Boomer takes cheap shot at Marino | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer takes cheap shot at Marino

3rd and long

Practice Squad
Reaction score
In writing about Brett Favre's potential season. Boomer Esiason takes another shot at Marino, do these two still work together at CBS. Esiason couldn't carry Marino's jock the width of the field. He compares Favre to Marino in that they aren't held accountable at the end of their careers. Here's the Link from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9640211

Still holds some truth. If Jimmy Johnson ran Dan Marino out of town back in '96 he would have been burned on the stake. In many ways it is important for a new coach to have their kind of players/coaches around them. As for Jimmy I don't think that there were better alternatives at the time. It's bad enough the way Shula was forced out because he "lost touch" with the game.

I have been a Dolphins fan for life. But Marino did struggle at times towards the end. But being a Marino fan too, you hate to let go. As a fan and a player. But as a coach your put in a tough position. You don't want to be known as the guy who ran the aging legend out of town. I don't envy the coaches when they are in that position. Farve didn't play well last year, and probably should have retired. He is just hoping to go out leaving a better memory this year. Except it might be worse. I don't believe it was a jab at Marino at all.

3rd and long said:
In writing about Brett Favre's potential season. Boomer Esiason takes another shot at Marino, do these two still work together at CBS. Esiason couldn't carry Marino's jock the width of the field. He compares Favre to Marino in that they aren't held accountable at the end of their careers. Here's the Link from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9640211

I think they are actually good friends. Boomer is always on a local radio show during the season and half the time he calls in he's playing golf with Dan.

Whatever. The first time Marino threw more INTs than TDs (which wouldn't have happened had marino not been rushed back into that 5 int Cowboys game) he retired. I've watched plenty of Marino's games late in his career. He was 5 times the quarterback Brett is now at the same age.

Dave007 said:
I have been a Dolphins fan for life. But Marino did struggle at times towards the end.

that has much more to do with the pathetic offensive talent Marino was surrounded by, let alone the bad offensive scheme.

I wasn't a big fan of Gary Stevens, but at least marino had capable receivers in his offense. So what did JJ do? Get rid of the best one for Fred Barnett who barely played after the trade. An Arena football player was Marinos biggest weapon? Don't get me wrong I loved Gasden, but he was not a number 1.
Then Johnson scaled back a so-so offense & let Kippy friggin Brown run the show!!! Does everyone remember when Stanley Prichett was the starting tailback for crying out loud. Johnson edoomed Marinos later years.

vcip said:
that has much more to do with the pathetic offensive talent Marino was surrounded by, let alone the bad offensive scheme.

I wasn't a big fan of Gary Stevens, but at least marino had capable receivers in his offense. So what did JJ do? Get rid of the best one for Fred Barnett who barely played after the trade. An Arena football player was Marinos biggest weapon? Don't get me wrong I loved Gasden, but he was not a number 1.
Then Johnson scaled back a so-so offense & let Kippy friggin Brown run the show!!! Does everyone remember when Stanley Prichett was the starting tailback for crying out loud. Johnson edoomed Marinos later years.

Exactly. There'd be games where Marino would be on fire, but the offense would generate 0 points because they couldn't run the ball, and the receivers couldn't catch at all, except Gadsden who's slower than at least 90% of NFL receivers.

As soon as Marino suffered the neck and shoulder problems he was done. That injury limited the velocity he had on the ball, and he was never the same thrower after that. Favre does throw a lot of picks (has since Day 1), but it looks like he can throw it as hard as ever, the same couldn`t be said for Marino that last season.

where is the cheap shot????????? Seriously. What he said was 100% truth.

He didn't even say anythign bad!!

Whether or not what he says holds water....Boomer doesn't need to take that potshot at Marino. In fact, I would say the same thing if he wrote it about Montana or any other great QB at the end of their careers.

Plain and simple...Boomer has a problem with Marino....and I hope Marino punches him in the mouth for it.

vcip said:

Wasn't Leslie Sheppard the leading reciever one of those JJ/Marino years? He was out of the league the following year. JJ never got Dan any good help and made him hand it to KAJ 330 times. JJ built a good defense but definitely didn't help Marino any.

Back
Top Bottom