Boomer's new mock draft | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's new mock draft

I like the mock Boomer, because u don't follow the trend by the mock drafts the average person does . . . u use your own analysis and reasoning and knowledge to make a well thought out selection for a team, even if 95% of the mocks on other internet sites wont agree. I'm not going to lie, I was scared to put Pettigrew in my mock when I see mocks dropping him . . . because nobody else was doing it . . . but the kid is too good of a fit for this team at TE not to pick him if available. . . and most have him as a top 15 BPA in this draft . . . and with both of our TE's in their final year . . . it makes great sense and a value pick to boot.

Personally I don't think he will be available at 25 (I mocked him there but I'm not confident), but if he is . . . we need to strongly consider him

Yeah I know what your saying, but the best and the most realistic mock drafts are the ones that are created not based on ones personal opinons but based on coaches past history or tendency...those always seem to be more accurate. Thats why I really like Scott Wright on Draftcountdown.com, and he seems to get more picks right than Mel Kiper.

Smith vs Stafford. LT vs QB. Could go either way.

Stafford to the Seahawks? I smell a trade happening there instead.

Doubtful the Browns take Crabtree unless they trade Edwards. Just too many other needs.

Smith to the 49ers instead of Sanchez? Very possible because I believe Shaun Hill is better than a lot of people think. (Boomer mentions a "Shaun Lee" in his Mock but I'm pretty sure he meant Hill.)

If Sanchez is still on the board at #12 I don't think there's any way the Broncos pass him up. Boomer's right that they need a lot of help on the defensive side but the first thing every franchise needs is a QB and Kyle Orton or Chris Simms aren't going to remind anybody of Tom Brady or make anybody forget about Jay Cutler.

Ayers to the Redskins makes a lot of sense since they released JT.

Hood to the Saints instead of Jerry? I don't know about that.

Everette Brown could fall to the Broncos at #18 but there's absolutely no way they would pass on Sanchez a second time. C'mon Boomer. Seriously?

I don't know about the Falcons passing on Pettigrew for Sean Smith. They drafted Chevis Jackson last year and Chris Houston the year before that. How much would Matt Ryan love to have a TE like Pettigrew?

If the Falcons do pass on Pettigrew then he will absolutely be on the Dolphins radar. However I'd rather see us take a CB like Darius Butler or Sean Smith in the 1st and then draft a TE like Richard Quinn from North Carolina in the 4th round.

Might be too high for Ron Brace. I know Indy has a big need at DT but this is the 1st round and you have to give a higher consideration to talent. Wouldn't Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Max Unger, and Louis Delmas be rated higher than Brace?

Harvin to Tennessee instead of Britt? That is a risky move.

Interesting points, suffice to say that I think you're really downgrading just how high Denver are on Kyle Orton who did well with a mediocre support cast and now has bookend tackles, a very good tight end and the best WR pairing in football in an offense where my dog could run for 1,000 yards.

The dolphins are 3-deep at TE, with Fasano and Martin setting franchise records for productivity from the TE spot. Fasano was lighting up the league in the beginning of last season, catching everything in sight.

This pick by Boomer is rediculous. Might as well choose a runningback (because Ricky and Ronnie suck too).

How about we choose another left tackle, because Jake Long is a failure.

Or a QB, since Pennington sucks, Henne sucks, Beck sucks.

Tight End is the deepest position on our team. If this Pettigrew guy was a Shannon Sharpe, HOF TE, then I could forgive the pick, but we have so many positions of need, so many critical positions, that I would be pissed off if we chose a TE.

Perhaps boomer is choosing poorly intentionally so as not to give away his real pick... what he thinks the dolphins will really do. However, if this is not the case then my brilliant friend Boomer had a brain fart on this pick.

ps. So I'm not just a whiner with no picks of my own... here are the guys I'm looking at:
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f75/day-1-rounds-1-3-a-247296.html

With all do respect boomer, and remember I am saying with all do respect....your mock draft sucked. Who named you the draft guru?

I'm one of many that would certainly give him that title, especially after I and many others got taken to school in 2005 on Aaron Rodgers dropping all the way to #24 (though I still think I was right on him and SF and Miami both made mistakes by passing on him) as well as Cromartie being a good pick at #16 in 2006 (I argued his injury history and limited playing time made him a first round no-no). Those are just two cases that really stick out in my mind, but there are numerous others I'm simply forgetting.

