Brian Hartline’s teammates think he’s underrated because he’s white

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BAMAPHIN 22, Oct 12, 2012.

1. BAMAPHIN 22

BAMAPHIN 22 FinHeaven Elite

PHP:
    When Jordy Nelson was breaking out for the Packers last seasonhis fellow wide receiver Greg Jennings said that he thought Nelson got underestimated around the league because he’s white.
    According to some members of the DolphinsNelson’s big 2011 season hasn’t changed much on that frontBen Volin of the Palm Beach Post writes that Hartlinewho ran track for a time at Ohio State and has shown he can get behind defenseskeeps hearing that the Dolphins need to get some more speed at receiver while hearing himself described as being “deceptively fast.” Wide receiver Davone Bess and quarterback Ryan Tannehill think that their teammate’s skills get downgraded becauselike Nelsonpeople are put off by a white wide receiver.

“YeahmanDefinitely,” Bess said when asked if people underrate Hartline’s speed because of his skin color“He can runThat’s good that they sleep on himbecause come game time he can open up on them.
    “I’ve had that label before
    tooIt’s just kind of a stigma that comes with it,” Tannehillwho played receiver in college before moving to quarterbacksaid of the “deceptively fast” label“If it helps youthen it helps youI don’t know if teams underestimate him or anythingbut he’s making plays for us, and it doesn’t matter what color you are.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mates-think-hes-underrated-because-hes-white/

2. Cloudy

Cloudy MustNotSleep-MustWarnOthers

One day sterotypes will be a thing of the past. One Day..

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Started a thread on something like this yesterday. If it was moved to the depths if you wanna have a look at the discussion.

4. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

Without starting a huge debate, I don't think it ever will.

I swear it seems as our society deteriorates slowly decade by decade.

Racism will always be around because its embedded in every race on earth. Blacks,whites, hispanic, oriental etc.... they are all racists in one way or another. No race is exclusive.
    Chubbs

5. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

a bit yes. Just like how all black QBs are supposed to be scramblers. On another board I go to, somebody said Geno Smith was the best duo threat QB in the nation but other posters pointed out he has 257 career rushing yards with 217 of those coming his sophomore year and his career high in yards per rush is 2.

6. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm certainly not saying its right, but it seems that some people think that's the way, cuz 'most' number ones in the past and future are not white..Jerry Rice, Moss, Marshall, Chambers, T.O., Calvin Johnson, Ocho, Plax, Nicks, Duper, Clayton etc etc, the list goes on and on.. I love that he's under the radar.. At least he was!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
  7. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

just like my posts are underrated because i'm white.

8. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

White?? I just assumed you were a Martian :idk:

9. chegui

chegui Rookie

They sure move him to D/B. That will take care of the problem

10. fsuhunter

fsuhunter Rookie

11. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

i remember henne had several shots to hit hartline deep and missed wildly.

12. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

UK_Dolpfan is right, his thread was moved because in the matter of ten posts it turned into a societal debate about race and racism. In looking through the responses so far in this thread and there is no reason to move it but and the big but here guys is please keep it to the matter of football if you want this thread to stay here.

If it ends up like UK's thread it will be moved to a different forum so please be cool here guys.

13. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

Productive White WR's stick out like sore thumbs. I'm just stating the obvious, so by nature (fair or unfair) it is normal to underrate a white WR.

And am I crazy or isn't it true that Hartline is "deceptively fast"? He isn't a 4.3 or 4.4 guy, but he proves he can get seperation from DB's consistently enough. I don't know if DB's underrate him or he is just extremely crafty but he's a solid WR.

And the Fins need more speed at WR . . . no question. Hartline as your fastest WR is not getting it done . . . we are a 2-3 football team and people act as if we are this potential Super Bowl team or something. We need more talent at skill positions . . . period. White, Black, Polka Dot . . . we need guys that can play.

14. Ferretsquig

Ferretsquig Perennial All-Pro

Hes just not all that fast. Its no knock on the guy.....compared to 99% of the world hes a phenomenal athlete. But he only way hes getting deep in the NFL is if he fools the db. Hes just not a player that can run a fly route and beat his man down the field. I don't think its a matter of him being a #1 receiver....as Philbin is fond of saying his teams have no #1. Just would be nice to have that receiver that can consistently beat his man down field, whether he be white, black, brown, or yellow.

15. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

Since when do you need to be a burner to be a number 1 WR? Do you consider brandon marshall a number 1 WR? Because hartline is just as fast and probably faster now that he lost 25 pounds. It's not all just about speed to be a number 1 WR.

16. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

He's got better speed than we give credit for. Only person faster than him in high school track and field was Ginn.

17. Quadfather

Quadfather FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Look, the bottom line is, The 53 players on the Dolphins team dont give a **** what the critics or media thinks. They dont give a **** what any players skin color is. All they care about winning, and everyone on that team are brothers, and they will have each others backs no matter what. Dumb *** reporters are the douch es trying to make a story that just isnt there, trying to bring up racial warfare in society. I say **** them all. Just play ball people!

18. Kdawg954

4.5 is nothing to sneeze at . . . and goes a long way in an argument that track speed means alot less when it comes to the speed you play football at.

He is a solid WR. Good Size, Good speed, Good hands, Solid Route Runner. I didn't think he would make such an impact this season, and a guy who I thought fit better as a #4, but one I had confidence could turn into a #2, is already becoming that guy you would LOVE to have opposite your #1 WR. That's a good thing.

