Boomer's new mock draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's new mock draft

I would be happy to take Pettigrew. I realize that I'm hardly being original by pointing out the impact that a great blocker has in establishing a more physical, dominant rushing attack.

I agree with other posters that TE doesn't jump out as the biggest need for the Dolphins. But I do like the idea of taking a TE in this draft, whether it's Pettigrew, Ingram, Nelson, Casey, Cook...it's clearly a great year at the position, and we have free agency concerns at TE after 2009. And if the FO thinks Pettigrew is the best player available, that's who they should draft. Buffalo is considering him at #11, and Atlanta is almost definitely very high on him at #24, so taking him at 25 would not be crazy if he's still available.

One of the unfortunate flaws inherent in any one-round mock draft is that, barring a team having multiple picks in the round, we as evaluators have a difficult task in assessing how good or bad a pick is. The point is that our satisfaction with the Dolphins' draft depends on how the entire plan comes together. And it is entirely possible that the plan comes together nicely with Pettigrew as the #1 pick.

Let me try to flesh this out a little more. Here are some directions we could go in with our first few picks, leading off with Pettigrew (realize that I am not basing this off of what happened in Boomer's mock):

1: Pettigrew
2a: Kenny Britt
2b: Brace
3: Jairus Byrd
4: Sidbury

2a: Barwin
2b: Alphonso Smith
3: Sen'Derrick Marks
4: Ramses Barden

2a: Sean Smith
2b: Michael Johnson
3: Dorrell Scott
4: Brandon Tate

The general consensus is that we want to draft a NT, WR, CB, and LB. I feel like I've just demonstrated that drafting Pettigrew, an excellent choice at 25, doesn't mean that we are giving up on plugging those holes, regardless of whether certain people feel like X or Y player will never make it to our pick 2b.

I would be happy to take Pettigrew. I realize that I'm hardly being original by pointing out the impact that a great blocker has in establishing a more physical, dominant rushing attack.

I agree with other posters that TE doesn't jump out as the biggest need for the Dolphins. But I do like the idea of taking a TE in this draft, whether it's Pettigrew, Ingram, Nelson, Casey, Cook...it's clearly a great year at the position, and we have free agency concerns at TE after 2009. And if the FO thinks Pettigrew is the best player available, that's who they should draft. Buffalo is considering him at #11, and Atlanta is almost definitely very high on him at #24, so taking him at 25 would not be crazy if he's still available.

One of the unfortunate flaws inherent in any one-round mock draft is that, barring a team having multiple picks in the round, we as evaluators have a difficult task in assessing how good or bad a pick is. The point is that our satisfaction with the Dolphins' draft depends on how the entire plan comes together. And it is entirely possible that the plan comes together nicely with Pettigrew as the #1 pick.

Let me try to flesh this out a little more. Here are some directions we could go in with our first few picks, leading off with Pettigrew (realize that I am not basing this off of what happened in Boomer's mock):

2a: Kenny Britt
2b: Brace
3: Jairus Byrd
4: Sidbury

2a: Barwin
2b: Alphonso Smith
3: Sen'Derrick Marks
4: Ramses Barden

2a: Sean Smith
2b: Michael Johnson
3: Dorrell Scott
4: Brandon Tate

The general consensus is that we want to draft a NT, WR, CB, and LB. I feel like I've just demonstrated that drafting Pettigrew, an excellent choice at 25, doesn't mean that we are giving up on plugging those holes, regardless of whether certain people feel like X or Y player will never make it to our pick 2b.

So many other needs, and we do have Fasano. But Brandon Pettigrew is very, very good and the pick wouldn't shock me. It would make for one hell of a two TE set.

hey guys take it from me if we were to take Pettigrew you guys will like him and he has better hands then Martin and has also played a little bit at cb so he would be a steal at 24 or whenever we pick.
he lets people know he is there when he is blocking.
this draft doesnt have a chage the franchize type of player but pettigrew is more a impact player then most of the db's in this draft.

http://www.universaldraft.com/Boomer_s_2009_Mock_Draft.html

Not sure how I feel about a TE at 25. But he is a special TE. Still would love to draft Vontae Davis. I think all his character issues will not be an issue with Sparano. No doubt about Boom definitely knows his stuff.
We are not taking Brandon Pettigrew. I would bet a million dollars on that one(but do not hold me to it because I do not have a million dollars).

I'm sorry, I just can't see Denver taking Maualuga. They have two great LBs already with Boss Bailey and DJ Williams playing inside. Maualuga would be a luxury pick for them in my opinion. Any ILB in the first would be.
All of Denver's starting LBs are undersized and Maualuga would add that intimidating force in the middle they need. Also Boss Bailey had microfracture surgery last year so you never know how well he's going to recover from it.