Every guru's work should be questioned/debated and every one of them will miss on some guys (please, show me someone who hasn't), but I think your "with all do respect" followed by a "who named you the draft guru" nonsense is a joke.

The dolphins are 3-deep at TE, with Fasano and Martin setting franchise records for productivity from the TE spot. Fasano was lighting up the league in the beginning of last season, catching everything in sight.

This pick by Boomer is rediculous. Might as well choose a runningback (because Ricky and Ronnie suck too).

How about we choose another left tackle, because Jake Long is a failure.

Or a QB, since Pennington sucks, Henne sucks, Beck sucks.

Tight End is the deepest position on our team. If this Pettigrew guy was a Shannon Sharpe, HOF TE, then I could forgive the pick, but we have so many positions of need, so many critical positions, that I would be pissed off if we chose a TE.

Perhaps boomer is choosing poorly intentionally so as not to give away his real pick... what he thinks the dolphins will really do. However, if this is not the case then my brilliant friend Boomer had a brain fart on this pick.

ps. So I'm not just a whiner with no picks of my own... here are the guys I'm looking at:
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f75/day-1-rounds-1-3-a-247296.html

This offense requires one, if not two stud TE's. We currently have two above average tight ends (both of whom are 2010 unrestricted free agents) and a 3rd TE that I doubt makes the 2009 team.

Brandon is a huge target, has good hands and is one of the better blocking TE prospects to come out in quite some time. If he's there at 25 and Miami stays at that spot, I think he's a much more likely pick than a WR or CB. I'd be very pleased with the pick.

Which he has done to everyones satisfaction.

I wouldn't say everyone Boomer;

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cross Pettigrew off Bills' wish list[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]...The tight end position is one of the Buffalo Bills needs heading into the draft, but don't expect the Bills to take Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew with their first round pick. Pettigrew was arrested on Jan. 20, 2008 on complaints of assault and battery on a police officer and public intoxication. Prosecutors originally charged Pettigrew with felony assault and battery on a police officer, but reached a plea agreement with Pettigrew in which he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and battery, and misdemeanor public intoxication in the incident. Although this was an isolated incident, with the recent arrests of Donte Whitner, Marshawn Lynch and Ko Simpson, I highly doubt if the Bills' braintrust will take a chance on any prospect with character issues in the upcoming draft. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Al Fronczak
[/FONT]​

Not every team is going to announce that they aren't going to select a certain player in the draft...but they still take them off their lists.

Here's another team that have players off their board;

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]78 players off Minnesota Vikings' draft wish list[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]...Rick Alonzo reports Minnesota Vikings V.P. of player personnel Rick Spielman has identified 78 draft prospects that the Vikings won't take in the upcoming draft...
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Those "red-dot players" the Vikings have identified are marked absolutely off limits as a result of questions about injuries or off-the-field problems. The list could grow after Spielman meets further with the coaching staff.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"There are a few guys we still have questions on," said Spielman. "There's potentially 10 more guys as we sit there and decide whether those are the guys we want here or not." [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Twincities.com
[/FONT]​

In fairness, I was asking for TE Greg Olson in the first round a couple of years ago, before we had Fasano, and when Martin was playing like crap.

This offense requires one, if not two stud TE's. We currently have two above average tight ends (both of whom are 2010 unrestricted free agents) and a 3rd TE that I doubt makes the 2009 team.

Brandon is a huge target, has good hands and is one of the better blocking TE prospects to come out in quite some time. If he's there at 25 and Miami stays at that spot, I think he's a much more likely pick than a WR or CB. I'd be very pleased with the pick.

