ Hawk type player. Allen will be a big part in stopping those long passes down the middle of the field that have killed us in years past, ala the bomb to Jolley last year, the bomb from Brady to troy brown, etc.

Back
Top Bottom