Braylon Edwards Puts on a Show | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Braylon Edwards Puts on a Show

Keep pumping up that stock guys...

Smith, Rodgers and Edwards all having awesome pro days can only benefit us...!

phinman1 said:
You have got to remember that Smith and Rodgers practiced their throwing routine ad nauseum. When it came time to perform they had it down cold. They knew which throw they were going to do when etc. I suppose the number one way to determine a pick is endless film watching. What to look for is beyond me. An expert like Saban would be able to tell you that.

I'm not saying Smith or Rodgers aren't any good. I'm just saying a guy like Saban used thier workouts more for talking to them and asking them questions, then being "wowed" by a guy who can throw a football with nobody on the field. In the end, I believe that for the most part the draft is a crapshoot. Eduacated guesses, and you hope a few pan out. You just don't know beforehand how a person will react to the brutal physical and mental demands of the NFL until they are actually out there doing it.

This is a valid point if they haven't been good on the field. But, what you do get to see is his arm strength - which isn't always seen on TV. The scouts and coaches have a good idea of what to look for based on their own players. And, you get to see what their throws look like on the out patterns and deep outs.

There is much more to scouting a guy than this. But, it still is of value. If it wasn't, few would be there (especially since a lot of these teams are having the QB's in for their own personal visit).

does anyone really think S.F. will draft a wr i dont think so because they have wrs similar to ours and they need a rb ,qb, and deffense . i am guessing that they will get rodgers or a rb.
in all honsety guys even though we may not need a wr , just think at how good our offense would be if we got EDWARDS, CAMPBELL, AND MORENCY man we could rock and roll and sloberknock those dick shake a_s in the afc east .:fire:

bigbade said:
It would be nice if SF took a non-QB the our pick will have a higher value

I think it's the opposite.

If SF takes a QB, that only leaves one "top" QB available. Meanwhile, Braylon and Williams are there, along with all three RBs.

If SF takes a QB, the value of the #2 pick rises in the eyes of other teams. Supply and demand. :)

Boomer said:
Because Smith is more physically and mentally advanced, because he has the capacity to come in from day 1 and stamp his authority on the franchise, because Rodgers, to my mind is a good 2 seasons away from being a competent starting QB, whereas Smith isn't.

IMHO.

How is Smith more physically advanced? He's thin as a rail.

I also have no clue how anyone could form the opinion that Smith is more mentally advanced. Because he got 5 more questions right in the wonderlic?

Rodgers is the last QB to lead a team to a win over USC, he nearly did it again this year, and he beat a better Virginia Tech team in their bowl game two years ago. He's faced tougher competition while running a pro style offense with inferior receivers than Smith had. If either is more NFL ready it would be Rodgers IMO.

General Tso said:
How is Smith more physically advanced? He's thin as a rail.

I also have no clue how anyone could form the opinion that Smith is more mentally advanced. Because he got 5 more questions right in the wonderlic?

Rodgers is the last QB to lead a team to a win over USC, he nearly did it again this year, and he beat a better Virginia Tech team in their bowl game two years ago. He's faced tougher competition while running a pro style offense with inferior receivers than Smith had. If either is more NFL ready it would be Rodgers IMO.

What at 6-4, 217, compared to Rodgers' 6-2, 221? Physically he's tall, holds the ball high, has a high release point - I don't recall ever seeing him have a pass tipped - he's tough as boots, he stands in the pocket till the last minute, etc etc etc.

Well if you have no clue, you should do your research. There's a bit of difference between answering questions in the Wonderlic test (cat or dog?) or the fact that he is so intelligent that he entered college as a junior academically because he took so many advanced placement courses in high school, earned a bachelors degree as a 20-year-old sophomore and was working on his masters degree as a junior, with a 4.0 GPA. A passer who ingested the complex Urban Meyer system and ran it to perfection. Along with Meyer, he studied the offenses at Ohio State, Illinois State, Colorado State and Notre Dame, then visited Randy Walker at Northwestern and learned about his empty-set backfields. He went to Louisville to talk to our coach Linehan, he went to West Virginia and saw how Rich Rodriguez produced ran the spread and he talked to Joe Tiller and Drew Brees about how they got the best out of their offense.

It was his job to on the field to digest the defense at the line of scrimmage and calls plays based on the defense's alignment, which he did every down.

There is an interesting comment from Braylon in the Finheaven report, that Saban, and Baggett both, knew him from his younger days.... Recruited him when he was a baby I guess...

Remember when Jimmy Johnson took over the Boys, he knew EVERY single player inside and out because he had recruited them from HS to College and then to the Pros. Saban is in a similar position. I am SO excited about our team everyone. We stand to draft well for as long as Saban stays...

Boomer said:
What at 6-4, 217, compared to Rodgers' 6-2, 221? Physically he's tall, holds the ball high, has a high release point - I don't recall ever seeing him have a pass tipped - he's tough as boots, he stands in the pocket till the last minute, etc etc etc.

Well if you have no clue, you should do your research. There's a bit of difference between answering questions in the Wonderlic test (cat or dog?) or the fact that he is so intelligent that he entered college as a junior academically because he took so many advanced placement courses in high school, earned a bachelors degree as a 20-year-old sophomore and was working on his masters degree as a junior, with a 4.0 GPA. A passer who ingested the complex Urban Meyer system and ran it to perfection. Along with Meyer, he studied the offenses at Ohio State, Illinois State, Colorado State and Notre Dame, then visited Randy Walker at Northwestern and learned about his empty-set backfields. He went to Louisville to talk to our coach Linehan, he went to West Virginia and saw how Rich Rodriguez produced ran the spread and he talked to Joe Tiller and Drew Brees about how they got the best out of their offense.

It was his job to on the field to digest the defense at the line of scrimmage and calls plays based on the defense's alignment, which he did every down.

What a minute, wait a minute...

You said Smith has a high release point? A knock on him is he drops back with the ball far too low and then takes a long to make his windup throw. That's a clear knock on Smith. Both of these QBs are extremely young compared to last year's class and will take a little while to succeed in the NFL.

Jaj said:
What a minute, wait a minute...

You said Smith has a high release point? A knock on him is he drops back with the ball far too low and then takes a long to make his windup throw. That's a clear knock on Smith. Both of these QBs are extremely young compared to last year's class and will take a little while to succeed in the NFL.

None of that stops where the ball comes out.

So what it's a BIG downside to have the ball that low. If he can't fix the slow release he'll get DESTROYED in the NFL. I think he can improve it, but Rodgers in my mind is a much better QB right now.

Back
Top Bottom