Boomer's Final Mock Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Final Mock Draft

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
I might as well have spent 3 hours playing pin the tail on the donkey for what this mock is worth, but this is how I, ME, BOOMER sees it. Enjoy. or not.

And enjoy tomorrow. We have talked about it enough. Believe in Saban. He and Rick Spielman have so far played it perfectly. Here's to hoping it continues and good luck this weekend to Baz.

Boomer.

The Mock.
1 - San Francisco – Alex Smith – QB – Utah
It’s always been Smith no matter what. Nolan wants to build an offensive system around him that suits his style of play. There is trade talk but no-one is under any illusion that the 9ers will take Braylon Edwards.

2. Miami – Ronnie Brown – TB – Auburn
I’m inclined to say Mike Williams as I think Miami is interested. I also find the Benson talk from 10 days or so ago hard to ignore; a number of people have said that Benson won’t get out of the top 5. I think the brass think he can control the clock and keep the defense off the field. But there has been talk of contract parameter discussions with Ronnie Brown and many people, the latest being Merrill Hoge, say he is the second coming of LaDainian Tomlinson. He doesn’t have LT’s vision, but he has everything else and Hoge knows a lot more about the tailback position than you and me. Of course a trade is possible. The Redskins 9, 25 and Rod Gardner for the 2 and a day 2 pick would work, as has been floated, but in the end Brown is the pick.

3. Cleveland – Braylon Edwards – WR – Michigan.
They want Alex Smith but won’t get him. They prefer Campbell to Rodgers and they will resist trade calls to take Braylon. Plus they will likely get Rohan Davey or Chris Simms in a trade. Edwards gives their offense options, especially with an improving run game and the return of Winslow Jr.

4. Chicago – Cedric Benson – TB – Texas
The Bears want Benson in the worst way. They are very worried that Miami use the 2 pick to get him. So much so that Lovie Smith, Jerry Angelo and Ron Turner flew back to Auburn to talk to Cadillac again and to work him out again, trying to integrate his talents to Turner’s offense. They came away impressed again. But Benson is their guy and will be their pick. They have Benson, Williams and then a gap to Brown and no intention of taking Brown. If they trade down, then Troy Williamson is their man.

5. Tampa – Carnell Williams – TB – Auburn
Tampa would like Smith and Mike Williams will be hard to pass on given the ‘local’ angle. As much as the talk has been to move up for Smith, they also would move up for Brown in a heartbeat. But Williams offers too much for Grudens offense. He loved his attitude at the Senior Bowl and they have kept speaking between then and now.

6 – Tennessee – Antrell Rolle – CB – Miami
The Titans decision has been made – they will not take Mike Williams. They like Alex Barron a lot, but could get him by shifting down. The loss of Andre Dyson should confirm that Rolle is their guy. Jim Schwartz wants Adam Jones, but McGinnis wants Rolle and he has Fisher and Reese on his side. One caveat is that they love Ronald Bartell and they might look elsewhere because they think Bartell can step in and start.

7. Minnesota – Troy Williamson – WR – South Carolina
Williamson has always been the equal of Braylon Edwards on the Vikings board. He has the deep speed that they lack and with Nate Burleson not a terrific deep threat, that would rule Mike Williams out. They have no intention of giving up the 18 pick.

8. Arizona – Carlos Rodgers – CB – Auburn
The number 1 CB on a number of boards, they will need to take him here or not at all as the Redskins are itching for him at 9. It could be that the Skins, if they make no move high up the board, swap with the Vikings to secure Rodgers because Minnesota know that Arizona won’t take a WR at 8. Arizona has Cadillac Williams and Antrel Rolle as the #1 and #2 players on their board and Rodgers is very close behind. If they don’t deal their 2nd for Travis Henry, they may deal it for Michael Bennett.

9. Washington – Adam Jones – CB – West Virginia
They would prefer Carlos Rodgers, they will also strongly consider two other players – Aaron Rodgers (look for a Patrick Ramsey trade) and Troy Williamson if he’s there. But Jones fills an instant need and they are too high on Jason Campbell for Rodgers to be their choice.

10. Detroit – Derrick Johnson – LB – Texas
The Lions are building some very impressive young talent. Johnson adds to that. They would take Antrell Rolle if he were still on the board and strongly consider David Pollack, but the Lions think Johnson is the difference maker that their defence needs. Look for them to also consider Shawn Merriman and Thomas Davis as well as Marcus Stroud and Erasmus James. Also look for them, if Johnson and Rolle go, to shift down and secure Pollock. Look for Carolina to be trade bedfellows to get Mike Williams ahead of San Diego.

