BoSox get Beckett!!!!! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BoSox get Beckett!!!!!

MikeO said:
Oh please, the Yanks have no prospects........get off it already. They do.

And don't compare Pedro to Beckett.....please!

Thats funny you guys tried to get Beckett also, only to realize the only prospect you had that the Marlins wanted was Wang. Pitchers like Beckett don't come along very often, and certainly not for trade. There are not many pitchers in baseball today with a higher ceiling than Beckett.

dob72 said:
hahahahahahahaha thats the funniest sh1t i have ever read u should work for jay leno

go back and show me the years(w/ details) about how we "bought" CHampionships?

GreenMonster said:
Thats funny you guys tried to get Beckett also, only to realize the only prospect you had that the Marlins wanted was Wang. Pitchers like Beckett don't come along very often, and certainly not for trade. There are not many pitchers in baseball today with a higher ceiling than Beckett.

I'm happy with Wang. I have no problem keeping him. He proved this year he can pitch in New York and pitch in the bright spotlight with no problems.

MikeO said:
I'm happy with Wang. I have no problem keeping him. He proved this year he can pitch in New York and pitch in the bright spotlight with no problems.

Guess what Hanley and Anibel have done in the majors, nothing. For all we know those 2 guys may be the 2nd coming of Tim Naehring and Brian Rose. I do think keeping Wang was a good deal for you. But other than Wang, Duncan and Hughes, your other top prospects are decent at best (Melkey, Henn, Garcia)...

GreenMonster said:
It all started when you bought Babe Ruth..

And I guess Ortiz, Manny, and Schilling came up through your farm system..:shakeno:

GreenMonster said:
Guess what Hanley and Anibel have done in the majors, nothing. For all we know those 2 guys may be the 2nd coming of Tim Naehring and Brian Rose. I do think keeping Wang was a good deal for you. But other than Wang, Duncan and Hughes, your other top prospects are decent at best (Melkey, Henn, Garcia)...

Nobody even knew or mentioned Cano or Wang last year as "top prospects". Those "prospects" ratings are way overrated.

nyjunc said:
I wasn't trying to discredit it but a Marlins fan was complaining this firesale was b/c they needed a cap and that's not true and the facts are if we had a cap the '97 marlins wouldn't have existed and you'd have 1 title instead of 2.

You really should know what you are talking about before you post on a subject.

The average salary in 1997 was $1,383,578. The Marlins were 7th in Payroll.

The average salary of a Marlins player was $1,776,200. (30 players)

That is a +13,087 overage per player....

The minimum salary was $150,000.

All this means is that the 1997 Marlins would have been $300,000 over the cap.....I think they would have come under the cap and still won.

So...no...you are wrong...a salary cap would not have prevented the 1997 Marlins from winning.

The Marlins only added two free agents of any significance in 1997. Bobby Bonilla and Moises Alou.

MikeO said:
Nobody even knew or mentioned Cano or Wang last year as "top prospects". Those "prospects" ratings are way overrated.

Then how do you know that giving up Hanley and Anibal for Beckett is a bad trade. Maybe those 2 guys are the worst 2 prospects we have and we have just been hyping them all these years to trade them..

Section126 said:
You really should know what you are talking about before you post on a subject.

The average salary in 1997 was $1,383,578. The Marlins were 7th in Payroll.

The average salary of a Marlins player was $1,776,200. (30 players)

That is a +13,087 overage per player....

The minimum salary was $150,000.

All this means is that the 1997 Marlins would have been $300,000 over the cap.....I think they would have come under the cap and still won.

So...no...you are wrong...a salary cap would not have prevented the 1997 Marlins from winning.

The Marlins only added two free agents of any significance in 1997. Bobby Bonilla and Moises Alou.

They bought 90% of the team and the best players on the team. Sheff, Bonilla, Alou, Brown, Leiter, White, Counsell, Fernandez, Hernandez, Nen,... The list goes on and on. They won it the right way in 2003 but the '97 ws 90% bought and that's why they had to have a firesale in the offseason.

nyjunc said:
They bought 90% of the team and the best players on the team. Sheff, Bonilla, Alou, Brown, Leiter, White, Counsell, Fernandez, Hernandez, Nen,... The list goes on and on. They won it the right way in 2003 but the '97 ws 90% bought and that's why they had to have a firesale in the offseason.

Stop it already.

You are wrong.

Sheff was an expansion draft player BTW.....

The other players were aquirred through free agency over three years....

The only players added through FA in 1997 were Bonilla and Alou.

nyjunc said:

Ridiculous statement. Lowell, Pierre, Lee, Pudge, Encarnacion, Conine, Pavano, Redman, Willis, and plenty of others were not homegrown in 2003. They were acquired in trades or signed smartly.

In 1997, Sheff had been there since '93, Conine was an expansion player, Leiter and Brown were both acquired before, Counsell was an in-season pickup (no one else ever does that, right?), Hernandez was signed out of Cuba, Nen had been there for years.

No team is ever completely homegrown anymore. That's the way it is now.

Back
Top Bottom