I'm not a fan of Spielman. In hindsight, he was a better drafter than Mueller, though.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/teams/dolphins.html
Round Pick Player Pos School
Backup - 1 16(16) Jason Allen S Tennessee
Cut - 3 18(82) Derek Hagan WR Arizona State
Cut - 4 17(114) Joe Toledo T Washington
Cut - 7 4(212) Fred Evans DT Texas State
Cut - 7 18(226) Rodrique Wright DT Texas
Cut - 7 25(233) Devin Aromashodu WR Auburn
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/teams/dolphins.html
Round Pick (Overall) Player Position School
#2 WR - 1 9 (9) Ted Ginn Jr. WR Ohio State
Backup - 2 8 (40) John Beck QB Brigham Young
Traded - 2 28 (60) Samson Satele C Hawaii
Traded - 3 7 (71) Lorenzo Booker RB Florida State
Backup - 4 9 (108) Paul Soliai DT Utah
Cut - 6 7 (181) Reagan Mauia RB University of Hawaii
Cut - 6 25 (199) Drew Mormino OL Central Michigan University
Cut - 7 9 (219) Kelvin Smith ILB Syracuse
Starter - 7 15 (225) Brandon Fields P Michigan State University
Cut - 7 28 (238) Abraham Wright DE Colorado

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]78 players off Minnesota Vikings' draft wish list[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]...Rick Alonzo reports Minnesota Vikings V.P. of player personnel Rick Spielman has identified 78 draft prospects that the Vikings won't take in the upcoming draft...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Those "red-dot players" the Vikings have identified are marked absolutely off limits as a result of questions about injuries or off-the-field problems. The list could grow after Spielman meets further with the coaching staff.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"There are a few guys we still have questions on," said Spielman. "There's potentially 10 more guys as we sit there and decide whether those are the guys we want here or not." [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Twincities.com[/FONT]​

Interesting points, suffice to say that I think you're really downgrading just how high Denver are on Kyle Orton who did well with a mediocre support cast and now has bookend tackles, a very good tight end and the best WR pairing in football in an offense where my dog could run for 1,000 yards.

I kind of agree Orton is very underrated and should do well in this offense. He had Crap at wr last year and played pretty damn solid. Im still irked we passed on Orton in 2005 for friggin Travis Danials.

I'm not a fan of Spielman. In hindsight, he was a better drafter than Mueller, though.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/teams/dolphins.html
Round Pick Player Pos School
Backup - 1 16(16) Jason Allen S Tennessee
Cut - 3 18(82) Derek Hagan WR Arizona State
Cut - 4 17(114) Joe Toledo T Washington
Cut - 7 4(212) Fred Evans DT Texas State
Cut - 7 18(226) Rodrique Wright DT Texas
Cut - 7 25(233) Devin Aromashodu WR Auburn
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/teams/dolphins.html
Round Pick (Overall) Player Position School
#2 WR - 1 9 (9) Ted Ginn Jr. WR Ohio State
Backup - 2 8 (40) John Beck QB Brigham Young
Traded - 2 28 (60) Samson Satele C Hawaii
Traded - 3 7 (71) Lorenzo Booker RB Florida State
Backup - 4 9 (108) Paul Soliai DT Utah
Cut - 6 7 (181) Reagan Mauia RB University of Hawaii
Cut - 6 25 (199) Drew Mormino OL Central Michigan University
Cut - 7 9 (219) Kelvin Smith ILB Syracuse
Starter - 7 15 (225) Brandon Fields P Michigan State University
Cut - 7 28 (238) Abraham Wright DE Colorado

really maybe you should list Speilans drafts.

I don't see why this pick doesn't make sense. Everyone is always preaching on here that BPA is the way to draft not just to needs or then you reach. Pettigrew is considered a top 15 pick. If he slides to 25, is that not the best BPA with alot of need based on the pick with both TEs being FAs next year? How do any of us know if the FO is happy with the blocking of Martin? I think it would be a great pick, its not like this FO doesn't take plaers we don't expect, like Merling and then following that pick with Langford later in the draft when many thought DE was a strength. Anyway, we will all kow soon enough.

I don't see why this pick doesn't make sense. Everyone is always preaching on here that BPA is the way to draft not just to needs or then you reach. Pettigrew is considered a top 15 pick. If he slides to 25, is that not the best BPA with alot of need based on the pick with both TEs being FAs next year? How do any of us know if the FO is happy with the blocking of Martin? I think it would be a great pick, its not like this FO doesn't take plaers we don't expect, like Merling and then following that pick with Langford later in the draft when many thought DE was a strength. Anyway, we will all kow soon enough.

Not sure where you got that Pettigrew is a top 15 pick from. Most sites have him in the later part of the 1st round.

Back
Top Bottom