BoSox get Beckett!!!!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BoSox get Beckett!!!!!

Has Beckett ever pitched against the Yankees yet.. I am sure MikeO will tell me how if you can't even dominate AL Hitters how do you think you can take on the Yankees and win..

Not exactly sure if I like the deal... Beckett has had his issues in the past, baring the MVP in the WS. Time will tell...

GreenMonster said:
Has Beckett ever pitched against the Yankees yet.. I am sure MikeO will tell me how if you can't even dominate AL Hitters how do you think you can take on the Yankees and win..

Only the 2003 World Series, I believe and we all know the outcome of that. But in case you forgot it was a complete game victory in winning game at Yankee Stadium pitching on 3 days rest.

Yes Beckett has problem with blisters but did anyone stop and think that maybe pitching away from FL where the air is very humid and pitching in a place like Boston where its cold from April to June and in October could help him?

Hostile7 said:
Not exactly sure if I like the deal... Beckett has had his issues in the past, baring the MVP in the WS. Time will tell...

What's not to like about this deal? We gave up Hanley Ramirez (who many have soured on due to his hitting- don't get me wrong the kid can play) and our 3rd or 4th best pitching prospect (behind Papelbon, Lester and Hansen) in Anibal Sanchez for a proven big game 25 year old pitcher (Josh Beckett)and a gold glove 3rd/1st baseman (Mike Lowell) who the Sox might move to Minnesota for Scott Baker and J.C. Romero and possibly Kyle Loshe.

beckett is overrated, and i'm more concerned about losing burnett than beckett. however, we're left with just willis as our only semi-proven starter. it's gonna be a rough year

lowell had to go, though

kastofsna120 said:
beckett is overrated, and i'm more concerned about losing burnett than beckett. however, we're left with just willis as our only semi-proven starter. it's gonna be a rough year

lowell had to go, though

Why are you mad Burnett is gone? Him going 0 and 6 down the strench is a big reason (maybe THE reason) why the Marlins didn't make the playoffs this year. Beckett at least has pitched in big games and won.

Beckett is overrated?

I really have to question if some of these posters actually watch baseball. I mean seriously, what a ridiculous comment. A 25 year old, with electric stuff and a former World Series MVP is overrated?

Gimme a break..

FaninPatsyLand said:
Beckett is overrated?

I really have to question if some of these posters actually watch baseball. I mean seriously, what a ridiculous comment. A 25 year old, with electric stuff and a former World Series MVP is overrated?

Gimme a break..

Seriously.. Overrated as compared to who.

Burnett
2003 - 4.70 23.0in (0-2) 18 BB 21 K's
2004 - 3.68 120in (7-6) 38BB 113 K's
2005 - 3.45 209in (12-12) 79 BB 198 K's

Beckett
2003 - 3.04 142in (9-8) 56 BB 152 K's
2004 - 3.79 157.2 (9-9) 54 BB 152 K's
2005 - 3.38 179in (15-8) 58 BB 166 K's

Someone please tell me how Burnett is better.. Beckett is 3 years younger also..

There's two keys to this deal for the Red Sox. # 1 If Beckett stays healthy and # 2 if the 2005 Lowell was just a one year thing and he goes back to being even half the hitter he's been in the past. If Beckett stays healthy then and Lowell's bat wakes up, this is a steal!

Also you can see Boston heading into a different direction then where Theo wanted this team to be. Theo was against trading his young prospects and wanted to build through them. Ownership wants to do it the Steinbrenner way. Nothing wrong with that when your in a market like Boston and then fans are at crazy as they are but I just thought this deal showed the Theo era is over in Boston (going in a different direction then he wanted to steer the ship)!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
There's two keys to this deal for the Red Sox. # 1 If Beckett stays healthy and # 2 if the 2005 Lowell was just a one year thing and he goes back to being even half the hitter he's been in the past. If Beckett stays healthy then and Lowell's bat wakes up, this is a steal!

Also you can see Boston heading into a different direction then where Theo wanted this team to be. Theo was against trading his young prospects and wanted to build through them. Ownership wants to do it the Steinbrenner way. Nothing wrong with that when your in a market like Boston and then fans are at crazy as they are but I just thought this deal showed the Theo era is over in Boston (going in a different direction then he wanted to steer the ship)!

I disagree, the Sox told FL there was no way they were trading Lester. So instead the Sox shipped FL their 3 or 4th best pitching prospect and Hanley (again I think the guy is going to be good but his hitting just isn't there yet) for a 25 year old pitcher. Beckett is almost the same age as Papelbon. It's not like the Sox traded young prospects for a Curt Schilling or Randy Johnson. They traded youth for youth without giving up too much. Plus they got a proven young pitcher (how many times in baseball does that happen?).

The Sox are still building the team with kids. Dustin Pedroia is the future 2nd baseman (as early as this year). Hansen in the pen, Papelbon up with the big club, Delcarmen and Lester in their way. Also David Murphy could be up if something happens to an outfielder.

Also I feel that this deal would be done even if Theo was here, it's a no brainer in my opinion.

I agree with you about Beckett's health and about Lowell. However I'll take a healthy Beckett if that means the Sox will get a 2005 Lowell.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:

I agree with most of your post, except the part about Lowell. Whether this deal is considered a success or failure a couple of years from now doesn't hinge on Mike Lowell's production. This deal was all about Beckett.

But as far as Lowell is concerned, it's interesting. Lowell is an outstanding 3rd baseman and immediately becomes one of the top 3 defensive 3rd basemen in the AL, we are talking maybe only Chavez ahead of him and A-Rod is right there as well. The move to Fenway is going to help his offensive numbers, but any offensive production we get from him next year is just icing on the cake. If he doesn't work out we have Youkilis who we can move around to fill holes in the infield.

As long as Beckett stays healthy, which I'm confident he will (it's not a serious arm problem, they're blisters) then this is a great deal for the Red Sox.

Ray Finkle said:
Why are you mad Burnett is gone? Him going 0 and 6 down the strench is a big reason (maybe THE reason) why the Marlins didn't make the playoffs this year. Beckett at least has pitched in big games and won.
because burnett is better than beckett. his late-season tirade ended his career with the marlins, though. too bad

kastofsna120 said:
because burnett is better than beckett. his late-season tirade ended his career with the marlins, though. too bad

A.J. Burnett- 28 years old, 7 years in the MLB
Career- 49 and 50, 854.2 innings pitched, 3.73 ERA, 753 Ks

Josh Beckett- 25 years old, 5 years in the MLB
Career- 41 and 34, 609 innings pitched, 3.46 ERA, 607 Ks

How is Burnett better? Beckett is younger and also cheaper than A.J. and didn't crap the bed when his team needed him. I'll take Beckett any day over A.J.

maybe this trade will help us in the long run (if there is a long run) but its still pretty sad to see josh go

Ray Finkle said:
A.J. Burnett- 28 years old, 7 years in the MLB
Career- 49 and 50, 854.2 innings pitched, 3.73 ERA, 753 Ks

Josh Beckett- 25 years old, 5 years in the MLB
Career- 41 and 34, 609 innings pitched, 3.46 ERA, 607 Ks

How is Burnett better? Beckett is younger and also cheaper than A.J. and didn't crap the bed when his team needed him. I'll take Beckett any day over A.J.
i've seen them both pitch many many times and josh is way better aj seem to choke alway in big games josh was the other way around always came up big

Back
Top Bottom