11. New England from Dallas – Thomas Davis – S/LB – Georgia.
First and probably only curveball and trade from me. I have heard that this could be a very strong possibility. Belichick and Pioli apparently really like Davis’ talents and know he won’t be there at 32. They see him as a match-up nightmare for offenses, a long term replacement for Rodney Harrison and a ST demon. The deal will be that Dallas gets the 32 pick and DE Jarvis Green and their 2nd rounder. The Pats get the 11 and a day 2 pick. If the Pats stay, look for them to take hard looks at Daryl Blackstock, Roddy White and Brodney Poole.

12. San Diego – Mike Williams – WR – USC
They have a lot of talent on offense. To keep defenses off Antonio Gates and LT they need further WR help. Williams, the West Coast kid would make them and Drew Brees ecstatic. They would prefer in an ideal world, Troy Williamson, but expect him to be long gone.

13. Houston – Alex Barron – LT – Florida State
They tried and failed to land Orlando Pace. They have been were defensive minded last year and nailed one of the finest young corners in the league in Dunta Robinson. They love Barron’s footwork and hope that he will keep David Carr upright long enough for him to flourish into the Pro Bowl QB that many people – me included – see in his future. DeMarcus Ware will get strong consideration here, but taking one project rush guy last year in Jason Babin, who was decidedly quiet, will keep them honest and they will take the FSU man.

14. Carolina – Jammal Brown – OT - Oklahoma
The team is expected to be strongly considering selecting an offensive lineman with their first-round selection. They will move Jordan Gross to right tackle from playing the left side. The pick is likely to be Jammal Brown. This means Mike Wahle can stay inside at guard. They would like a WR and may consider trading down and getting Roddy White or up for Mike Williams. But Brown has blown them away and they think he can play left side. If not, Gross can go back there and they still win.

15. Kansas City – DeMarcus Ware – DE/OLD – Troy State
They would like a CB, but don’t rate anyone high enough after Jones, Rolle and Rodgers, plus they inked Surtain so that becomes less of an issue. They like Derrick Johnson and Shawn Merriman but they are supposed to be higher still on Ware. Don’t rule out a trade down for Daryl Blackstock who they are also very keen on.

16. New Orleans – David Pollack OLB/DE – Georgia.
They really like 2 players – Thomas Davis and Jammal Brown. If both are gone they will consider three further players – Merriman, Khalif Barnes and Pollack. They prefer the fact that Pollock is game ready and are concerned that Merriman will take time to bear fruit. They will strongly consider Barnes here, but Pollack gets the pick. I think they will move Darren Howard as well.

17. Cincinnati – Erasmus James – Wisconsin – DE
They will consider trading down for Dan Cody and for Travis Johnson, as well as Luis Castillo. But they think James can start at DE for them. They don’t consider Marcus Spears to play in their system. And Merriman also fits that category. Alex Barron or Jammal Brown are possibilities opposite Levi Jones. Thee has been talk that the Bengals might take tight end Heath Miller, who I consider a blue chip talent. They also like Oklahoma's Mark Clayton, especially with the status of Peter Warrick up in the air. But James gives them a legitimate rush threat off the edge.

18. Minnesota Vikings – Marcus Spears – DE – LSU
If Spears and Merriman start falling this far, the Vikings will get a lot of calls. But they have had a great off-season especially on defense, adding Fred Smoot, Nap Harris and Pat Williams. To have a DL of Spears and Udeze, with Pat Williams and arguably the best DT in football Kevin Williams at DT is a great DL.

19. St Louis Rams – Khalif Barnes – OT – Washington
They will be disappointed that Brown has gone, but Barnes makes up for it. He can play RT till Pace moves on or retires then switch to the left. Look for them to take Adrian McPherson in R2. If Thomas Davis is there he will be there pick but it’s hard to see. But they went so far as to ask Barnes to purposely tank his combine workout so they'd have a chance at snapping him up in round one. St. Louis also likes Mississippi OL Marcus Johnson, though they view him as a pure guard and they feel if they get there before Pittsburgh that he could be gotten later.

20. Dallas – Shawn Merriman – OLB/DE Maryland
Parcells wants Merriman at 11, but Jerry doesn’t see him as value there. They like the deal for Green and Merriman is a player on the slide stock wise. Teams see him as stiff are there are great concerns over the 30lbs he added so quickly after the season. With Greg Ellis getting on, they would like to mix Merriman at DE and OLB, although they concede that because he wasn’t allowed the be timed in the short shuttle  one of the best drills for measuring change of direction at his pro-day workout - scouts think his straight line ability is hurting him. This would be a nice value selection.

