BoSox get Beckett!!!!! | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BoSox get Beckett!!!!!

Sheff was an expansion draft player BTW.....

No he was not, the marlins traded for him.

Yankee fans talking about "buying" teams....

Once again, show me where we bought Championships. We have tried in recent years but it hasn't worked, please show me the title we bought. This ought to be fun.

Ridiculous statement. Lowell, Pierre, Lee, Pudge, Encarnacion, Conine, Pavano, Redman, Willis, and plenty of others were not homegrown in 2003. They were acquired in trades or signed smartly.

That's the point, you made some smart trades and also developed homegrown talent. You didn't take on big salaries and get guys jut b/c other teams couldn't afford them like you did w/ some key players in '97.

nyjunc said:
No he was not, the marlins traded for him.

They traded for Sheffield before the Marlins had ever played a game. The reason the traded for him was because the Padres revoked unprotecting him for the expansion draft. Don't mess with me on this one. I know what I am talking about.

Once again, show me where we bought Championships. We have tried in recent years but it hasn't worked, please show me the title we bought. This ought to be fun.

Trivia Question: How many of the Yankees World Championships were obtained while having the highest payroll in baseball? tick tock....tick tock....

MikeO said:
And Josh Beckett won't give you a full season and is always missing starts. And if he wins more than 9 games throw a friggin parade. THAT WON'T CHANGE WITH A NEW UNIFORM AND CITY! Guys are who they are.

I don't think the blisters held Derek Lowe back from sending you losers home in the 2004 ALCS. They're blisters for god sake, stop making it sound like this guy had reconstructive arm surgery.

You are scared. It's ok to admit it.. I'd be scared too if my biggest rival had a rotation of Beckett Papelbon and Lester in a year or two. And lets not forget the impending trade of Manny Ramirez, if he gets dealt to Anahiem Ervin Santana can be placed in that rotation as well.

Come off it Mike.

P.S. I think I just heard a collective "oh ****!" coming from the Bronx.

They traded for Sheffield before the Marlins had ever played a game. The reason the traded for him was because the Padres revoked unprotecting him for the expansion draft. Don't mess with me on this one. I know what I am talking about.

You said he was acquired in the expansion darft, he was NOT. he was traded for, that's the bottom line.

Trivia Question: How many of the Yankees World Championships were obtained while having the highest payroll in baseball? tick tock....tick tock....

i'm not sure but in '98 when we set the all-time wins record(including postseason) we did not lead MLB in payroll and '96, '99 & '00 we led but barely.

nyjunc said:
You said he was acquired in the expansion darft, he was NOT. he was traded for, that's the bottom line.

Semantics....the only reason he was not drafted in the expansion draft (he was left unprotected) was because the padres pulled him back. But Sheff was an original Marlin.

i'm not sure but in '98 when we set the all-time wins record(including postseason) we did not lead MLB in payroll and '96, '99 & '00 we led but barely.

You are getting warmer..... :lol:

P.S. I think I just heard a collective "oh ****!" coming from the Bronx.

Not if Manny is gone, no manny=the demise of Ortiz and your lineup will not be scary. You also still don't have a closer. Now if Beckett stays healthy, Schilling is relatively healthy(that's a big if), Foulke comes back or yuo get a decent closer and you keep manny then I admit I'll be scared and you guys will be the favorites to win it all.

MikeO said:
Im not missing the point. He is always injured. Randy Johnson was never constantly injured. Randy Johnson was also pitching in Montreal where they never won period. Bad stat to bring up. Beckett was on world series and playoff teams. And he still can't win more than 9 games a year.

Guys are who they are. Clement is a wild pitcher with no control. He proved that this year. Wade Miller can't ever stay healthy, he proved that this year. And Josh Beckett won't give you a full season and is always missing starts. And if he wins more than 9 games throw a friggin parade. THAT WON'T CHANGE WITH A NEW UNIFORM AND CITY! Guys are who they are.

You just better hope Schilling gets back to 100% then you have nothing to worry about.

