Keeper of the Old Code
Club Member
Reaction score

Rank 1
Xavien Howard
Miami Dolphins · Year 7

Byron Jones
Miami Dolphins · Year 8

The Dolphins have invested heavily in the cornerback position, and it has paid off with an outstanding performance on the perimeters. Howard and Jones excel in man-to-man coverage schemes, and the defense's success is predicated on their ability to put wideouts in straitjackets. Although the 28-year-old Howard is more of a ballhawk than shutdown corner, the perennial Pro Bowler has mastered the art of taking the ball away. Whether he snags the ball on a tip or overthrown pass or makes an aggressive break after reading the route, the veteran has a knack for coming down with picks. Jones, 29, does not possess the ball skills and instincts to register huge turnover numbers, but he is a sticky defender in coverage. As a decathlete with outstanding speed and leaping ability, the veteran provides blanket coverage against WR2s on the other side of the field. With a pair of high-end corners at his disposal, third-year defensive coordinator Josh Boyer can unleash the hounds on opponents with his aggressive blitz schemes.

THE NEXT TWO: 2) Marlon Humphrey and Marcus Peters, Baltimore Ravens; 3) Jaire Alexander and Rasul Douglas, Green Bay Packers.

Excellent. It's hard to argue any differently.

I'm sure there will be ppl in this thread bitching about Jones, but he is a key to the defense, and the flexibility the Phins have to run a lot of the "exotic" alignments.
I think some posters on here underrate Jones simply because he doesn’t have many interceptions compared to Howard. Yet when Jones had missed games, the overall defense and particularly the secondary is not nearly as effective as the defense is when he is healthy and playing.

I think his signing in free agency was one of the best signings Grier has made since becoming the teams GM.

I'm taking Hill/Waddle over any of the WR duos listed. Having Adams and Renfrow as the number 2 duo is laughable
Regardless of where I would put Hill/Waddle on that list... There's no way Chargers should be #1, I dont get it tbh...

Rank 1
Xavien Howard
Miami Dolphins · Year 7

Byron Jones
Miami Dolphins · Year 8

The Dolphins have invested heavily in the cornerback position, and it has paid off with an outstanding performance on the perimeters. Howard and Jones excel in man-to-man coverage schemes, and the defense's success is predicated on their ability to put wideouts in straitjackets. Although the 28-year-old Howard is more of a ballhawk than shutdown corner, the perennial Pro Bowler has mastered the art of taking the ball away. Whether he snags the ball on a tip or overthrown pass or makes an aggressive break after reading the route, the veteran has a knack for coming down with picks. Jones, 29, does not possess the ball skills and instincts to register huge turnover numbers, but he is a sticky defender in coverage. As a decathlete with outstanding speed and leaping ability, the veteran provides blanket coverage against WR2s on the other side of the field. With a pair of high-end corners at his disposal, third-year defensive coordinator Josh Boyer can unleash the hounds on opponents with his aggressive blitz schemes.

THE NEXT TWO: 2) Marlon Humphrey and Marcus Peters, Baltimore Ravens; 3) Jaire Alexander and Rasul Douglas, Green Bay Packers.
I mean we could have X and the ghost of Jeff Epstein on the other side and still be ranked #1.

X is the man.

I mean we could have X and the ghost of Jeff Epstein on the other side and still be ranked #1.

X is the man.
You don't really believe that do you? Without a highly competent corner opposite X, we would not be able to run the type of system we currently employ. X might still get his, but the overall defense would suffer.

You don't really believe that do you? Without a highly competent corner opposite X, we would not be able to run the type of system we currently employ. X might still get his, but the overall defense would suffer.
Yeah man I was totally serious

X is the man.
I guess you forgot how Iggy was abused by the Bills when Jones went down with an injury and Iggy was forced to play opposite Howard.

I assume you believe a dead Epstein would be a better NFL CB than Iggy if you actually believe the comment you wrote.

I guess you forgot how Iggy was abused by the Bills when Jones went down with an injury and Iggy was forced to play opposite Howard.

I assume you believe a dead Epstein would be a better NFL CB than Iggy if you actually believe the comment you wrote.
This board used to have a sense of humor

Back
Top Bottom