Braylon Edwards is on the block | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Braylon Edwards is on the block

Why would we not want a receiver like Chambers here.
Chambers and Edwards can make some catches that Ginn could never make.

Here are Chambers catch % numbers for his career.

08' - 52%
07' - 51%
06' - 39%
05' - 49%
04' - 50%
03' - 49%
02' - 52%
01' - 53%

Even with Philip Rivers as his QB and Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates to draw attention, he still couldn't catch more than 52% of his passes. I would rather have a WR who will catch a high percentage of passes thrown to him.

Here are Chambers catch % numbers for his career.

08' - 52%
07' - 51%
06' - 39%
05' - 49%
04' - 50%
03' - 49%
02' - 52%
01' - 53%

Even with Philip Rivers as his QB and Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates to draw attention, he still couldn't catch more than 52% of his passes. I would rather have a WR who will catch a high percentage of passes thrown to him.
Where did you find that info ? Not challenging, just curious.

If Braylon can return to 2007 performance he would be a good pickup. He would give us a big WR with speed. And if he worked out would save a draft pick for another position of need.

I prefer recievers who can catch the ball, but differant strokes for differant folks I guess.

Just pick the year and the position. There are some stats that are kind of complicated but they also have # of targets and catches as well.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

"We cannot yet fully separate the performance of a receiver from the performance of his quarterback. Be aware that one will affect the other."

"The simple version: DYAR means a wide receiver with more total value."

Informative site. Thanks.

But as quoted directly fom the site, the receiver's performance is directly tied to the QB's performance.

The DYAR for the 3 receivers being discussed are as follows:

Chambers

2007 54
2008 51

Ginn

2007 80
2008 66

Edwards

2007 189
2008 77

So as you can see, by this site they have regressed in total value. But Chambers regressed the least. And Edwards still has more total value of any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you seriously even picture either of those two guys even in the same room as Tony Sporano?

I think those are exactly the types of players that the Tuna releases not signs.

Wow, my vote for post of the year. You hit the nail on the head. Your exactly right. Overtalented, underachieving, high priced, primadonnas with an attitude is not the kind of players Ireland TS and Parcells are bringing in. We wouldn't look at these players if they were FAs much less give up valuable picks for them. No way, no how, not now, not ever, never gonna happen.

"We cannot yet fully separate the performance of a receiver from the performance of his quarterback. Be aware that one will affect the other."

"The simple version: DYAR means a wide receiver with more total value."

Informative site. Thanks.

But as quoted directly fom the site, the receiver's performance is directly tied to the QB's performance.

The DYAR for the 3 receivers being discussed are as follows:

Chambers

2007 54
2008 51

Ginn

2007 80
2008 66

Edwards

2007 189
2008 77

So as you can see, by this site they have regressed in total value. But Chambers regressed the least. And Edwards still has more total value of any of them.

The QB may have an effect on the WR but chambers catch % has been bad no matter who throws him the ball. Phillip Rivers had the highest quarterback rating in the NFL this year and Chambers was still only at 52%. There is clearly something about him that limits his ability to catch high percentage of passes to him.

The QB may have an effect on the WR but chambers catch % has been bad no matter who throws him the ball. Phillip Rivers had the highest quarterback rating in the NFL this year and Chambers was still only at 52%. There is clearly something about him that limits his ability to catch high percentage of passes to him.

But why is it that when we get the QB with the highest completion % in the history of the NFL, Ginn's % went down? That's what really matters to me. We got a second round pick for Chambers and he is history to us. So let's focus on the players we have and what we should to get better. Not what is now history.

So does Edwards make us a better team if we get him? Based on the stats from the site you brought to us, I say he does.

But why is it that when we get the QB with the highest completion % in the history of the NFL, Ginn's % went down? That's what really matters to me. We got a second round pick for Chambers and he is history to us. So let's focus on the players we have and what we should to get better. Not what is now history.

So does Edwards make us a better team if we get him? Based on the stats from the site you brought to us, I say he does.

Ginn's catch percentage went from 48% in his rookie year to 60% this year. That's a pretty good jump.

Ginn's catch percentage went from 48% in his rookie year to 60% this year. That's a pretty good jump.

But his total value dropped from 80 to 66. If his completion % jumped that much then I have to believe he is not doing anything else we need a receiver to do. Like block, run and maybe return kicks if he is so good at it. But blocking would have to be near the top.

Maybe we just need to look in a different direction altogether. If a good receiver becomes available at a reasonable price, then look at him. If not, then address other areas and maybe look for a steal in the draft. I have faith in the trifecta and now they do what is best for the team.

But his total value dropped from 80 to 66. If his completion % jumped that much then I have to believe he is not doing anything else we need a receiver to do. Like block, run and maybe return kicks if he is so good at it. But blocking would have to be near the top.

Maybe we just need to look in a different direction altogether. If a good receiver becomes available at a reasonable price, then look at him. If not, then address other areas and maybe look for a steal in the draft. I have faith in the trifecta and now they do what is best for the team.

Ginn had more catches, more yards, caught 12% more targets and averaged 2 yards more per catch than his rookie year.

One of the reasons is DYAR his down is because we played such an easy schedule so when it was adjusted for defenses, his numbers went down. I like Football Outsiders but I don't believe that Ginn got worse this season.

ginn didnt get worse this year... numbers dont say everything, gotta use your eyeballs too!!! Ginn improoved a lot.

Ginn had more catches, more yards, caught 12% more targets and averaged 2 yards more per catch than his rookie year.

One of the reasons is DYAR his down is because we played such an easy schedule so when it was adjusted for defenses, his numbers went down. I like Football Outsiders but I don't believe that Ginn got worse this season.

Back
Top Bottom