21. Jacksonville – Fabian Washington – CB – Nebraska
Their top 2 choices are going to be gone – Carlos Rodgers and Jammal Brown. They like Marlin Jackson and Justin Miller, but Millers arrest last weekend worries teams, especially the Jags. They love Washington’s speed and they view him favourably to former 1st round pick Fernando Bryant. If it isn’t Washington, they will take Mark Clayton. One player they WILL NOT take is Dan Cody.

22. Baltimore – Roddy White – WR - Tulane
The Ravens are looking to move up to select either Mike Williams or Adam Jones. They have been discussing parameters of a trade with Dallas for the 11. They like a number of players here including Daryl Blackstock, Brod Pool, Matt Roth and Dan Cody. They also like Justin Miller but again, his arrest hurts. Their pick comes down to 2 players – Mark Clayton and Roddy White. Clayton is small, but was exceptionally effective at Oklahoma. White is more raw but has huge potential and speed to burn. He looks like developing into a great route runner. He will be the Ravens choice. Don’t believe the Matt Jones hype.

23. Seattle – Luis Castillo – DT - Northwestern
There is one player that they want. They will do all they can to get him, but don’t believe at this stage that they will – that man is David Pollack. They have Pollock ahead of Erasmus James on their board and whilst they would love Pollack they will take James if he’s there and David isn’t. They are worried that guys they like all rate as late 1st early 2nds and don’t want to reach – they have Justin Tuck, Dan Cody and Matt Roth as early 2nds, so could slide down and get one. But I expect them to try and position themselves so that they can draft Pollock. One name also to watch is Derrick Johnson, despite the Jamie Sharper deal. If not, they like Justin Miller, but character issues, especially on the Hawks will steer them clear. They like Mark Bradley and Roddy White, but Bradley is a 2nd rounder. They like Reggie Brown, but this is early for him. Tim Ruskell really likes Mike Patterson and it will come to a toss up between him and Castillo. They admired his honesty in owning up to the steroid issue, but this will go to the wire. Having been somewhat burned with Jerramy Stevans and Koren Robinson, don’t be surprised if Patterson gets the call.

24. Green Bay – Aaron Rodgers – QB – Cal
Remember this: Jim Bates is in LOVE with Georgia LB Odell Thurman. He wields a lot of influence with Mike Sherman. Be warned. But if Rodgers falls this far I expect him to be the guy. I see no reason why Rodgers won’t fall down here – who else is going to take him? The Brett Favre factor weighs heavily in Green Bay and whilst they understand that Rodgers has flaws, they think they can work on the mechanical nature of his play and his feet. They have 2 2nds and a 3rd – I expect them to move up to get Thurman and bring in an end and a DT before day 1 is done.

25. Washington – Jason Campbell – QB - Auburn
No QB made such a turnaround over 4 years than Campbell. He has gone from a chucker who looked like a deer in the headlights to a solid player who translates well at the next level. Mark Brunell was hideous last season and the team just doesn’t think Pat Ramsey can do the job in their scheme. They like Roddy White and Mark Clayton and Dan Snyder is thought to be attracted by Matt Jones, but if he’s here and no one has traded up – with Seattle for example – then Campbell should be the pick.

26. Oakland – Matt Jones – TE/WR – Arkansas
Al Davis will be doing handstands if Jones is there. With the trading of Doug Jolley and the slow progress of Teyo Johnson, Jones gives them another weapon with Moss and Jerry Porter. Norv can create a lot of situations with him all over the field, including under center at times. Head will say defense to Al but heart will win through.

27. Atlanta – Travis Johnson – DT – FSU
The Falcons are targeting WR, DE and DT. It will come down to DT and WR, but in a poor year for DT’s they think they can get better value at WR in the 2nd round. Mark Clayton is a real option here for them but with the release of Ed Jasper they have little depth at DT and would like to mix Chad LaValais in with someone else alongside Rod Coleman. If they do take Clayton, look for them to go hard for Ron Fields. They are keen on Johnson and like his inside/outside versatility.

28. San Diego – Shaun Cody – DE – USC
They would love to add a DE after inking a WR earlier and Cody is experienced, durable, consistent and is a player with a nose for the ball. In the 290’s he can play DE in their system no problems. He makes more sense to them than any of the remaining ends and the Chargers love his attitude and his ability.

