Brandon Marshall Extremely Impressive | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Marshall Extremely Impressive

i'm not so sure you want to go there...revis is every bit a match for brandon marshall...should be some battle between those 2 the next 5 years

I agree Revis is tops in the league, but he can't cover everybody. I have a feeling the Jets are gonna hate going against our receivers

I agree Revis is tops in the league, but he can't cover everybody. I have a feeling the Jets are gonna hate going against our receivers
If Revis does it for a couple more seasons I may agree with you. Right now, he has a long way to go to beat out Nnamdi. Remember, Cromartie was one of the best in the league after one crazy season a few years ago.

sheesh, Smitty is getting a lot of critism. Was he great last year? Not by any means. Some was on him, some was on scheme, some was on supporting cast. BUT both he and Vontae showed enough that should be encouraging to Fin fans, not discouraging.

We all know Sean isn't the most physical guy, so going up against Marshall should help there. It's a very big difference practicing against Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo than it is Brandon Marshall.

Also like to point out that Smith was a WR his freshmen year at Utah, so his rookie year was only his 3rd season as a CB. Very raw talent with room to improve and he has a great secondary coach and a great DC now. If he regresses, then I'll be worried.

As for Marshall, from things I've read from both Miami and Denver sources, I'm starting to believe that Denver was not the greatest run organization under Mike Shannahan the last couple of years before McDaniels got there. McDaniels may not be making a lot of fans in Denver, but he's rebuilding a team in a different image. Shanny really ran a loose ship. Maybe the situation there was just a bad one for Marshall

Opposing QB rating tells us pretty much all we need to know about how well they did in coverage, no? And I never said Smith was the worst, I said he was one of the worst. He was. The numbers don't lie. You call it grasping at straws because it makes you sound foolish.

And please - you guys call him Sean "shutdown" Smith. Lmao

You cannot take the default sort order of any positional ranking on that site because it has retarded results. Please browse through each position ranking default order to see what I mean.

It's a lot more complicated than that, and if you're not complete moron, you know that. N. Asomugha QB rating against was 98.2 - worse than just about every CB anyone thinks is any good. You have to consider QB pressure, how much help the CB is getting, the WR's the CB is cover, etc. Smith and Davis received VERY little help, went up against most of the top passing games in the league, and didn't benefit from consistent QB pressure. I'm not saying either had Pro Bowl seasons, but they held their own pretty well, considering the situations they were put in.

what, Brandon Marshall impressive...what did u expect, he is only one of the best wr's in the league

How great does it feel to have him?!? Im so pumped to see him play. And he has been perfect so far, so dumb ****lol.. And yes i love our courners! Smith and Von will be something down the road.. SOOOO awesome having top 5 WR thats perfect for us. Breaks tackels, catches everything, monsteer!!!1

I honestly have not been impressed by Smith on or off the field. V. Davis on the other I have high hopes for, he just seems to really want to be great at what he does and works at it.

I honestly have not been impressed by Smith on or off the field. V. Davis on the other I have high hopes for, he just seems to really want to be great at what he does and works at it.

Unforuntely I agree. On draft day I was more excited about Sean Smith over Vontae Davis and my friend who currently goes to University of Utah had nothing but great things to say about the guy. Now a season later, Vontae is clearly over Sean Smith for now.

I must disagree with your methodology of ranking. You cannot use one facet of player statistics to represent the overall ability of that player. This is a classic example of using statistics to misrepresent reality and hence there are outliers to the process as already mentioned. A much better statistic to use for comparison purposes is one that takes into account many aspects of the players being compared. PFF already has one calculated called 'overall' in the rating section. This is comprised of pass rush, pass coverage, run defense, and penalties.

When sorting by this statistic, Sean Smith is #32 out of 107 while Cromartie is 56th. Clearly Smith is not great but well within the top half while Cromartie is clearly in the bottom half.
Opposing QB rating takes a number of things into the equation itself. You've seen the formula for QB rating, I'm sure. The "overall" rating by PFF is complete bull**** if you take some time to look at the ratings they have. Here are some I came up with real quick one day (about 5 minutes). I'm sure I could come up with a ton of stupid "overall" ratings if I felt like spending more time on there.

According to ProFootballFocus "overall rating" the following is true:
  • Kerry Rhodes was the 2nd best safety in the NFL last year.
  • Jericho Cotchery was the 8th best WR in the NFL last year.
  • Ben Hartsock (2nd string blocking TE) was the 17th best TE in the NFL last year.
  • Tony Richardson was the 29th best FB in the NFL last year.
  • Thomas Jones was the 56th best RB in the NFL last year.
  • Kris Jenkins was the 26th best NT in the NFL but Sione Pouha (his backup) was the 5th best and Marqious Douglass (DE) was the 22nd best.
  • David Harris was only the 21st best ILB.
  • Nnamdi Asomugha was the 17th best CB.
Their overall rating is garbage and senseless. I don't know if they calculate that with some subjective formula derived from a combination of the stats or if it's just plain subjective. Either way, you cannot tell me that rating is good for anything at all based on what I've posted.

I'd rather take a stat that is widely accepted (QB rating) and identify the obvious outliers to understand. I've already agreed with a previous poster that this does not take into account such things as teammates and schemes. That's why a guy like Dwight Lowery had the 2nd best opposing QB rating in the NFL last year. Neither the Fins nor Chargers had a very good defense last season, the Chargers were better though.

Check out the penalty ranking for Cromartie and you will see he apparantly has a LOT of pass interference which I don't think goes into the opposing QB rating for yards completed and hence his ranking using only that statistic is artificially low. I read here frequently and enjoy the lively discussion but I am disappointed in WhiteShoe's post here. This obviously was done with little thought and research.
uh, Cromartie had 3 penalties against him all season according to that site. Where do you see he has a lot of pass interference? Maybe you're the one who's lacking research here.

Additionally, this IS a Dolphin fan site where it is perfectly fine for fans to hype (whether real or imagined) by the color of the jersey. I am confident you have made hyped statements on Jets sites and that is fine with me. I am not sure what motivation you have to stir the pot here?? Although intelligent debate on issues is always welcome.
I've already mentioned my motivation to stir the pot here. Please do your research.

It's a lot more complicated than that, and if you're not complete moron, you know that. N. Asomugha QB rating against was 98.2 - worse than just about every CB anyone thinks is any good. You have to consider QB pressure, how much help the CB is getting, the WR's the CB is cover, etc. Smith and Davis received VERY little help, went up against most of the top passing games in the league, and didn't benefit from consistent QB pressure. I'm not saying either had Pro Bowl seasons, but they held their own pretty well, considering the situations they were put in.
You didn't read the thread - all of these things were already addressed. Aso was an outlier because of how few times he was targeted and the point about pressure/scheme is a good one.

i hate whiteshoefaggy.
Clever, did you come up with that yourself?

the only thin in football where stats truly matter is fantasy football. asomough never shows up in the stats, but he's still a beast. stats are only on paper, thats why more HOFers are in later rounds than early rounds of the draft.us i really hate jet fans, the only one i have respect for is junc, i hate the rest

Aso has been addressed a few times in this thread now. It's too bad that's the only thing you could see wrong with my argument as their were some real flaws pointed out.

More HOF's are in later rounds than early rounds? Please show me evidence of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom