Boomer takes cheap shot at Marino | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer takes cheap shot at Marino

MikeO said:
where is the cheap shot????????? Seriously. What he said was 100% truth.

He didn't even say anythign bad!!

I agree, I did not see a cheap shot there.

Boomer is entitled to his opinion about a fellow ex-NFL Professional who is also a friend.
The fact that Esiason never came close to being as good a QB regarding carrying an Offense, holding numerous NFL passing records and having one of the best throwing arms ever which incedently Boomer you didnt is neither here nor there. Hey Dan! get a map out next time you play golf with Boomer and show him where Canton is because the guy is never going to get the chance to go there unless its as a paying visitor.. hehe :wink:
Seriously, Boomer is Dans friend so i dont think it was a cheap shot.

This wasn't a cheap shot at all. Esiason simply stated that once a QB reaches legendary status with his organization, it would be a horrible PR move for the coach and/or team to push him out of his starting role or even cut him.

He's exactly right. Can you imagine how furious you'd all be if Jimmy Johnson actually cut Marino?

B-LO said:
This wasn't a cheap shot at all. Esiason simply stated that once a QB reaches legendary status with his organization, it would be a horrible PR move for the coach and/or team to push him out of his starting role or even cut him.

He's exactly right. Can you imagine how furious you'd all be if Jimmy Johnson actually cut Marino?
No more than we are at him for convincing ownership that wanny was a great coach and all the wasted 1st round picks JJ got us. Hell JJ could have traded all the pre-4th round picks and got Marino some help instead of getting John Avery and about 12 other people that lasted about 2-3 years in the NFL if they was lucky. Taylor, Zach Sam and Pat were all taken in the 3rd or later.

Team

It takes a team to win a superperbowl not a player . It makes me sick when I hear about Dan not winning the big one. Because of team greed and the Dolphens playing off Dans name and not spending the money for a TEAM . Dam could not do it all you need a TEAM to win the big one . It makes me sick whin I hear all the resones we did not win the big one. You need a TEAM to do that the owner has to spened money to do it. That did not happen. finjim123:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

NYC#1finsfan said:
Still holds some truth. If Jimmy Johnson ran Dan Marino out of town back in '96 he would have been burned on the stake.

But you would have been better of in the long run. Remember how Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys then got rid of the only coach they ever had? Dallas was up in arms and after 1-15 in '89 they were ready to burn him at the stakes but it turned out ok in the long run. Sometimes you have to make difficult decisions that might make you worse at the time in order to make youself better down the road. as great as Dan was(the best QB I have ever seen) it probably would have been best if he got rid of him when he was hired.

i can't say i disagree with Esiason. I hope Favre has a good year, but if his last name wasn't Favre, I don't think he would be starting.

NYC#1finsfan said:
Still holds some truth. If Jimmy Johnson ran Dan Marino out of town back in '96 he would have been burned on the stake. In many ways it is important for a new coach to have their kind of players/coaches around them. As for Jimmy I don't think that there were better alternatives at the time. It's bad enough the way Shula was forced out because he "lost touch" with the game.

Dan kept Jimmy Johnson alive in the late 90s until 1999. It was his 3rd down conversions that dug our offense out of a hole in what seemed like every single series. Jimmy Johnson was a turd. If Jimmy Johnson can't build a team without a Hershel Walker/Dan Marino to trade, it just makes him look worse.

Goin` Deep said:
As soon as Marino suffered the neck and shoulder problems he was done. That injury limited the velocity he had on the ball, and he was never the same thrower after that. Favre does throw a lot of picks (has since Day 1), but it looks like he can throw it as hard as ever, the same couldn`t be said for Marino that last season.

This is true but it's not Dan's fault he was injured. The fact is, JJ didn't treat Dan properly from the get go. Dan was still a great QB before the injuries but the offensive system and talent was worthless. JJ drafted only defense and they had a pitiful OL.

Marino never should have played in several of those games - but the backup QB's - like Huard - were utterly worthless!

Dan's situation was far different from Favre - though there was an ego problem between he and JJ. I think JJ could have handled it better but he had too much ego.

Consider how Saban has been with JJ and Zach - I think Nick has a better grasp of human nature than JJ did.

JJ was great with a group of young guys who didn't know any better, just out of college (which is basically what he had at Dallas). When he added veterans to the mix, they came into a good team already (e.g., Haley, Sanders).

Boomer's comparison is simply not apples to apples. Bad analogy.

UABfan said:
i can't say i disagree with Esiason. I hope Favre has a good year, but if his last name wasn't Favre, I don't think he would be starting.

This is true. But, the problem is with his analogy to Marino who was hurt and the Dolphins had a horrific backup. JJ put Marino in when he was hurt and couldn't throw well.

Even at that, as another poster noted, Dan often saved JJ. The playoff victory in the last year against Seattle was a classic example. Marino was fantastic in that game.

Earlier in the year, when Marino was healthy, he had some exceptional games - better than you'll see from Favre this year - such as the Indianapolis game: 25-38, 393, 2 TD's, 0 INT's. He wasn't that great all year, but he was still very good while healthy.

3rd and long said:
In writing about Brett Favre's potential season. Boomer Esiason takes another shot at Marino, do these two still work together at CBS. Esiason couldn't carry Marino's jock the width of the field. He compares Favre to Marino in that they aren't held accountable at the end of their careers. Here's the Link from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9640211

Much ado about nothing IMO

Boomer is just bitter that he is not in the Hall of Fame like Dan....lotsa jealousy on his part. Dan was a class act on the field and even more so off the field. Maybe Boomer can learn what class is?

Marino's last game as horrible as it was. Was still a playoff game. I like Farve, but the pack didn't make it last year and they won't make the playoffs this year.

PhinsRock said:
Esiason should be renamed the Assassin of Stupidity, can't stand the guy.

but that would be taking away the name of Joe Buck. nevermind we can call them both that

Back
Top Bottom