Braylon Edwards Puts on a Show | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Braylon Edwards Puts on a Show

phinman1 said:
You have got to remember that Smith and Rodgers practiced their throwing routine ad nauseum. When it came time to perform they had it down cold. They knew which throw they were going to do when etc. I suppose the number one way to determine a pick is endless film watching. What to look for is beyond me. An expert like Saban would be able to tell you that.

I'm not saying Smith or Rodgers aren't any good. I'm just saying a guy like Saban used thier workouts more for talking to them and asking them questions, then being "wowed" by a guy who can throw a football with nobody on the field. In the end, I believe that for the most part the draft is a crapshoot. Eduacated guesses, and you hope a few pan out.

Yeah, the workout means nothing if the player doesn't have a history of performing on the field. Fortunately both of these QBs have a history of excellent on field performances as well.

Unfortunately the difference between a 4.4 and a 4.5 may be the difference between being tackled at the 50 yard line, and outrunning a would-be tackler for a 60 yard touchdown....on a relatively consistent basis.

These great workouts can only be good news for us.The more interest there is the better our options.

BTW Dont these workouts remind you of a PR event.? They seem to be a little too finely orchestrated. Maybe thats why Mike Williams is being asked to work out privately again.

Boomer said:
Mate, I wonder whether the 4.48/4.5 time will make the 49ers think that he isn't THAT much more different than Woods. And this may make Mike Williams MORE of a commodity as the times are pretty similar and the hands, etc are the same, in fact, Williams is better in that department.

I still think the 9ers go with Alex Smith, partly because of his abilities and his brains but also because he has a shot to start in week 1. I don't think the same can be said for Rodgers.

I'm interested to know why you feel Smith would have a chance to start day 1 in SF, but Rodgers wouldn't. They're equally inexperienced, but I think both would be opening day starters for SF.

General Tso said:
I'm interested to know why you feel Smith would have a chance to start day 1 in SF, but Rodgers wouldn't. They're equally inexperienced, but I think both would be opening day starters for SF.

Because Smith is more physically and mentally advanced, because he has the capacity to come in from day 1 and stamp his authority on the franchise, because Rodgers, to my mind is a good 2 seasons away from being a competent starting QB, whereas Smith isn't.

IMHO.

Rodgers...

Mike Mayock has stated he believes Rodgers to have the highest floor of any QB in this year's draft.

That does not mean he is most ready to start however , but he does not need to start in Miami , and if it is as it looks.... I would be hard pressed to pass on chossing him if he was there at #2 ,

ckparrothead said:
Unfortunately the difference between a 4.4 and a 4.5 may be the difference between being tackled at the 50 yard line, and outrunning a would-be tackler for a 60 yard touchdown....on a relatively consistent basis.

Not really. I wish they would break these down into 10 yard splits more often. The guy who is the fastest within the first ten yards will be the guy who has the best chance of breaking the longer runs. In practicality, runs are hardly ever in a straight line. You have backs doing more starting and stopping, and the guys who can get to full speed the quickest have the advantage.

To start the rumor mill swirling, did anyone notice that Jerry Sullivan is the coach that ran Braylon's workout?

Nope, that's good info. Might say alot. Thanks
KB21 said:
To start the rumor mill swirling, did anyone notice that Jerry Sullivan is the coach that ran Braylon's workout?

rafael said:
A round or two and several million dollars.

4.7-4.4? A hell of a lot more than that. Thats the difference between making it in the leauge or not for many guys. Not that there is not exceptions.

4.7 is a well below average for a DB, 4.4 is fast. I think people are starting to underestimate 40 times on this board. We tried so hard to show that they were not everything, and now its as if they don't matter at all.

saves said:
4.7-4.4? A hell of a lot more than that. Thats the difference between making it in the leauge or not for many guys. Not that there is not exceptions.

4.7 is a well below average for a DB, 4.4 is fast. I think people are starting to underestimate 40 times on this board. We tried so hard to show that they were not everything, and now its as if they don't matter at all.

Well put, exactly how I feel!

Boomer said:
According to someone there, Edwards had a monumental day.

He apparently ran a 4.44 and a 4.46 and was outstanding running routes and catching the ball. Reported that he hasn't lost any ground on either Smith or Rodgers.

Marlin Jackson ran a 4.48 and apparently looked good, whilst Dave Baas was apparently excellent in his drills.

Ernest Shazor ran a disappointing 4.71 and 4.69, but got hurt on the 2nd run and sat the rest of the day out.

More as I get it.

Here's the result recorded by NFL.com:

"Edwards (6-2 7/8, 210) ran his 40s in 4.48 and 4.50. He had a 37½-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-6 long jump, 4.38 short shuttle and 6.87 three-cone drill. It was described as a great workout, as Edwards didn't have one drop."

Had he run 4.4 flat or better, it would have elevated him to exceptional heights.. As it is, he may still be considered up there - since at virtually 6'3, 4.48 is solid speed. Then again, it partly depends on the track - that can make a difference in almost a tenth of a second. I wish Edwards had run at the Combine to compare him to the rest. Still, as it says, it was a "great workout."

Back
Top Bottom