Brandon Marshal / Vontae Davis trades Philbin moves? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Marshal / Vontae Davis trades Philbin moves?

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
People are quick to point to Ireland for these trades, but could it be these are Philbin moves? From Hard Knocks, it appears Philbin stresses character above all. It seems he was responsible for the Chad Johnson cut for those reasons, and now it seems like he is behind the Marshall and Vontae moves as well, because it fits under the same banner.

Unfortunately, while I agree high character is important for a football, it is coming at the expense of a SERIOUS talent drain. As a result of the Vontae and Marshall trades, we now have the worst WR corps AND secondary in the league.

Obviously, Ireland isn't absolved, because he brought these guys in in the first place, and in the case of Marshall, might not have gotten the best value, but it seems obvious to me that these two moves were Philbin directives to create a team that is on board with his way of doing things.

People are quick to point to Ireland for these trades, but could it be these are Philbin moves? From Hard Knocks, it appears Philbin stresses character above all. It seems he was responsible for the Chad Johnson cut for those reasons, and now it seems like he is behind the Marshall and Vontae moves as well, because it fits under the same banner.

Unfortunately, while I agree high character is important for a football, it is coming at the expense of a SERIOUS talent drain. As a result of the Vontae and Marshall trades, we now have the worst WR corps AND secondary in the league.

Obviously, Ireland isn't absolved, because he brought these guys in in the first place, and in the case of Marshall, might not have gotten the best value, but it seems obvious to me that these two moves were Philbin directives to create a team that is on board with his way of doing things.

I have already started a thread like this, but you have strong insight. It needs to be discussed, but somehow Joe is Teflon around here.

I definitely think these are Philbin moves -- not the details, but the impetus. Also suggests that he and Ireland have a few years of job security because they must know we are going to blow this year.

Vontae got beat out by Marshall, so with that Marshall is the better corner. It sucks because he was a first rounder but Vontae is highly overrated. He is good for giving up at least one 50 yarder per game.

I don't know what they think character is. The coaching staff swears and cusses up a storm and uses the Lord's name in vain. And there's Ireland???.... Yet they are stressing character??

Based on what I saw in the Atlanta game... I am not clear as to why Marshall was slotted above Davis, his performance in that game it seemed claer that it should have just been a move to motivate Davis.

See sig.

Anything and everything that occurs on this team gets run past Irelands desk. No roster move happens without Irelands approval.

At some point in time, people need to hold Ireland accountable. The guy has been throwing others under the bus for half a decade. He has been handsomely paid these last 5 years, its time he takes the responsibility that comes with those fat checks.

I'm fine with the idea of trading away talent you invested high in for future assets, but history doesn't indicate that we draft well so thats why its alarming

See sig.

Anything and everything that occurs on this team gets run past Irelands desk. No roster move happens without Irelands approval.

At some point in time, people need to hold Ireland accountable. The guy has been throwing others under the bus for half a decade. He has been handsomely paid these last 5 years, its time he takes the responsibility that comes with those fat checks.

The GM's job is to get players that the coach wants to work with. If the coach goes up to Ireland and says "Hey, this guy doesn't fit what we want to do", at that point, its Ireland's job to get rid of the guy and get the best value possible for him.

I could care less about trading Vontae, as long as we either get a top reciever or someone else is drafting next year. You cant keep spending high picks on players, and then getting less for them in a few seasons, then picking scrubs with the aquired picks.

The GM's job is to get players that the coach wants to work with. If the coach goes up to Ireland and says "Hey, this guy doesn't fit what we want to do", at that point, its Ireland's job to get rid of the guy and get the best value possible for him.

The Gm's job is to get talented players and build a winning roster. Period.

If he drafts players that can play in multiple systems then we dont have to rebuild the roster every single time we have a coaching change. Good teams draft with the assumption that they might lose a coach(either to firing or the coach gets promoted). The "scheme" excuse is just that, an excuse. A shinny object that people can focus on. It reminds me of earlier in the offseason when Ireland assured everyone he "had a plan". Well, the plan was complete garbage, but people were reassured just the same.

Its Irelands job to tell Philbin "no" when Philbin makes bad requests. Jake Long doesnt exactly fit the "scheme" Philbin wants, but Long is such a good player you dont get rid of him for something so petty. If Ireland is refusing to tell Philbin he is destroying the roster, then thats on Ireland.

Philbin doesn't make the moves...he provides input. He specifically stated this verbatim on hard knocks!

I could care less about trading Vontae, as long as we either get a top reciever or someone else is drafting next year. You cant keep spending high picks on players, and then getting less for them in a few seasons, then picking scrubs with the aquired picks.

Darn straight. That's how Cam Cameron went 1-15 (and one and done), and that's all Philbin reminds me of right now.

I am surprised we didn't go after Tebow just for the fact he is a high character guy.

Oh I see. That's how it works with you and your boss right?

He just runs by you everyone who your working with in the office and then YOU approve them?

Jesus the Ireland excuses are getting just as bad as the Henne ones.

Back
Top Bottom