Braylon Edwards is our pick | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Braylon Edwards is our pick

HVACservice said:
Edwards averaged 80 catches a season.

How many did Williams have in his ENTIRE career at USC?

You are crazy. You want to compare stats with Williams? Let me show you something...
G Catches Yards TD
Freshman (2002) 13 81 1265 14
Sophomore (2003) 13 95 1324 16

He also rushed and threw for a TD. Any other questions?

Martel said:
You are crazy. You want to compare stats with Williams? Let me show you something...
G Catches Yards TD
Freshman (2002) 13 81 1265 14
Sophmore (2003) 13 95 1324 16

He also rushed and threw for a TD. Any other questions?

Can he play RB or QB??...... :D

Just kidding...

Mr Fan said:
I doubt also they are ruling out any position in the draft. However the Dolphins 4 WR's (Chamber,Booker,Thompson and Boston) are not causing the offense the fail. Where as the RB, QB and OL are leading directly to failure.

Perhaps Feely can be our QB, however do we pass on a "franchise" QB? Watching Alex Smith of Utah has peaked my interest and Rodgers is supposed to have all the tools and be highly accurate. IF (and it is a BIG IF) this is true do we pass on a possible Marino or Kelly for this WR?

Travis Minor has little talent and even less heart, Gordon hasnt proven anything and Sammie Morris is better suited for a change of pace back. RB must be addressed through the draft or FA otherwise we will be in for another long season.

Offensive Line, more than likely will improve next year just by the coaching changes, but if our next Richmond Webb is available do we pass on him or this WR?

Another point is a WR is easily picked up in rounds 2-4 (although thanks Rick for our lack of 2nd round pick this year)

I believe you are right. My point was that IF we took a receiver at #2, I wanted Williams.

Hellion said:
Just like Texas running backs scare me, they have dreadlocks, smoke weed and quit on there team.:rolleyes:
With that kinda logic we should only draft QBs from Pitt or Prudue.
A schools track record is not something to not take notice of? Besides Marino what great QB has came out of Pitt to give them a track record?

Would you not be leary of drafting a Penn State RB with the DJ Doziers, Blair Thomas & Curtis Enis. Until late in the season Larry Johnson but I still think it the KC line making him look so good. You cannot ignore a schools track record for producing players at certain positions.

I'm not saying its something to make the sole judgement on, just another factor to take into account before pulling the trigger.

Again I'm not saying Edwards is not worthy, but it does concern me that he is a Mich produced WR.

HVACservice said:
Bingo!!!!

That sort of irrational logic is just foolish.
Its irrational to take all factors into account?

Can't disagree with that. :shakeno:

HVACservice said:
To play Tight End?

Or maybe a possession receiver.

A 4.6 forty at last years combine/pro days.....

And a year away from the game...................

No Thanks.
Speed can be overrated sometimes. Rice is not a burner and I think he has done very well.

Its about how hard a player wants to work and his route running ability. A slower but great route runner will get open far more than a simply fast WR who does not run his routes very well.

Remember DB also can run fast.

I think HVAC gave up. He must now realize that Williams is the man, not Edwards. Welcome to the club HVAC!

HVACservice said:
Ya, I like being 28th in the league on offense.... every year.

For the last 5 years.....

Screw offensive skill players.

:roflmao: nice sarcasim......you just need to get with the program my dolphin brother. We already have Chambers, Boston, Booker, Thompson, Gilmore, Newson, Bellamy, JR Tolver. and not to mention McMichael!! WR is simply not a need. We neeeeeeeeed O-Line!!!! :evil: Give Feeley time to throw, and we wont be in the bottom offensive rankings!!

We'll go running back, or Saban just might pick up Rolle, or D.Johnson.

Edwards has zero character issues.

You need to check that. Williams has zero character issues. I do recall Edwards being in Lloyd Carr's doghouse as a sophomore for running lazy routes & not blocking. I know he's matured since then but zero character issues is incorrect.

Edwards can absorb the playbook.

And Mike Williams can't? He starred in the Chow's offense as a true freshman.

Edwards shows up at "big games".

He didn't last year in the Rose Bowl vs USC. What makes you think Williams doesn't?

Edwards carved up Will Poole last year.

Really? Hmm, you better go edit the game film because I have that game on tape. The third play of the game Edwards dropped an easy 60 yard TD, & I mean easy. The rest of the game Edwards ran mostly 5 to 10 yard ins, curls, & hitches. Some were against Poole in man coverage & some were vs zones. Though he did catch a 24 yard pass on Poole on a go route. That's called containment, not carving someone up.