19. njFinsForever

njFinsForever Offensive Mindset

I think part of it is he is a unproven quantity. If he sustains his productivity for this entire season and beyond, he will get the recognition he deserves. Also he isn't as flashy as the big name receivers

Awesome signature by the way

20. Kdawg954

Well see that's the other thing . . . I can already sense people want to perceive him as a #1 WR, when he hasn't been close to being a #1 WR in his first 3 seasons, and truthfully had one monster game this year, and is averaging 65 yards a game receiving the rest of the games. Now part of those first 3 years is obviously the lack of consistent QB play, but when comparing Hartline to a guy like Brandon Marshall . . . production reigns supreme . . . and there aren't many WR's more productive than Brandon Marshall over the past 6 years. Hartline has to do it over a period of time to be put in that type of category.

21. jlfin

jlfin old pro

You mean they need guys like Ted Ginn and Randall Hill? Yep, I see your point.

22. buxster07

buxster07 A True Fan

On a visceral level- stereotyping is merely a fear-based human response to the potential of cultural domination by another male group, and/or ethnic group.
    It stems from males and is one way to influence his own remote culture of his own genetic element as more desirable versus other males. In ways, it is just simple propaganda.

For instance, a male may openly stereotype another male's ethnicity - (in example: white to black stereotypes, white to asian stereotypes, etc. etc. ) and exhibit rejection of the opposing male, yet will view their female counterparts as a commodity / inclined to procreate with certain females of different ethnicity due to "exotic" elements.

Stereotypes will never go away as it's part of the human programming for reproducing and ensuring his gene pool continues.

Not all people will be able to know if they have been passed-down (via social influence) a fear-based stereotype or prejudice, understand it's reason for being, and may never know why stereotypes are formed or how inaccurate they may be. It's a spectrum of intellect, thus some will be above it / aware, some won't be able to.

23. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

When did he say we need those scrubs?

He said speed, why would you run with it like that?

24. abNORMal

abNORMal A True Fan

I don't care what color he is, I don't care who under rates him or why, I just want him to keep being productive

25. Phinatic8u

Why can't we all think like this.

White, black, Juan Huron, don't matter just keep producing.

26. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Juan Huron is a race now?

27. Phinatic8u

:lol:

If ya know what I mean

28. ojmcduffy

ojmcduffy Seasoned Veteran

honestly racism is an american idea. The rest of the world cares alot more about what religion you are than the skin color. However racism is an idea that should be thrown on the scrap heap of the 20th century.

29. BigCityCat

BigCityCat Scout Team

Being white, what I hope happens is Gaffney steps up and makes our receiving core a little better. I'm really interested in what he brings to the table this week.

30. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

There is no doubt....Just like for the longest time the common thought was a black can't be successful at quarterback(some still think this), in reverse the thinking is white guys can't run fast enough to be an elite X or Y receiver.....they are generalizations, the problem is there are always exceptions to the rule.

31. Kdawg954

Gaffney is a big target and a possession WR. If he is healthy, he is light years better than Legadu Naanee. He has dependable hands. He isn't a burner but he makes us more credible in 3 WR sets. I think Tannehill will like having him as an extra target. If we could some how get Armstrong going as a deep threat, this WR group could be somewhat decent.

32. Kdawg954

Even Clyde Gates made the defenders jump back when he comes into the game . . . you need a guy with that type of speed but who can also catch passes and run routes. It just takes that much more pressure off of your QB and more pressure on the defense when you have a guy who can stretch the field like that.

33. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

This.. Especially nowadays when black quarterbacks are quite successful and white number one recievers are...? Well, lets hope Hartline continues to turn that racial generalization around!!

34. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

Often perception isn't reality. I Hope Hartline keeps on proving the doubters wrong.

35. ATL_PHIN_FAN

ATL_PHIN_FAN Winner Under Construction

I think I read that he's mastered the double move and that's getting him open deep.
    He may not be very fast, but he's super quick and precise. Quickness and precision are not genetic traits. I think they can be practiced and improved upon.

36. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Yes but now it has switched to....."Black Quarterbacks can't win the big one or lead Superbowl teams", and just as number 1 white receivers are few and far between, so are Superbowl winning black QB's. Even Doug Williams was a backup who just happened to come into that Superbowl and played great.

So it still goes both ways...I hear both stereotypes all the time still.

37. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

If there was a black guy and a white guy about to race and I didn't know either of them, all things being equal, I'm betting on the black guy to win to race.

38. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

This is the kind of stuff the Phins players are talking about. People never consider white guys to be superior athletically; they have to out-work and out-maneuver black players on the outside. I'm going back a few years, but the biggest-name recent white receivers are probably wayne chrebet, ed mccaffrey, and wes welker. No one ever called them great athletes; they were simply 'smart' and 'reliable' with 'good hands'--all the things needed to make up for being slower and weaker. Jordy Nelson's reputation seems to be breaking the mold (by catching tons of deep balls for a highly publicized offense) and I think Hartline and Amendola should be talked about more like he is.

39. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

That's fine and sensible. Phins players are simply saying that Hartline is the exception to the rule. Nothing wrong with that, and they're probably right; generalizations and stereotypes are never without exceptions.

40. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Just like when that DB that used to play for the Giants some years ago, believe his name was Sehorn?....at tha moment he was the only starting corner in the NFL that was white but he was a very good player. Even some of the black players would say that the guy could play and it didn't matter what color he was.

Ozzy rules!!