BoSox get Beckett!!!!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BoSox get Beckett!!!!!

The player to be named later could be Jesus Delgado, a 21 year old RP who throws hard and keeps the ball on the ground. The Sox last week put him on the 40 man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft.

Ray Finkle said:
According to the people involved in the trade FL wanted Lester but the Sox said no way so FL took Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez and a minor league player to be named later.

This trade COULD turn out to be a steal for the Sox. However it could also be a good trade for both teams as FL is getting two high ranked prospects.

ESPN.com says Boston told them Lester isn't going anywhere. This deal would make the Sox VERY tough to beat.

It's rough to lose Hanley, but if it was between Hanley and Jon Lester, I'm packing Ramirez's bags for him!

Sox fans HAVE to love this trade, Beckett is a STUD.

RWhitney014 said:
Lowell's lazy flies to the warning track are doubles and homers at Fenway. This is a good deal for him. I'm wondering who the second pitcher, TBNL, is...the Marlins badly wanted Craig Hansen in the draft but couldn't agree to a contract with him. This may be their chance to get him.

Get the **** outta here! (JK) :lol:

But seriously, no Hansen..

FaninPatsyLand said:
Get the **** outta here! (JK) :lol:

But seriously, no Hansen..

It could also be Gary Galvez. He had a good year at A. I don't know how to feel about this. While the guys we're getting back are going to be good players, we all imagined Beckett in a Marlins uniform for a long time. It was always Beckett, Willis, Cabrera, and Hermida as the core no matter what. But we had to get rid of Lowell, and this was how to do it.

And let's not forget, Mike Lowell had a great career here. Shame it had to end the way it did. I just hope the Marlins can pull a 2005 Oakland and be competitive immediately.

RWhitney014 said:
It could also be Gary Galvez. He had a good year at A. I don't know how to feel about this. While the guys we're getting back are going to be good players, we all imagined Beckett in a Marlins uniform for a long time. It was always Beckett, Willis, Cabrera, and Hermida as the core no matter what. But we had to get rid of Lowell, and this was how to do it.

And let's not forget, Mike Lowell had a great career here. Shame it had to end the way it did. I just hope the Marlins can pull a 2005 Oakland and be competitive immediately.

I'm shocked this deal is going through, I pictured Beckett in FL for a long long time. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me but maybe FL thinks Beckett is a big injury risk (which is ok because I think the Red Sox FO think Anibal Sanchez is too). Hanley has the tools to be great however I think the press he was getting got to his head a bit, it's too bad I would have loved to see him in Boston but I'll take a proven 25 year old big game pitcher any day for a prospect.

RWhitney014 said:

I agree there. Mike Lowell isn't some throw away, the guy is a good player who had a down year.

However, I'm somewhat dissapointed because this is the writing on the wall that Bill Mueller is done here. I loved the guy, but this is a trade that needed to be done from the Red Sox perspective. Hanley had nowhere to play after we signed Renteria (:shakeno: ) this past offseason.

I'm absolutely thrilled that Lester isn't going anywhere in this deal. A future rotation of Beckett, Papelbon and Jon Lester gives me chills.

FaninPatsyLand said:
I agree there. Mike Lowell isn't some throw away, the guy is a good player who had a down year.

However, I'm somewhat dissapointed because this is the writing on the wall that Bill Mueller is done here. I loved the guy, but this is a trade that needed to be done from the Red Sox perspective. Hanley had nowhere to play after we signed Renteria (:shakeno: ) this past offseason.

I'm absolutely thrilled that Lester isn't going anywhere in this deal. A future rotation of Beckett, Papelbon and Jon Lester gives me chills.

We wanted Lester badly. But not badly enough that we didn't want to risk keeping Lowell's salary on the books. Anyone see how much Boston is taking of that?

RWhitney014 said:
We wanted Lester badly. But not badly enough that we didn't want to risk keeping Lowell's salary on the books. Anyone see how much Boston is taking of that?

Apparently from reports I read FL is going to pick up some of his contract too. I'll find a link for you in a minute.

EDIT: I thought I read on rotoworld.com that the only thing keeping the deal is players passing their physicals and how much money FL would pay Lowell. But it's not there anymore. I assume that the Sox would pay at least 80 cents on the dollar.

Also there's talk the Sox could trade Lowell to Minnesota for Scott Baker and J.C. Romero.

my 2 teams are the SOx and the Marlisn so im happy for both teams. For Florida this could now mean theyw ill keep Delgado and Pierre which means they still have a feraed lineup of Pierre, Castillo, Delgado, Cabrera, Hermedia and it also means that they can just sign Alex toa 1 yera deal for this year and have Hanely for SS next year. I am guessing that Florida didnt think they could get all taht great stuff from Tradign Blalock, cuz i really liek Danks hes gonna be good.

As for the redsox they have a good rotation is healthy, but hoepfully they wil have a nuff to sign damon if not its not hte end of the world, all reports say we are tradign Wells for Roberts so he coudl spot and it also means that we would have money to spend on RP or we could get a mid CF like a Corey Patterson who it hink has good upside

Ray Finkle said:
Apparently from reports I read FL is going to pick up some of his contract too. I'll find a link for you in a minute.

They have said they will pick up a bit in the story at Espn.com. I can't believe Florida is gonna move Beckett and not players like Delgado. Good young power pitchers are impossible to find, even at these prices..

beckett-1.jpg

I heard that the goatee may or may not be part of the trade. There's rumblings that Matt Clement's agent has called up the Sox F.O. and told them that Matt might be a little hurt if Beckett's goatee joins the team.

Finfan86 said:
my 2 teams are the SOx and the Marlisn so im happy for both teams. For Florida this could now mean theyw ill keep Delgado and Pierre which means they still have a feraed lineup of Pierre, Castillo, Delgado, Cabrera, Hermedia and it also means that they can just sign Alex toa 1 yera deal for this year and have Hanely for SS next year. I am guessing that Florida didnt think they could get all taht great stuff from Tradign Blalock, cuz i really liek Danks hes gonna be good.

As for the redsox they have a good rotation is healthy, but hoepfully they wil have a nuff to sign damon if not its not hte end of the world, all reports say we are tradign Wells for Roberts so he coudl spot and it also means that we would have money to spend on RP or we could get a mid CF like a Corey Patterson who it hink has good upside

You're very optimistic. Alex is gone, forget about him. Delgado is likely gone, too. But we'll get good stuff for him, hopefully...nature of the beast.

MikeO said:
Beckett has only won more than 9 games once in his career in the NL (with no DH) I don't see him having much luck in the AL, especially his first year in the AL.

Yeah, ok. And your basing this on what? Let's judge the kid's career before he reaches the age of 26.

Boston Globe said:
For comparison's sake, in his fifth season in the major leagues, Martinez was 13-10 with a 3.70 ERA. In 2005, Beckett went a similar 15-8, with a 3.38 ERA. A year later, in 1997, Martinez opened the world up to his dominance, when he was 17-8 with a 1.90 ERA. By December, he was in Boston.

Your original claim was asinine, at best. The fact of the matter is that you have absolutely NO idea. But thanks for the input..

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2005/11/21/grin_and_beckett/

Back
Top Bottom