I've felt for a strong while that he's been our dark horse pick at #25, especially in light of of the fact that both Fasano and Martin will be free agents next year. This provides the team with more blocking (not a surprise they love that!) and another receiving threat for Pennington. This would be excellent value and it sure as hell feels right.

I'm sorry, I just can't see Denver taking Maualuga. They have two great LBs already with Boss Bailey and DJ Williams playing inside. Maualuga would be a luxury pick for them in my opinion. Any ILB in the first would be.

it's all a guessing game at this point, but Maualuga makes a lot of sense for Denver IMO. Andra Davis will be one of the ILBs, but he's 31. Williams might be forced to help out at WOLB a bit this season. Bailey is undersized and had injury problems before.

back to the original topic, i think TE isn't the most glaring need on the team, but if Pettigrew fell, we'd certainly have to consider him. as another poster said before, unless someone falls, the value for CB, WR and OLB is better in rounds 2 and 3.

First the whole mock draft. I agree with many posters that I don't see Sanchez falling that far, however the draft never falls in line like people think. Someone always falls so it could be the CB's none of them really possesed blazing speed and I believe Mike Mayock was critical of the whole group because of it. I think it could be Stafford, not Sanchez as well.

Now Pettigrew. I see more and more people lining him up with the Fins at #25. At first glance everyone says no way we have other needs, but does the FO draft on needs alone? If the draft really fell that way I could easily see the Trifecta having Pettigrew on their board as the BPA. The Fins have tons of needs, practically every position one can make an argument that we don't have the either the starter or enough depth (except maybe QB). That only magnifies with the players that are going to be Free Agents next year. So why not? The Trifecta could be thinking with so many players rated at roughly the same grade in other positions CB, WR, OLB they might just surprise everyone. Other than Crabtree and possibly Macklin, their are different opinions on how you would rank the next 5-8 WR's. Same with the CB's. Jenkins timed slow, Davis supposedly has some attitude adjustments needed, is their much difference between the next several that the Fins have been interested in. With OLB, some of us think it is English, some think Stintim, others like Johnson.
If the Trifecta thinks Pettigrew is the BPA, then I think it makes sense.

Sorry but any team that has Jason Allen as a potential starting
corner back NEEDS HELP AT THAT POSITION MORE THAN ANY OTHER!!!

I love reading Boomer's stuff but I have to raise some eyebrows here. TE would be a luxury for us at 25. Especially with players like Sintm or Barwin or Darius Butler still available. Great players who would fit our system and fill a need.

I think they are planning to keep Bailey on the outside.

As for the draft as a whole, I like it a lot. Even though I really want Sintim personally (I don't think he'll be there at 44).

I think it's a good draft because it's so different from most. I mean, every year during the draft there are picks where you shake your head saying, "But there are other players of much better value than him." As well as picks where a team selects a position far from their needs. I think a good mock needs to have some picks like that.

Making a mock of nothing but teams picking their biggest need and/or the "consensus" best value on the board is pretty plain and less likely to happen than a mock that is a little atypical.

We are not taking Brandon Pettigrew. I would bet a million dollars on that one(but do not hold me to it because I do not have a million dollars).

i don't know about that. two of our many needs are to improve the running game and to improve the passing game. one player does both. i think it is very possible.

I like the idea of drafting former TE Sebastian Vollmer with our early 4th from Oakland.

Now Vollmer is of course a 6'8" 312 lbs. OT and would be a full time OT backup to Long and Carey but i don't see why we couldn't use him in some 2 or 3 TE sets.

The guy has a 36.5 vertical and runs a pretty good 40 for a guy his size.

I don't know but he might be a little a hard to bring down once he has made a catch and got a head of steam going.

I've felt for a strong while that he's been our dark horse pick at #25, especially in light of of the fact that both Fasano and Martin will be free agents next year. This provides the team with more blocking (not a surprise they love that!) and another receiving threat for Pennington. This would be excellent value and it sure as hell feels right.
Also next year both Ricky and Ronnie are free agents. And Joey Porter and Jason Ferguson are going to be old as hell. We have a ton of holes that need to be plugged this year and next year. I honestly think that TE has to be a lower priority pick. Our first pick I honestly fee is going to be either a pass rusher or a CB. There's too much need and value there in the first 2 rounds. I'm thinking we grab a LB, CB and WR or LB, CB and NT in the first 2 rounds. Maybe we sift for a good blocking TE on day 2. But our first pick overall? I'm just reminded of Cam Cameron picking Ted Ginn again when we needed a QB.

Back
Top Bottom