Bring Jim Bates back home... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bring Jim Bates back home...

Phinanthropist

Thinking positive thoughts...
Reaction score
From Saban's PC this afternoon:

"(On if having a large staff makes things easier) – “I don't think it makes my job easier. The only thing I look at is whether everyone is contributing in a positive way, is everybody challenged by the work load they have, and is everyone making a significant contribution to what we do. I've been pleased with the job our staff has done since we've been there. When we have opportunities to improve our staff, we're going to do that. You don't always have the choice to bring a person to your organization when you need to.

Sometimes, just like when players are available, you have to make decisions on whether we should bring someone like that into our organization. When coaches are available, you have to make decisions. Will they make a positive contribution to our organization based on their knowledge and experience. So it's not about whether you have an opening or not. It's about whether this is a positive addition to our organization. That's what we've done. That doesn't mean that it creates other issues for somebody else.â€Â"

From John Clayton's Blog tonight:

Bates considers offer from Bills: The Bills have offered former Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates their defensive coordinator job. He is going to take Wednesday night to think about it, but the Bills have the last defensive coordinator job available. The Texans are expected to hire Frank Bush and Richard Smith as co-defensive coordinators, and once that deal is done, the Bills are the last chance for a coach to land a defensive coordinator job. For the moment, Bates' decision is whether to take the Bills offer or sit out the season under the Packers paycheck.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

If Smith indeed goes onto the Texans, why shouldn't Coach convince Jim Bates to come back to Miami? The alternative would be to face him two times a year in Buffalo. Saban has the resources to make it happen and I think, Bates' personal ambitions aside, his mastery of the 4-3 would be a tremendous compliment to the 3-4 abilities of Capers. If what we are doing is a hybrid system why not have two of the best coaches of each discipline instructing the players? To me it is a no brainer, his options are rather limited at this point. If you are Bates, would you rather work in sunny Miami with your friend Saban and win or in geriatric, frigid Buffalo and lose? Isn't the better career move obvious? Thoughts??

Stop the Jim Bates love affair people. He ain't coming back to Miami. Dom Capers and him are night and day on how they run a defense.

Phinanthropist said:
From Saban's PC this afternoon:

"(On if having a large staff makes things easier) – “I don't think it makes my job easier. The only thing I look at is whether everyone is contributing in a positive way, is everybody challenged by the work load they have, and is everyone making a significant contribution to what we do. I've been pleased with the job our staff has done since we've been there. When we have opportunities to improve our staff, we're going to do that. You don't always have the choice to bring a person to your organization when you need to.

Sometimes, just like when players are available, you have to make decisions on whether we should bring someone like that into our organization. When coaches are available, you have to make decisions. Will they make a positive contribution to our organization based on their knowledge and experience. So it's not about whether you have an opening or not. It's about whether this is a positive addition to our organization. That's what we've done. That doesn't mean that it creates other issues for somebody else.â€Â"

From John Clayton's Blog tonight:

Bates considers offer from Bills: The Bills have offered former Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates their defensive coordinator job. He is going to take Wednesday night to think about it, but the Bills have the last defensive coordinator job available. The Texans are expected to hire Frank Bush and Richard Smith as co-defensive coordinators, and once that deal is done, the Bills are the last chance for a coach to land a defensive coordinator job. For the moment, Bates' decision is whether to take the Bills offer or sit out the season under the Packers paycheck.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

If Smith indeed goes onto the Texans, why shouldn't Coach convince Jim Bates to come back to Miami? The alternative would be to face him two times a year in Buffalo. Saban has the resources to make it happen and I think, Bates' personal ambitions aside, his mastery of the 4-3 would be a tremendous compliment to the 3-4 abilities of Capers. If what we are doing is a hybrid system why not have two of the best coaches of each discipline instructing the players? To me it is a no brainer, his options are rather limited at this point. If you are Bates, would you rather work in Miami with your friend Saban and win or in geriatric Buffalo and lose? Isn't the better career move obvious? Thoughts??

:shakeno: Our defensive staff is set.. Bates isn't going to take a job as anything less than a DC or HC.. why would he want to come here and be third in charge on defensive decisions..

:shakeno:Makes no sense. Like sayin bringing in Bill walsh and Bill cowher. While both excelled in their field, can not work together. One threw it, and the other ran it. STOP GRASPING!:shakeno:

The Dolphins use the 4/3 and the 3/4 and any number of variations in between so your point is poorly stated.

Bates is an excellent coach. If you could convince him to come to Miami instead of a rival division team, why wouldn't you? In essence, he would be replacing Richard Smith (assuming he leaves to Houston).

Bates will be taking the JIlls job because it's the last one available this year. He's too egotistical to sit out a year, although he can. He's not media savvy so there is no TV job for him. He'll be with the Jills and help them out. They will still be a pretty good D assuming all the injured guys from last year come back...I'm really shocked that he didn't stay in GB...he had it made there.

Phinanthropist said:
The Dolphins use the 4/3 and the 3/4 and any number of variations in between so your point is poorly stated.

Bates is an excellent coach. If you could convince him to come to Miami instead of a rival division team, why wouldn't you? In essence, he would be replacing Richard Smith (assuming he leaves to Houston).

For several reasons I imagine, but here's 2.....

one being thatitwould be a step backward for Bates, who has now left 2 DC jobs in pursuit of a HC jig (w can stop there, because this fact alone negates even the possibility that he would take a lesser job).

Two being that he left Miami with a little bit of bad blood, so what makes you think he would want to come back in any role at all?

Ryan1973 said:
Stop the Jim Bates love affair people. He ain't coming back to Miami. Dom Capers and him are night and day on how they run a defense.

DITTO!!! Some people just can't take NO for an answer!!!:fire:

While I doubt Jim Bates is coming back to Miami, the reason people are suggesting it is because Bates' track record is better than Capers'. With the Dolphins, his defensive rank was:

2000: 6th
2001: 5th
2002: 3rd
2003: 11th
2004: 8th
2005: 7th (Packers, their best since 1998)

Average Rank: 6.67

Capers:
1991: 22nd
1992: 12th
1993: 3rd
1994: 3rd
1999: 5th (Jaguars)
2000: 9th (Jaguars)

Average Rank: 9.0

The 3-4 is not the defense to change all defenses. Few teams have the personnel to run it properly - the only three that come to mind are the Patriots, Stelers, and Chargers. In the NFL, Pittsburgh was 4th and San Diego was 13th. No other 3-4 defenses were ranked in the top half of the league.

Bates shmates.

I don't mean to be flippant about it, but that's about how I feel about him. The guy was a decent DC for us and coached us to a few wins during a tough time. He isn't Don Shula.

Last year was a better opportunity for Bates. This year, it would be even worse due to the addition of Capers. So, if Bates didn't stay on last year, there's no way he would come back this year.

We're a different team now. Bates was cool when we were a 4-3 team. (even though everyone in a hundred thousand mile radius knew what we were going to do on D)

Why is anyone so hot to have Bates back? We had a decent defense when he was here but it was way to predictable and seemed to break down at the worst times. Like when the game was on the line and we had to have a stop. Certainly not a championship caliber defense. Anyone remember the Monday night meltdown at the Meadowlands in 2000? I appreciate what he did when he was here but it was definitely time for him to move on

Back
Top Bottom