29. Indianapolis – Dan Cody – DE - Oklahoma
It will CB or DE for the Colts, with Dan Cody the choice to play opposite Dwight Freeney. He has the attitude both on and off the field that Coach Dungy admires and he will bring a big play intensity to the team that they lack. Indy are happy that Dan’s personal issues with depression are under control. He has interviewed very well indeed with them.

30. Pittsburgh – Heath Miller – TE – Virginia.
Despite some health issues, Miller is a blue chipper. Great hands and an ability to get open and get to the endzone make him a perfect choice for Ben Roethlisberger and another weapon on that offense. If Miller is gone, then Marcus Johnson is the pick. They would love Bryant McFadden to fall to them in R2 and they will also address the OL on day 1.

31. Philadelphia – Mark Clayton – WR – Oklahoma
Andy Reid would really like Jammal Brown or Khalif Barnes. He also wants Matt Jones and if he’s there, that will be the pick. But indications are that if Clayton falls, he will be too hard to pass up here. They are keen on Brandon Jacobs, Ciatrick Fason, Vincent Jackson and Luis Castillo and in fact Castillo would be the pick were Clayton to have gone.

32. Dallas (From New England) – Josh Bullocks – S – Nebraska
The Cowboys want to plug someone in next to Roy Williams. They are reportedly in love with Bullocks and will take him in a heartbeat at 42, but don’t think he will get there. Rising all the time, this is a nice pick for them as his playmaking skills in the deep patrol are nice. Mark Clayton is also a strong consideration if he’s there, as is Georgia WR Reggie Brown.

Ronnie Brown is the guy, and I believe he does have the vision that LT has. He's a bigger version of LT.

IMO, Ronnie Brown is the most impressive physical specimen of a running back that I've seen sine Bo Jackson. I thought I would never see anyone come close to the size/speed combo that Bo had, but Ronnie Brown has come damn close. He's not Bo, but he's not far from him physically.

Boomer, like the draft. Does this mean the DOlphins would have a shot a Brodney Pool at the #46 pick?

beejay05 said:
Boomer, like the draft. Does this mean the DOlphins would have a shot a Brodney Pool at the #46 pick?

Don't think he lasts that long mate.

Jnaledu3 said:
Rodgers at #24? Youre stepping out on a limb quite a bit there..

Not really. If he doesn't go 1, then he, as one NFL GM says "better be prepared for freefall".

Wow, Boomer if Saban goes Brown, I'll never doubt you again. But for now, I don't agree.

Thanks for the info Boomer. Awesome information and very insightful. I have one quick question for you though. Do you think the minnesota trade or another trade for our second round pick will go through?

Very interesting draft Boomer. Green Bay would have a heart attack if Rodgers fell to them. Luis Castillo in the first interesting, with the steroid use. Thanks for the work.

Boomer, people are going to think you and I are the same person. We differ on some picks, but out of the 32 players we have projected to go in the first round, we only differ on four.

You've got the two Cody's, Heath Miller, and Josh Bullocks in the first round where I have Brodney Pool, Daryl Blackstock, Marlin Jackson, and Odell Thurman going in the first round.

grendel said:
Wow, Boomer if Saban goes Brown, I'll never doubt you again. But for now, I don't agree.

We'll see Gren. There's lots of info and misinfo out there, but the hard info that we got about the contract parameters swung me. If you got the chance to draft Tomlinson at 2, you do it. I think Brown can be that good, thus I take him.

IMHO more than 3/4 of those pick won't happen. but that is just IMO. i guess we'll see tomarrow.

KB21 said:
Ronnie Brown is the guy, and I believe he does have the vision that LT has. He's a bigger version of LT.

IMO, Ronnie Brown is the most impressive physical specimen of a running back that I've seen sine Bo Jackson. I thought I would never see anyone come close to the size/speed combo that Bo had, but Ronnie Brown has come damn close. He's not Bo, but he's not far from him physically.

I cant help but think of Jim Brown when I look at the kid.

larfo2224 said:
Thanks for the info Boomer. Awesome information and very insightful. I have one quick question for you though. Do you think the minnesota trade or another trade for our second round pick will go through?

I HONESTLY don't know. But you can add another to the list. Cleveland to 2 for their 2nd is being floated by more than 1 NFL insider.

I DON'T think Minny will do it.

Boomer- suppose we take RB #2, who do you believe is Miami's pick at 46? Or does Saban shock us and trade the pick for maybe a later 2nd or some later picks in the late 2nd/3rd?

Back
Top Bottom