Brock Jensen Brings Championship Pedigree To Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brock Jensen Brings Championship Pedigree To Dolphins

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
I think one of back-up QBs should be worried
Whatever Brock Jensen has done to this point, it obviously has worked.

His phenomenal success through high school and college provides the evidence. After being the starting quarterback for a high school state title and the last three Football Championship Subdivision national championships at North Dakota State, Jensen doesn’t want to stop now that he has signed with the Dolphins as a rookie free agent.

“I went in there (at North Dakota State) coming out of high school and my goal was really to win one,” said Jensen, whose high school team also won a state title when he was a sophomore. “After that first one, obviously you’re going to set another goal, and that was to win two. And then the next one came. You set long-term goals. You take a look at what kind of team you have and you see a whole bunch of potential and all the games that you can win. That’s just what we did over the course of my career there. I had great teammates, great coaches. It was just a great place to go to school.

“Three national championships, a couple of state titles ... got to get a few Super Bowls now.”

As the titles suggest, Jensen simply is a winner. His record as a starter in high school was 23-2 and he basically doubled those numbers at North Dakota State by going 47-5, even adding a victory in a backup capacity as a redshirt freshman in 2010.

Do the math, and that adds up to a 70-7 record as a starting quarterback.

Not shabby.

Sure, Jensen had a lot of talent around him at North Dakota State, starting with Dolphins rookie third-round pick Billy Turner, but it’s clear Jensen can play.

The 6-foot-3, 223-pound Jensen was an effective dual threat throughout his collegiate career. He scored 35 rushing touchdowns in four years, reaching double digits each of the last two seasons. Throwing the ball, Jensen completed 64.9 percent of his passes over the past three seasons and had a remarkable 34 touchdown passes against only seven interceptions in 2013.

With Jensen leading the way, North Dakota State beat an FBS program each of the last three years — Kansas State in 2013, Colorado State in 2012 and Minnesota in 2011.

A third-team FCS All-American in 2013, Jensen closed out his career by winning a second consecutive MVP award in the national title game.

It was a quite remarkable college career indeed, especially when you consider that Jensen wasn’t heavily recruited out of high school.

“I was overlooked by a lot of teams coming out of high school making the college transition,” Jensen said. “All I wanted is that opportunity, just like anyone could ask for. I got it at North Dakota State. In my mind that’s all I needed. I just needed the one shot and I knew I was going to put in all the work, all the time that I needed to be great. I just didn’t want to go to college and play football and be mediocre. I wanted to be great. I wanted to leave a legacy along with my other teammates that came in with me in my recruiting class. When you work hard enough and you’re driven enough, you can make it happen.”

Five years later, Jensen is dealing with a similar scenario. Despite his college accomplishments, he was bypassed in the 2014 NFL draft, just like he was bypassed by major colleges coming out of high school.

“The same exact thing, same situation I’m in right now,” Jensen said. “I was overlooked in the draft. I just needed that team that was willing to work with me, to put in time and just like me enough to take that chance. I’m grateful to be down here in Miami, part of a tremendous organization. It couldn’t have worked out better for me. I’m very fortunate and blessed to be here. I’m going to do what it takes to contribute to the team.”
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...Dolphins/83f9ee98-b079-4aee-b641-dc8299e9743c

Wouldn't be surprised if he did get a backup spot. Certainly makes a lot of sense to give him a good look. Glad they brought him in. Not expecting much to be honest, kinda hard to really show your stuff when you're buried down the depth chart and not playing with starters, but hoping he wows some coaches.

He definitely has some nice intangibles. The only way I see him getting a shot is with a similar situation to what happened with the Bills last season where the coaches just run out of options and would be forced to play him, if he ever gets in the game though they may not want to take him back out.

Weak arm....maybe as a 3rd or practice squad guy....

A weak arm doesn't mean that he can't be a good, great or elite QB in the NFL. Now that being said there is a reason he went undrafted. But with his record as a starter, intangibles, mentality and athleticism anything is truly possible if given the chance and the right opportunity. The preseason will tell if a lot about his future and I hope he at least get a chance to show what he has. Fins up

Where is the "weak arm" stuff coming from?

This is not a weak-armed throw (fast-foward to 0:08:56 if the link doesn't work right):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YPwDGinY6I&feature=player_detailpage#t=536

Nor is this a weak-armed throw (fast-foward to 5:14 if the link doesn't work right):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vMtL1GwHw&feature=player_detailpage#t=314

This throw is not on target, but it's hardly a weak-armed throw either (0:39:28):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6YPwDGinY6I#t=2368

People have these preconceived notions about what type of prospect this guy is or that guy. They know Brock Jensen is a small school winner with good stats and decent but not great size, so they assume he must have a weak arm. Then they see a weak arm even when high velocity throws are staring them in the face.

The guy isn't exactly Jamarcus Russell but to say he's got a weak arm is just not accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the leadership qualities , what I like about this guy is that he's had to fight for every opportunity he's gotten - and mostly had to settle for; and then excelled to prove everyone wrong. That's a Tom Brady-sized chip he's got on his shoulder even before being ignored in the draft. I wouldn't count out anyone having that intestinal fortitude and motivation who possesses the skills he obviously does.

I'd like to see him push Delvin. His rookie contract is up next year (as is Moore's deal) so if they don't envision Delvin ever being more than a 3rd string guy let's see if this kid can beat him out and make his case to be Tannehill's back up next season.

Here's another throw with pro velocity (0:48:38):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6YPwDGinY6I#t=2918

And it's not like he's taking a bunch of steps and heaving the football from a running start like this is some distance competition.

It really doesn't matter whether you're testing throws at 30 yards, 40 yards or even 50 yards for him...all his average velocity readings are on a pro caliber curve. There's not much difference between his velocity curve and Tannehill's.

Here's another throw with pro velocity (0:48:38):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6YPwDGinY6I#t=2918

And it's not like he's taking a bunch of steps and heaving the football from a running start like this is some distance competition.

It really doesn't matter whether you're testing throws at 30 yards, 40 yards or even 50 yards for him...all his average velocity readings are on a pro caliber curve. There's not much difference between his velocity curve and Tannehill's.

One place was when Omar basically tweeted that on day one of OTA's as if that was already decided on what he saw day 1. I will pass on Omar's judgment of QB's and wait to see more.

One place was when Omar basically tweeted that on day one of OTA's as if that was already decided on what he saw day 1. I will pass on Omar's judgment of QB's and wait to see more.

I saw that also. I'll take CK's opinion over Kelly's every time.

Back
Top Bottom