Brandon Marshall tells Davone Bess that Bess will have a pro bowl year | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Marshall tells Davone Bess that Bess will have a pro bowl year

if bess had short area quick acceleration aka burst i think he'd be a monster...i don't even care about the likely 4.7's range speed

watch bess when he returns a punt and runs sideways...it's like watching a pack of wolves overtake a wounded animal...

if bess had short area quick acceleration aka burst i think he'd be a monster...i don't even care about the likely 4.7's range speed

watch bess when he returns a punt and runs sideways...it's like watching a pack of wolves overtake a wounded animal...

watch devin hester blow by punt coverages, and struggle as a wide receiver. Bess is a solid receiver and will pay HUGE dividends for us this year. If the Tight End is a quarterback's best friend and safety net, and we don't have a very good one, Bess is going to be that guy and deliver in big moments just like last year.

if davon bess had devin hesters wheels and acceleration the whole league would be in trouble...hester in a lot of ways was like ted ginn...raw as a wr prospect...but hester unlike ginn isn't afraid of contact...at least not anywhere near the level ole teddy was

still hester doesn't have anywhere near the polish as a wr that davon bess does...

I think Wayne Chrebet is a better comparison for Bess as they have similar body control. Wes Walker has a burst, which he uses to gain separation; while Chrebet and Bess are better at curling sharply and squaring to the passing lane.

In his 3rd year, Chrebet had a significant increase in receiving yards average and reached his career high (14.4) the next season when strong-armed Vinny Testaverde was at the helm. However, he probably had an advantage over Bess with his college experience of running routes with typical WR depth while Bess only started such routes toward the end of last season.

Bess's statistics are well below what Chrebet produced during his 1st two seasons. Moreover, I think Bess's numbers are a bit inflated as a sizable percentage of his catches were dump-off passes that could have easily go to a RB, FB, or TE in a different scheme. And if he produced his stats in one of those positions, many would be less impressed with his accomplishments. That being say, I think Bess had for few more hurdles that have been unrecognized, which have made the Dolphins a better team. My theory is that Dolphins were planning to use RBs has primary receiver options during Bess's rookie year (Curtis Martin and Richie Anderson caught 160 passes in Henning's offense limited by a lack of WRs). His performance altered roster plans to have a pass-catching FB, which Boomer Grigsby was noted as performing during training camp and an ability that Lex Hilliard exhibited during his college days.

Going into his 3rd year, Bess has the opportunity to achieve a significant jump in receiving stats if he can increase his route depth. He has advantages over Chrebet with his running after the catch and a ball-snatching ability similar to a big WR such as Marshall. Marshall collapsing coverage should provide have spacing that Bess has not seen during his 1st two seasons while Henne's arm seems like a good fit for a WR that may lack separation but squares to the passer and outpowers DBs for the ball.

Back
Top Bottom