Boomer's new mock draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's new mock draft

I love Brandon Pettigrew - I just can't shake the notion that this is a bit of a luxury pick at this point. The Dolphins might have the most needs of any 11-5 team in recent memory, and as good as Pettigrew is, I'd have to hope there's still some better value left on the board at 25 by way of a defensive player.

I don't like the Mock at all. It's not even about Pettigrew. I think Staffordwill go Detroit at #1, Sanchez will not fall to # 20. No Darius Butler, Vontae Davis, Eben Britton, Josh Freeman,Aaron Maybin, .. I love the Pettigrew pick but I don't know it's anyone's guess

I respect Boomer's opinion a lot, but there is no way the Broncos pass twice on Sanchez if he's available. I have no problem with Miami going with the TE if BP & co. think he's the guy.

I like Pettigrew but I would rather take Cook with the #44 or even Nelson if he slides to the 3rd.

Formerly I was on board with the, were fine at TE crowd, but the more I watched some of last years games I realized that the Dolphins are mediocre at the TE position.

I do look for Fasano to improve his blocking but Martin will be gone after next year and Haynos is a weakling so the Dolphins have lots of room for improvement at TE.

Jared Cook isn't just a good prospect at TE. Cook is a truly elite athlete, and freaks like this only come around once in a long while.

As far as the third TE goes I would really like to see the Dolphins pick up Jerimiah Wurzbacher. Jerry is an excellent LS as well as a very good TE.
He is 6'6" 250 with 4.78 speed and is known to be a good blocker.

Wuzbacher could be an improvement over Haynos and save us a roster spot by being LS. He is out of North Dakota so it doesn't matter how good he is he won't get drafted. He will be available as an URFA.

I think Martin could be traded for a pick. AZ,Atlanta,Cinci, all are in desperate need of a pass catching TE. Maybe a late 5th or early 6th at the most????

well, it's Boomer doing what Boomer does. It's different. I don't like the pick for Miami, mainly because I think A)There are better players that fit us in the first and B)I think we'll look at 2nd and 3rd round TEs (namely Jared Cook, Shawn Nelson, and James Casey)

I like the draft with the exception of the Dolphins pick, and I don't see Sanchez making it past NYJ. I like DET taking an OT though.

I have stated on a couple of other threads Pettigrew is and should be a real player of consideration for #25. There is absolutely no doubt that MIA needs better blocking at the point either with their TE's and or FB's Pettigrew would be like having a third tackle on the edge. Martin and Fasano are similar players that are marginal blockers at best and both are FA's at the end of the year. One of them stays maybe, but certainly not both and we all know that 2010 is the year that the Trifecta is focused on so Pettigrew takes TE out of the need category for that year. Further, Pettigrew's strength in the passing game is working the intermidiate middle zones wouldnt you love to see the likes of James Sanders or Calvin Lowery @ 5-11ish 205 try to bring down 6-6 270. Under Boomers scenario Pettigrew is the best offensive player on the Board at that point by far, we would be foolish not to consider him especially considering the depth at OLB and CB in the second and third round is not that much different than the talent at the end of the first.

I can see it happening for the sole reason of knowing how the Trifecta operate with their smokescreens. All we've heard is CBs or WRs going first, but knowing how deep the draft is this year in those positions, I can certainly see them picking a TE first. Especially since they draft 'horizontally', instead of vertically...

Either way, it will be interesting!

I'm sorry, I just can't see Denver taking Maualuga. They have two great LBs already with Boss Bailey and DJ Williams playing inside. Maualuga would be a luxury pick for them in my opinion. Any ILB in the first would be.

I'd be ok with it. Obviously we have much bigger needs than at TE, but if we are truly going after the BPA, Pettigrew could certainly fit the bill. As he pointed out, this team is trying to become a smashmouth, run it down your throat offense, and until we get better blocking out of TE's that likely won't happen. He could provide very similar production to what Heath Miller gives Pittsburgh: very good blocking, and a reliable set of hands. He may not have the explosive abilities of some of the other 1st round TE's such as Winslow, Olsen, Davis, etc... but I think Heath Miller is a very fair comparison.

Back
Top Bottom