Poole had a hell of a game. Dan Fouts read off his stats with 6:41 left in the 3rd quarter & Poole at that time had 6 tackles, 2 sacks, a FF, & 3 passes defensed(he batted a TD away from Edwards in the 4th too).

Edwards finished with 10 catches, 107 yards, & 4 drops. It would have been a great day for him & Michigan had he not dropped the first pass thrown at him & another one for a critical first down.

Edwards can jump higher.

That has yet TBD. Williams can jump out of this world too.

Edwards has the same size.

Edwards gives up an inch & 20 pounds to Williams. That's a pretty big difference.

You also left out an extremely important characteristic of WRs, hands. Mike Williams has better hands than Braylon.

SMadison29 said:
You need to check that. Williams has zero character issues. I do recall Edwards being in Lloyd Carr's doghouse as a sophomore for running lazy routes & not blocking. I know he's matured since then but zero character issues is incorrect.

And Mike Williams can't? He starred in the Chow's offense as a true freshman.

He didn't last year in the Rose Bowl vs USC. What makes you think Williams doesn't?

Really? Hmm, you better go edit the game film because I have that game on tape. The third play of the game Edwards dropped an easy 60 yard TD, & I mean easy. The rest of the game Edwards ran mostly 5 to 10 yard ins, curls, & hitches. Some were against Poole in man coverage & some were vs zones. Though he did catch a 24 yard pass on Poole on a go route. That's called containment, not carving someone up.

Poole had a hell of a game. Dan Fouts read off his stats with 6:41 left in the 3rd quarter & Poole at that time had 6 tackles, 2 sacks, a FF, & 3 passes defensed(he batted a TD away from Edwards in the 4th too).

Edwards finished with 10 catches, 107 yards, & 4 drops. It would have been a great day for him & Michigan had he not dropped the first pass thrown at him & another one for a critical first down.

That has yet TBD. Williams can jump out of this world too.

Edwards gives up an inch & 20 pounds to Williams. That's a pretty big difference.

You also left out an extremely important characteristic of WRs, hands. Mike Williams has better hands than Braylon.

:yeahthat:

O-Line, Multiple Picks, and O-Line, and Multiple Picks. Let me say again, O-Line and Multiple Picks.

Picking up Edwards at #2 is (one) overpaying and (two) a waste for the Fins.

HVACservice said:
Edwards averaged 80 catches a season.

How many did Williams have in his ENTIRE career at USC?
Umm Wiliiams "career" consisted only of an impossibly good freshman year, so good that he would have gone in the first round LAST year.

MadDawg020 said:
The more I think about it, the more I am now believing that Braylon Edwards should be our 1st round pick. Let me explain.

One of the pressing concerns on this team is RB. However, through all the latest developments, it seems clear to me that Saban wants to take care of the RB position in FA, whether this means signing Lamont Jordan, Rudi Johnson, or Ricky Williams coming back. In any case, I think out RB issues will be resolved in FA. For now, let's just assume we sign Jordan.

That being said, another pressing issue is the offensive line. As far as LT goes, I am confident that will also be resolved in FA. This could mean signing W. Jones, Samuels, etc., or it could mean sticking with McIntosh. McIntosh has been debated about already on a couple of threads, but I know I have confidence in him for next season, since he will be fully recovered from injury and have a full training camp under his belt with some GOOD COACHES. He showed some very good improvement throughout this season. For now, let's assume we keep DMac.

Next, I think we should pursue a trade with Surtain for a 2nd rd pick. (This also has been beaten to death already, so let's just say it happens.)

Now, in the draft, let's say we can trade down 2-3 spots and pick up a 2nd rounder. At that spot, we pick up Braylon Edwards. With our 2 2nd rd picks (one from trade and one from Surtain), we take David Baas and A. Hawthorne/DT/DE. Now, our starting line up looks like this on O:

QB - Feeley
RB - Jordan
WR - Chambers, Edwards, Booker!! (This is what I think Saban meant by an explosive offense)
TE - McMichael
OL - DMac, James, Baas (they say he could easily be moved to center), Hadnot, Carey

That looks absolutely great if you ask me. And on defense, we'll have the big fat run stuffing oaf we need in the middle along with Chester. The bottom line is: Edwards makes our offense ridiculously explosive, and our 3-WR sets can take advantage of the newly enforced contact rules. I mean seriously, can we really pass up the opportunity to have Chambers and Edwards on opposite ends?

This seems like a very likely scenario if you look at what I've proposed...nothing out of the ordinary. It's very possible, and I'm getting excited...I think this is where Saban is going with his importance on offense.

Receiver is the #1 LEAST NEEDED POSITION ON OUR TEAM................Please wake this guy up from his "dream"

Back
Top Bottom