BoSox get Beckett!!!!! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BoSox get Beckett!!!!!

How many times will I say it "Baseball needs a Cap"

I'll be sad to see them go...

MikeO said:
He has only won more than 9 games in a season ONCE in his career. Yes, the 2003 postseason he was excellent. But you can't judge a guy based on one world series. At some point......do something else! Do it again.

You're missing the point. He's 25 years old and is an ace. He's a proven big game pitcher in the post season. If this was someone like Matt Clement and you said this I'd have to agree with you however considering Beckett's age and also he's been on some bad teams in his career, he has a good career ERA.

Jack McKeon was on WFAN today and said that if the Marlins had hitting then both Beckett and Willis would have had at least 4 extra victories. Wins are overrated a bit.

Here's a better explain: Randy Johnson didn't have over 40 wins until he was 27 and didn't win over 15 games in a season until he was 30. Pedro Martinez didn't have over 40 wins until he was 26 and didn't win over 15 games until he was 26. Both guys are Hall of Famers yet Beckett got to 40 wins quick and had over 15 wins before they did. Is Beckett a Hall of Famer? No but my point is is that he has a very very bright future if he stays healthy. Pitchers start to hit their peak at around 27 or 28 and Beckett is ahead of schedule.

Prime Time said:

This has nothing to do w/ baseball needing a cap, it has to do w/ nobody caring about the Marlins in South Florida even though they've won 2 titles in the past 9 seasons and if they had a cap the marlins would only have 1 title instead of 2.

Ray Finkle said:
You're missing the point. He's 25 years old and is an ace. He's a proven big game pitcher in the post season. If this was someone like Matt Clement and you said this I'd have to agree with you however considering Beckett's age and also he's been on some bad teams in his career, he has a good career ERA.

Jack McKeon was on WFAN today and said that if the Marlins had hitting then both Beckett and Willis would have had at least 4 extra victories. Wins are overrated a bit.

Here's a better explain: Randy Johnson didn't have over 40 wins until he was 27 and didn't win over 15 games in a season until he was 30. Pedro Martinez didn't have over 40 wins until he was 26 and didn't win over 15 games until he was 26. Both guys are Hall of Famers yet Beckett got to 40 wins quick and had over 15 wins before they did. Is Beckett a Hall of Famer? No but my point is is that he has a very very bright future if he stays healthy. Pitchers start to hit their peak at around 27 or 28 and Beckett is ahead of schedule.

Im not missing the point. He is always injured. Randy Johnson was never constantly injured. Randy Johnson was also pitching in Montreal where they never won period. Bad stat to bring up. Beckett was on world series and playoff teams. And he still can't win more than 9 games a year.

Guys are who they are. Clement is a wild pitcher with no control. He proved that this year. Wade Miller can't ever stay healthy, he proved that this year. And Josh Beckett won't give you a full season and is always missing starts. And if he wins more than 9 games throw a friggin parade. THAT WON'T CHANGE WITH A NEW UNIFORM AND CITY! Guys are who they are.

You just better hope Schilling gets back to 100% then you have nothing to worry about.

Prime Time said:

This has nothing to do with a cap. Even if the cap is say $95 mill or $80 mill, if the Marlins only want to spend $40 mill on players, these guys are still gone. Cheap owner. Cheap team. Cheap franchise. GOOD-BYE PLAYERS!

nyjunc said:
This has nothing to do w/ baseball needing a cap, it has to do w/ nobody caring about the Marlins in South Florida even though they've won 2 titles in the past 9 seasons and if they had a cap the marlins would only have 1 title instead of 2.

my god... you just can't let a thread go without making an unnecessary jab at south florida, can you?... you come off as so pompous... not that we'd expect anything less from a new yorker, or new york fan...

look, i understand your anger that your precious Yankees couldn't buy another title and got humiliated on their own field by Florida, but you're wrong that no one cares about the Marlins... i care about the marlins... and apparently a lot of other people do as well... there's 10 million people down here... unfortunately, they're spread out over a vast area and can't drive 90 minutes to a regular season baseball game...

trying to discredit at least one their two titles is a real reach... got news for ya: If there was a salary cap in baseball, would the yankees have EVER won a title?... whatever...

dob72 said:
if there was a cap the yankees would never get to the playoffs

WHY? The NY Rangers in the NHL sucked for years spending and spending with no cap, they add a cap this year and they are one of the best teams thus far in the NHL. You can't say the Yanks would suck if there were a cap.

It all depends on what type of cap (hard or soft) and what the cap limit is. If the cap limit is $100 mill, well half the teams if not more would only use 40% of 50% of that cap and not even spend more than $50 mill or so. Therefore, the Yanks spending at $100 mill or close the cap limit would still be outspending most teams.

