Brian Hartline’s teammates think he’s underrated because he’s white | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Hartline’s teammates think he’s underrated because he’s white

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
PHP:
When Jordy Nelson was breaking out for the Packers last season, his fellow wide receiver Greg Jennings said that he thought Nelson got underestimated around the league because he’s white.
According to some members of the Dolphins, Nelson’s big 2011 season hasn’t changed much on that front. Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post writes that Hartline, who ran track for a time at Ohio State and has shown he can get behind defenses, keeps hearing that the Dolphins need to get some more speed at receiver while hearing himself described as being “deceptively fast.” Wide receiver Davone Bess and quarterback Ryan Tannehill think that their teammate’s skills get downgraded because, like Nelson, people are put off by a white wide receiver.

“Yeah, man. Definitely,” Bess said when asked if people underrate Hartline’s speed because of his skin color. “He can run. That’s good that they sleep on him, because come game time he can open up on them.”
“I’ve had that label before, too. It’s just kind of a stigma that comes with it,” Tannehill, who played receiver in college before moving to quarterback, said of the “deceptively fast” label. “If it helps you, then it helps you. I don’t know if teams underestimate him or anything, but he’s making plays for us, and it doesn’t matter what color you are.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mates-think-hes-underrated-because-hes-white/

One day sterotypes will be a thing of the past. One Day..

Started a thread on something like this yesterday. If it was moved to the depths if you wanna have a look at the discussion.

One day sterotypes will be a thing of the past. One Day..
Without starting a huge debate, I don't think it ever will.

I swear it seems as our society deteriorates slowly decade by decade.

Racism will always be around because its embedded in every race on earth. Blacks,whites, hispanic, oriental etc.... they are all racists in one way or another. No race is exclusive.
Chubbs

a bit yes. Just like how all black QBs are supposed to be scramblers. On another board I go to, somebody said Geno Smith was the best duo threat QB in the nation but other posters pointed out he has 257 career rushing yards with 217 of those coming his sophomore year and his career high in yards per rush is 2.

I'm certainly not saying its right, but it seems that some people think that's the way, cuz 'most' number ones in the past and future are not white..Jerry Rice, Moss, Marshall, Chambers, T.O., Calvin Johnson, Ocho, Plax, Nicks, Duper, Clayton etc etc, the list goes on and on.. I love that he's under the radar.. At least he was!

Last edited by a moderator:
They sure move him to D/B. That will take care of the problem

UK_Dolpfan is right, his thread was moved because in the matter of ten posts it turned into a societal debate about race and racism. In looking through the responses so far in this thread and there is no reason to move it but and the big but here guys is please keep it to the matter of football if you want this thread to stay here.

If it ends up like UK's thread it will be moved to a different forum so please be cool here guys.

Productive White WR's stick out like sore thumbs. I'm just stating the obvious, so by nature (fair or unfair) it is normal to underrate a white WR.

And am I crazy or isn't it true that Hartline is "deceptively fast"? He isn't a 4.3 or 4.4 guy, but he proves he can get seperation from DB's consistently enough. I don't know if DB's underrate him or he is just extremely crafty but he's a solid WR.

And the Fins need more speed at WR . . . no question. Hartline as your fastest WR is not getting it done . . . we are a 2-3 football team and people act as if we are this potential Super Bowl team or something. We need more talent at skill positions . . . period. White, Black, Polka Dot . . . we need guys that can play.

Hes just not all that fast. Its no knock on the guy.....compared to 99% of the world hes a phenomenal athlete. But he only way hes getting deep in the NFL is if he fools the db. Hes just not a player that can run a fly route and beat his man down the field. I don't think its a matter of him being a #1 receiver....as Philbin is fond of saying his teams have no #1. Just would be nice to have that receiver that can consistently beat his man down field, whether he be white, black, brown, or yellow.

Hes just not all that fast. Its no knock on the guy.....compared to 99% of the world hes a phenomenal athlete. But he only way hes getting deep in the NFL is if he fools the db. Hes just not a player that can run a fly route and beat his man down the field. I don't think its a matter of him being a #1 receiver....as Philbin is fond of saying his teams have no #1. Just would be nice to have that receiver that can consistently beat his man down field, whether he be white, black, brown, or yellow.
Since when do you need to be a burner to be a number 1 WR? Do you consider brandon marshall a number 1 WR? Because hartline is just as fast and probably faster now that he lost 25 pounds. It's not all just about speed to be a number 1 WR.

Back
Top Bottom