Brian Hartline’s teammates think he’s underrated because he’s white | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Hartline’s teammates think he’s underrated because he’s white

Being white, what I hope happens is Gaffney steps up and makes our receiving core a little better. I'm really interested in what he brings to the table this week.

Gaffney is a big target and a possession WR. If he is healthy, he is light years better than Legadu Naanee. He has dependable hands. He isn't a burner but he makes us more credible in 3 WR sets. I think Tannehill will like having him as an extra target. If we could some how get Armstrong going as a deep threat, this WR group could be somewhat decent.

You mean they need guys like Ted Ginn and Randall Hill? Yep, I see your point.

Even Clyde Gates made the defenders jump back when he comes into the game . . . you need a guy with that type of speed but who can also catch passes and run routes. It just takes that much more pressure off of your QB and more pressure on the defense when you have a guy who can stretch the field like that.

There is no doubt....Just like for the longest time the common thought was a black can't be successful at quarterback(some still think this), in reverse the thinking is white guys can't run fast enough to be an elite X or Y receiver.....they are generalizations, the problem is there are always exceptions to the rule.

This.. Especially nowadays when black quarterbacks are quite successful and white number one recievers are...? Well, lets hope Hartline continues to turn that racial generalization around!!

Productive White WR's stick out like sore thumbs. I'm just stating the obvious, so by nature (fair or unfair) it is normal to underrate a white WR.

And am I crazy or isn't it true that Hartline is "deceptively fast"? He isn't a 4.3 or 4.4 guy, but he proves he can get seperation from DB's consistently enough. I don't know if DB's underrate him or he is just extremely crafty but he's a solid WR.

And the Fins need more speed at WR . . . no question. Hartline as your fastest WR is not getting it done . . . we are a 2-3 football team and people act as if we are this potential Super Bowl team or something. We need more talent at skill positions . . . period. White, Black, Polka Dot . . . we need guys that can play.

I think I read that he's mastered the double move and that's getting him open deep.
He may not be very fast, but he's super quick and precise. Quickness and precision are not genetic traits. I think they can be practiced and improved upon.

This.. Especially nowadays when black quarterbacks are quite successful and white number one recievers are...? Well, lets hope Hartline continues to turn that racial generalization around!!

Yes but now it has switched to....."Black Quarterbacks can't win the big one or lead Superbowl teams", and just as number 1 white receivers are few and far between, so are Superbowl winning black QB's. Even Doug Williams was a backup who just happened to come into that Superbowl and played great.

So it still goes both ways...I hear both stereotypes all the time still.

If there was a black guy and a white guy about to race and I didn't know either of them, all things being equal, I'm betting on the black guy to win to race.

I think I read that he's mastered the double move and that's getting him open deep.
He may not be very fast, but he's super quick and precise. Quickness and precision are not genetic traits. I think they can be practiced and improved upon.

This is the kind of stuff the Phins players are talking about. People never consider white guys to be superior athletically; they have to out-work and out-maneuver black players on the outside. I'm going back a few years, but the biggest-name recent white receivers are probably wayne chrebet, ed mccaffrey, and wes welker. No one ever called them great athletes; they were simply 'smart' and 'reliable' with 'good hands'--all the things needed to make up for being slower and weaker. Jordy Nelson's reputation seems to be breaking the mold (by catching tons of deep balls for a highly publicized offense) and I think Hartline and Amendola should be talked about more like he is.

If there was a black guy and a white guy about to race and I didn't know either of them, all things being equal, I'm betting on the black guy to win to race.

That's fine and sensible. Phins players are simply saying that Hartline is the exception to the rule. Nothing wrong with that, and they're probably right; generalizations and stereotypes are never without exceptions.

Just like when that DB that used to play for the Giants some years ago, believe his name was Sehorn?....at tha moment he was the only starting corner in the NFL that was white but he was a very good player. Even some of the black players would say that the guy could play and it didn't matter what color he was.

Ozzy rules!!

As long as he continues to catch the ball well that's all I care about. We are better off of him being under rated that way opposing teams might not prepare for him as we'll. I will take a Larry Bird on my team as a wide reciever anytime.

That's fine and sensible. Phins players are simply saying that Hartline is the exception to the rule. Nothing wrong with that, and they're probably right; generalizations and stereotypes are never without exceptions.

When I was running track in college we had a white skinny guy a Aussie named Richard Hopkins on my college team that was great fun to watch at the college meets in the 220. He was like 6'3 and never used blocks when he lined up and all the blacks would be laughing at him but he would absolutely run them down coming out or the turn on the track. I can still hear the crowd at the Fl Relays humming in the stands watching him.

In a flat out foot race, most of the time you would be right but if it was Brian Hartline against Jerry Rice you would loose your bet.

Back
Top Bottom