MikeO said:
Im not missing the point. He is always injured. Randy Johnson was never constantly injured. Randy Johnson was also pitching in Montreal where they never won period. Bad stat to bring up. Beckett was on world series and playoff teams. And he still can't win more than 9 games a year.

Guys are who they are. Clement is a wild pitcher with no control. He proved that this year. Wade Miller can't ever stay healthy, he proved that this year. And Josh Beckett won't give you a full season and is always missing starts. And if he wins more than 9 games throw a friggin parade. THAT WON'T CHANGE WITH A NEW UNIFORM AND CITY! Guys are who they are.

You just better hope Schilling gets back to 100% then you have nothing to worry about.

Is this what you said when the Yanks signed Pavano. For the 1st 6 years of his career he only avg less than 20 starts a year. Please tell me now how Pavano is a much better pitcher than Beckett.. I sense jealousy...

my god... you just can't let a thread go without making an unnecessary jab at south florida, can you?... you come off as so pompous... not that we'd expect anything less from a new yorker, or new york fan...

so you are telling me South Florida is a great baseball town and supports the marlins? They must all be wearing orange shirts to the games then.

look, i understand your anger that your precious Yankees couldn't buy another title and got humiliated on their own field by Florida,

we haven't bought any titles, the latest dynasty was built from w/in. An example of a tam buying a Championship would be the 1997 Florida marlins.

i care about the marlins... and apparently a lot of other people do as well... there's 10 million people down here... unfortunately, they're spread out over a vast area and can't drive 90 minutes to a regular season baseball game...

Please spare me the excuses. I'm sure some folks care like yourself but overall no one cares or else attendance would be better. You can't draw flies in that building and that's w/ the only other franchise besides the Yanks to have multiple Championships since 1997.

trying to discredit at least one their two titles is a real reach... got news for ya: If there was a salary cap in baseball, would the yankees have EVER won a title?... whatever...

I wasn't trying to discredit it but a Marlins fan was complaining this firesale was b/c they needed a cap and that's not true and the facts are if we had a cap the '97 marlins wouldn't have existed and you'd have 1 title instead of 2.

Randy Johnson before the age of 26

17-26 with and ERA over 5.00...

Wow Randy got better with experience...

GreenMonster said:
Is this what you said when the Yanks signed Pavano. For the 1st 6 years of his career he only avg less than 20 starts a year. Please tell me now how Pavano is a much better pitcher than Beckett.. I sense jealousy...

The Yanks didn't trade for Pavano. BIG DIFFERENCE. They didn't give up any top prospects to get him. You are comparing Apples to Oranges.

GreenMonster said:
Randy Johnson before the age of 26

17-26 with and ERA over 5.00...

Wow Randy got better with experience...

Getting out of Monteral and Seattle helped.

MikeO said:
The Yanks didn't trade for Pavano. BIG DIFFERENCE. They didn't give up any top prospects to get him. You are comparing Apples to Oranges.

Your right you didn't trade for Pavano because you have no prospects to trade. (unless you want to give up Wang or Cano). I would rather have 2 years of Beckett at a relative cheap salary then 4 years of and overrater Pavano. As for giving up prospects the Marlins got 2 of our better ones. But our farm system is fine (Lester, Shoppach, Murphy, Papelbon, Hansen, Delcarman, Pedoria, Moss). I am happy to give up 2 prospect for a 26 year old power pitcher and former WS MVP. The Sox trade of 2 prospects for Pedro was a good trade. What were those 2 pitchers names.. 1 is an overpaid starter with a career losing record and an era over 4. The other isn't as overpaid, but still has a career losing record and era over 4. That trade worked out ok...

GreenMonster said:
Your right you didn't trade for Pavano because you have no prospects to trade. (unless you want to give up Wang or Cano). I would rather have 2 years of Beckett at a relative cheap salary then 4 years of and overrater Pavano. As for giving up prospects the Marlins got 2 of our better ones. But our farm system is fine (Lester, Shoppach, Murphy, Papelbon, Hansen, Delcarman, Pedoria, Moss). I am happy to give up 2 prospect for a 26 year old power pitcher and former WS MVP. The Sox trade of 2 prospects for Pedro was a good trade. What were those 2 pitchers names.. 1 is an overpaid starter with a career losing record and an era over 4. The other isn't as overpaid, but still has a career losing record and era over 4. That trade worked out ok...

Oh please, the Yanks have no prospects........get off it already. They do.

And don't compare Pedro to Beckett.....please!

Back
Top Bottom