Brock Jensen Brings Championship Pedigree To Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brock Jensen Brings Championship Pedigree To Dolphins

One place was when Omar basically tweeted that on day one of OTA's as if that was already decided on what he saw day 1. I will pass on Omar's judgment of QB's and wait to see more.

I've had this disagreement with Omar before. I respect being confident in yourself and your opinions, but in this case I would consider it to be more stubbornness. He's convinced you can't judge arm strength unless you see it live. That would probably be true in the most traditional sense, because apparently nobody's ever thought to actually measure average velocity on throws. If you're just eyeballing it then I suspect being on the field gives you a better feel than seeing it on video.

But the simple fact of the matter is these throws are recorded on video and the technology does exist to allow us to break that video down and extract average velocities. It can be done. It's not some strange hocum. I've been doing it in one manner or another since the Dolphins traded for A.J. Feeley in 2004.

I think Omar has a tendency, like most people to be honest, to take a position and then entrench himself. He didn't see a strong arm on video and so it's unsurprising he doesn't see a strong arm live. I can't speak for what he's seeing live in practices. I'm not there. But I can speak for individual throws he saw on video, throws that he and I have isolated and discussed. His eyeball perceptions told him that those throws weren't impressive, for one reason or another. But the numbers tell a much different story on those throws. If his perceptions of the throws on video can end up so contrary to the numbers then it makes me think his perceptions even live in practice can run contrary to the numbers. And when it comes to arm strength, velocity is velocity. It's a tangible, measurable quality.

I've had this disagreement with Omar before. I respect being confident in yourself and your opinions, but in this case I would consider it to be more stubbornness. He's convinced you can't judge arm strength unless you see it live. That would probably be true in the most traditional sense, because apparently nobody's ever thought to actually measure average velocity on throws. If you're just eyeballing it then I suspect being on the field gives you a better feel than seeing it on video.

But the simple fact of the matter is these throws are recorded on video and the technology does exist to allow us to break that video down and extract average velocities. It can be done. It's not some strange hocum. I've been doing it in one manner or another since the Dolphins traded for A.J. Feeley in 2004.

I think Omar has a tendency, like most people to be honest, to take a position and then entrench himself. He didn't see a strong arm on video and so it's unsurprising he doesn't see a strong arm live. I can't speak for what he's seeing live in practices. I'm not there. But I can speak for individual throws he saw on video, throws that he and I have isolated and discussed. His eyeball perceptions told him that those throws weren't impressive, for one reason or another. But the numbers tell a much different story on those throws. If his perceptions of the throws on video can end up so contrary to the numbers then it makes me think his perceptions even live in practice can run contrary to the numbers. And when it comes to arm strength, velocity is velocity. It's a tangible, measurable quality.

I would venture to guess that it will not take the coaches too long of a time to judge if he does or does not have what they determine to be an NFL quality arm etc. If not he will be released like Rodgers was IMO.

I would venture to guess that it will not take the coaches too long of a time to judge if he does or does not have what they determine to be an NFL quality arm etc. If not he will be released like Rodgers was IMO.

He won't be released any time soon. He's the guy they had targeted to bring on to compete with Pat Devlin. They'd been calling him on the third day of the draft since the 5th round, and they told him up front we don't believe anyone is going to draft you and so we're looking at you as an undrafted free agent, but you're our guy and we want you here. Then they gave him 1/8th of their pool of available UDFA signing bonus to prove how much they wanted him.

Where is the "weak arm" stuff coming from?

This is not a weak-armed throw (fast-foward to 0:08:56 if the link doesn't work right):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YPwD...tailpage#t=536

Nor is this a weak-armed throw (fast-foward to 5:14 if the link doesn't work right):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vMt...tailpage#t=314

This throw is not on target, but it's hardly a weak-armed throw either (0:39:28):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...DGinY6I#t=2368

People have these preconceived notions about what type of prospect this guy is or that guy. They know Brock Jensen is a small school winner with good stats and decent but not great size, so they assume he must have a weak arm. Then they see a weak arm even when high velocity throws are staring them in the face.

The guy isn't exactly Jamarcus Russell but to say he's got a weak arm is just not accurate.

THANK YOU CK for saving me all the typing as i was going to take task with the week arm garbage. most people who say that wouldnt know what a WEEK arm is.

when you ask people who give the week arm comment what exactly a WEEK arm is, you usually dont get anything back. and if you do its in general like he isnt as strong this qb or that qb and besides, EVERYONE knows its true reply.

and his scrambling ability is on the elway/young level. if ANYONE gives brock jensen the a real look, gives him any real time in practice and pre season games, as one poster put it, he may never come out!

he just has that IT factor.

I'm not trying to make him out to be a star or anything. I think I ended up with him barely in the top 10 of the class, or maybe just outside of it I don't have it with me. The bear case on him would be:

1. He's one beat late on a number of his throws, with a suggestion that sometimes he needs to see it before he throws it

2. His scrambling ability should very much be seen within the context of his level of competition, he's not special that way at the NFL level

3. I've seen him make some bad decisions, it's not a deal breaker but they're there

I'm so tired of seeing matt Moore and devlin on this roster, I really hope Jensen can get them out of here.

We wasted to many damn snaps in games and practice on those two, use that time to develop a better talent.

This is not a weak-armed throw (fast-foward to 0:08:56 if the link doesn't work right):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YPwDGinY6I&feature=player_detailpage#t=536

Nor is this a weak-armed throw (fast-foward to 5:14 if the link doesn't work right):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vMtL1GwHw&feature=player_detailpage#t=314

This throw is not on target, but it's hardly a weak-armed throw either (0:39:28):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6YPwDGinY6I#t=2368

People have these preconceived notions about what type of prospect this guy is or that guy. They know Brock Jensen is a small school winner with good stats and decent but not great size, so they assume he must have a weak arm. Then they see a weak arm even when high velocity throws are staring them in the face.

The guy isn't exactly Jamarcus Russell but to say he's got a weak arm is just not accurate.

IMO this guy has a strong arm i dont see anything week about his passing game.....

I am rooting for him. I am sure numerous scouts overlooked Brady as well,, due to his weak combine numbers, but sometimes it is about desire rather than being a workout warrior.

Brock Jensen didn't have any Combine numbers because he wasn't at the Combine. But at his pro day he was 6'3" & 223 lbs with 4.70 speed, a 34 inch vertical and 7.06 cone drill.

For reference, at his pro day Jarvis Landry produced a 4.61 forty at 5'11" & 205 lbs, with a 31.5 inch vertical and 7.56 cone drill.

Again I think people tend to fill in the blanks in their head, deciding the player's story based on a few cues without bothering to look and see what the player actually is. Brock Jensen is neither weak-armed nor a poor workout guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YPwDGinY6I&feature=player_detailpage#t=536

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vMtL1GwHw&feature=player_detailpage#t=314

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6YPwDGinY6I#t=2368

at worst he looks like a tyler thigpen clone, which makes me think he could run any read-option stuff Lazor installs for RT

Thanks KC, weak armed no, weird footwork yes, he looks off balance and almost falling over on his throws, his back foot is always way of the ground. Watch RT highlights from college, his footwork is just amazing, especially on the run.
RT college highlights, RT's athleticism is just amazing, watch the throw at 3:40.
[video=youtube;62rE00vSdGw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62rE00vSdGw[/video]

he is athletic, can he run and keep his eyes downfield? he is gutsy and a big game winner no doubt

Back
Top Bottom