No you are missing the points, Beckett had blisters that put him on the DL. He only was sent to the DL once since 2003 with blisters, they apparently solved the problem, and the only reason why he was shut down in 2005 was because the Marlins were out of it and FL was babying the kid. (Those words came out of McKeon's mouth yesterday on WFAN). It's not like he had Tommy John surgery or anything like that. In fact the blisters might have been the best thing for him because it cut down his innings pitched because we all know how McKeon loves to just ignore pitch counts and have the kids throw, throw, throw.

What's the difference with Johnson pitching in Montreal and Beckett pitching in FL? Both guys pitched on some bad teams (Beckett was on a 1 winning team) but still Johnson hadn't won over 40 games until he was 30 years old. While Beckett has over 40 wins at 25 years old. Beckett has only won more than 9 games once, however the kid is 25 years old and is a stud! He's best years are ahead of him. If he was 30 years old then you'd be right but again his best years are ahead of him. How many times in baseball does a team trade and get a 25 year old ace who has already proven his a big winner?

And your statement about being on a different team with a different uniform is stupid. Ortiz was always hurt in Minnesota due to the turf he played on yet in Boston he's been healthy and put up big numbers.

As for the parade.... Boston is hoping to have another one real soon, that's why they went out and traded to get Beckett. After all the last parade was in 2004 ;)

MikeO said:
Getting out of Monteral and Seattle helped.

And getting out of Florida won't help Beckett? You're totally burying the guy because he's on the Red Sox now. If the Red Sox traded for Johnson back when he was on Seattle you'd be burying him too.

Again the difference Beckett is 25 years old. And a proven winner in big spots.

GreenMonster said:
Guess what Hanley and Anibel have done in the majors, nothing. For all we know those 2 guys may be the 2nd coming of Tim Naehring and Brian Rose. I do think keeping Wang was a good deal for you. But other than Wang, Duncan and Hughes, your other top prospects are decent at best (Melkey, Henn, Garcia)...

HEY! Please lay off Tim Naehring, he's my all time favorite player. I wish he was still playing with them. Great guy. ;)

MikeO said:
Nobody even knew or mentioned Cano or Wang last year as "top prospects". Those "prospects" ratings are way overrated.

No one knew who Wang was but the Yankees were trying to do everything last year to trade Cano for anything at the trading deadline yet no one wanted him because they thought he was an overrated prospect. The Yankees got lucky in that aspect that no one thought he was any good. Which goes to show you how not even some scouts can judge talent.

GreenMonster said:
Then how do you know that giving up Hanley and Anibal for Beckett is a bad trade. Maybe those 2 guys are the worst 2 prospects we have and we have just been hyping them all these years to trade them..

If Hanley was still with the Red Sox he'd be the 4th best prospect we had (behind Papelbon, Lester and Hansen) and best hitting prospect. Anibal is the Sox 4th best pitching prospect behind Papelbon, Lester and Hansen. Hanley before the 2005 season was the Sox #1 prospect and apparently if Hanley was on the Sox in 2006 he'd be ranked #3 (at highest) due to his bad season in Double A.

Good point about hyping up prospects though every team does it. I'm sure when people like Hall of Famer Gammons mentions Hanley in his column every other week didn't hurt either.

GreenMonster said:
Then how do you know that giving up Hanley and Anibal for Beckett is a bad trade.
I never said it waas a bad trade! WHERE DID I EVER SAY THAT! Now you are putting words in my mouth.

I just said Beckett isn't a superstar pitcher. He had one great world series in 2003 and didn't do anything before that or since. It's a good trade for Boston but if you think Beckett is a FRONTLINE pitcher your nuts. He is a solid #2 or #3 starter in Boston. And I think he will have trouble adjusting to the AL

Section126 said:
Yankee fans talking about "buying" teams.... :lol:

PRICELESS!

I got no problem with buying a champinoship. SOME of you seem to think the Yanks are the ONLY ones that do it though. :shakeno: Please..

Ray Finkle said:
And getting out of Florida won't help Beckett? You're totally burying the guy because he's on the Red Sox now. If the Red Sox traded for Johnson back when he was on Seattle you'd be burying him too.

When did Monteral and Seattle win a world series :shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom