Boomer's new mock draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's new mock draft

I like Boomer, but disagree strongly with a lot of the players he has going in certain positions...especially a TE who isn't fast enough to stretch the field, and will end up being a lot like Daniel Graham in the NFL.

You take TE's in the first round for their special athletic ability, not for being well rounded. Would Pettigrew even be a huge upgrade over what we currently? An upgrade for sure, but not enough of one to mak a luxury pick like that, plus spend the money. If you look at the trends of our drafting, who we've shown interest in, and what our needs are, I just can't see this happening.

I've been rooting for Buffalo to take him all along, because I think he'll merely be an average receiver and strong blocker in the NFL. You don't take that first round...JMHO.

You take TEs high in the first round who have special athletic ability. You take the best one, the best all around one at 25. Plus how have those special athletic TEs worked out of late?

I'm sorry, I just can't see Denver taking Maualuga. They have two great LBs already with Boss Bailey and DJ Williams playing inside. Maualuga would be a luxury pick for them in my opinion. Any ILB in the first would be.

Boss Bailey is a "great" ILB?

Really?

I love reading Boomer's stuff but I have to raise some eyebrows here. TE would be a luxury for us at 25. Especially with players like Sintm or Barwin or Darius Butler still available. Great players who would fit our system and fill a need.

I don't see how it's a luxury when two of your three tight ends are free agents and the third is unlikely to stick. Given that we're a running team who like big blocking tight ends, I certainly don't see it as a luxury pick, especially as corners and rush linebackers will fall.

No Maybin in the 1st round?

Was my biggest issue. But I know that the weight gain has a lot of teams very worried. He didn't fail a test, but it has people frightened.

Bottom line is, that it was only a bit of fun. Mocks are stupid because no matter how much you're right, you're always wrong and b) people only remember them as your legacy and not the actual work you do.

I'm not sure that I would be jumping for joy with Pettigrew at 25. Could he be the guy...sure...very tempting...but is he the best value?

Along with Pettigrew...the Dolphins also brought in Dan Gronkowski among other TE's...Gronkowski has the same size and weight as Pettigrew but has better combine stats. He also is a very good blocker but was rarely used in the passing game...the difference is he won't cost a first round pick....more likely he'll be selected between the 4th and 5th round.

Another issue is Pettigrew pleaded down an assault on a Police officer charge in 2008...along with public intoxication.

While this incident is the only one on his record...one has to wonder why he had this to start with...it could raise a red flag.

The arrest was a complete one off. Pettigrew interviewed superbly and is a bright character that teams really warmed to. The speed might knock him, but the arrest won't.

Mocks really are just pointless fun. I found it interesting while listening to local radio that the Baltimore Ravens personel director Eric Decosta said that he looked at Mocks to see what people though their needs were.

It is not far to Pettigrew to compare him to gronkowski. I love Gronkowski but Pettigrew is a great prospect while Gronkowski might not even be drafted

i have been watching player/team visits, workouts news and nuggets etc. As far as i can tell Miami has not sniffed around this kid once. If they did draft him it would be the ultimate smoke screen.

They worked him out a couple of weeks ago.

I like the mock Boomer, because u don't follow the trend by the mock drafts the average person does . . . u use your own analysis and reasoning and knowledge to make a well thought out selection for a team, even if 95% of the mocks on other internet sites wont agree. I'm not going to lie, I was scared to put Pettigrew in my mock when I see mocks dropping him . . . because nobody else was doing it . . . but the kid is too good of a fit for this team at TE not to pick him if available. . . and most have him as a top 15 BPA in this draft . . . and with both of our TE's in their final year . . . it makes great sense and a value pick to boot.

Personally I don't think he will be available at 25 (I mocked him there but I'm not confident), but if he is . . . we need to strongly consider him

The arrest was a complete one off. Pettigrew interviewed superbly and is a bright character that teams really warmed to. The speed might knock him, but the arrest won't.

Perhaps Boomer...but it still happened and he has to explain it.

Smith vs Stafford. LT vs QB. Could go either way.

Stafford to the Seahawks? I smell a trade happening there instead.

Doubtful the Browns take Crabtree unless they trade Edwards. Just too many other needs.

Smith to the 49ers instead of Sanchez? Very possible because I believe Shaun Hill is better than a lot of people think. (Boomer mentions a "Shaun Lee" in his Mock but I'm pretty sure he meant Hill.)

If Sanchez is still on the board at #12 I don't think there's any way the Broncos pass him up. Boomer's right that they need a lot of help on the defensive side but the first thing every franchise needs is a QB and Kyle Orton or Chris Simms aren't going to remind anybody of Tom Brady or make anybody forget about Jay Cutler.

Ayers to the Redskins makes a lot of sense since they released JT.

Hood to the Saints instead of Jerry? I don't know about that.

Everette Brown could fall to the Broncos at #18 but there's absolutely no way they would pass on Sanchez a second time. C'mon Boomer. Seriously?

I don't know about the Falcons passing on Pettigrew for Sean Smith. They drafted Chevis Jackson last year and Chris Houston the year before that. How much would Matt Ryan love to have a TE like Pettigrew?

If the Falcons do pass on Pettigrew then he will absolutely be on the Dolphins radar. However I'd rather see us take a CB like Darius Butler or Sean Smith in the 1st and then draft a TE like Richard Quinn from North Carolina in the 4th round.

Might be too high for Ron Brace. I know Indy has a big need at DT but this is the 1st round and you have to give a higher consideration to talent. Wouldn't Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Max Unger, and Louis Delmas be rated higher than Brace?

Harvin to Tennessee instead of Britt? That is a risky move.

my real question though is.... will pettigrew really slide to 25 ?

I really don't think so, and i think much like boomer that a TE isn't a luxury in our situation, but looking in round 2 to 4 might be a more accurate prediction when it comes to guessing where we'll pick one.

IF pettigrew slides, i wouldn't be surprised we drafted him. But i think the plan is to get some pass rush ASAP, then look for one CB, one TE, and some help in the trenches on second day

but obviously, you can't bypass talent like pettigrew.... on a sidenote, imagine him next to vernon or next to jake... the DE would **** his pants, it's almost 600 pounds of first round talent coming at you ! haha

Last edited by a moderator:
With all do respect boomer, and remember I am saying with all do respect....your mock draft sucked. Who named you the draft guru?

Back
Top Bottom