Brown Talks Proceeding Cautiously | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brown Talks Proceeding Cautiously

arsenal said:
yup and it should increase at the same rate as the salary cap increase...

Standardizing the rookie contracts will be the first step into making all of the salary in players' contracts guaranteed. I really don't think you want to see the NFL travel down that road. Imagine the $100 million deals that Vick and Manning got if it were all guaranteed as opposed to the bonus money in those deals.

Many may not like the way unproven rookies that get picked high get paid, but the fact of the matter is that it is better than the alternative. I do not want to see an NBA type of situation in the NFL. IMO, the NFL has the best salary structure of all the sports.

jd13 said:
the problem is that ronnies agent is inexperienced and he cant screw up this contract because if he does than he wont get any knew clients...

Todd France actually represents about 25 NFL players and Ronnie Brown isn't quite the only high profile player he has. He represents three of the top 15 players selected in the 2005 draft (Ronnie Brown, Carlos Rogers, Thomas Davis). I don't think he's concerned about not getting any NEW clients.

KB21 said:
Standardizing the rookie contracts will be the first step into making all of the salary in players' contracts guaranteed. I really don't think you want to see the NFL travel down that road. Imagine the $100 million deals that Vick and Manning got if it were all guaranteed as opposed to the bonus money in those deals.

Many may not like the way unproven rookies that get picked high get paid, but the fact of the matter is that it is better than the alternative. I do not want to see an NBA type of situation in the NFL. IMO, the NFL has the best salary structure of all the sports.

i dont htink it will necessarily lead to that... you can put a cap on the amount you can give to a rookie in the draft without turning around and guaranteeing every contract... im not saying make it chump change, you can ahve the first pick make his 20 mil guaranteed, but there should be a max.... if you dont i think that will cause more problems... cause now next years number the number 1 guy will want another 20% increase and some dumb GM will have to give it to him to get him on the field... it will eventually cause a problem if nothing is done about it...

I hope that management doen't give in to all this guaranteed money crap. It's just to dangerous for a running back in the first place, and 2nd the money should be there on incentive clauses only. Just because the 49ers made a fool of themselves, don't mean we have to follow suit!

Saint Greg said:
Todd France actually represents about 25 NFL players and Ronnie Brown isn't quite the only high profile player he has. He represents three of the top 15 players selected in the 2005 draft (Ronnie Brown, Carlos Rogers, Thomas Davis). I don't think he's concerned about not getting any NEW clients.
I'd say incorrect on that one. Ronnie is the highest pick France ever had as an agent...then throw in that France also got 2 other clients picked in the top 15. I think it is very obvious that although France is helping his clients as he should, there is also another major theme here....FRANCE IS LOOKING FOR HIS OWN BIG PAYDAY!! One cannot be too naive to think France doesn't sit in his office alone at night and plan for his first HUGE commission he is going to get rom these 3 players. The man's life will literally be set just with these 3 players alone.

Also, back to Ronnie and the team. For his sake, I don't think he is going to want to root for Ricky having a good, to great game, Monday night on national TV. if it happens, Ronnie's situation is only going to get worse for him and France.

As much as I would like for us to be able to lowball Brown, we won't get away with giving him a 5% increase. If Smith was given a 20% increase, and Cadillac 15%, there's no way Brown will accept 5%. I agree that it's too much, but our hands are tied. Increase it to around 12 and get him in camp.

We have to pay him.

If he takes us to the SB during his time here we will forget how much we are paying him.

I think Wayne is out collecting cans to save up enough money to pay Ronnie. :chuckle:

They're 3 Million apart on the bonus......I'd like to see them meet in the middle at 20.5 million and call it a day.

But all of you people who are bashing Ronnie are flat out WRONG!!

The Phins are low-balling him, offering only a 5% increase when the standard has been set higher. Maybe it's in their best interest to try this tactic, because it is a lot to guarantee a rookie RB, but don't "hate" on Ronnie for not taking the bait.

At least negotiations are progressing "cautiously" rather than, say, "rancorously." That would really be destructive.

It's not just about willingness to sign him on the Dolphins part. It also has to do with the salary cap. We have a rookie cap that we are required to stay within, and with all of our other draft picks signed both sides know exactly how much money is available. Now is the time for both sides to just STFU and sign.

TarHeelFinFan said:
It's not just about willingness to sign him on the Dolphins part. It also has to do with the salary cap. We have a rookie cap that we are required to stay within, and with all of our other draft picks signed both sides know exactly how much money is available. Now is the time for both sides to just STFU and sign.

The rookie cap has nothing to do with guaranteed money.

Maybe not, but it certainly impacts our overall cap situation for the next several years. Not to mention rookies shouldn't be talking about gauranteed money, they haven't gauranteed they're going to be league superstars, so they shouldn't be guaranteed league superstar money.

TarHeelFinFan said:
so they shouldn't be guaranteed league superstar money.

Well they are and there's nothing we can do about it.

byroan said:
Well they are and there's nothing we can do about it.
Eventually something will have to be done about it because rookie pay increases are vastly exceeding salary cap increases, so rookies will either eventually take a huge hit all at once, or their $-lust will need to be moderated somehow.

Back
Top Bottom