Buffalo Soldier's 3rd Annual AFC East Breakdown | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buffalo Soldier's 3rd Annual AFC East Breakdown

I have to agree with FTP with that Bill fans seem to think the world of Youboty and Paul Pozluzney. Even though they haven't played much in the NFL, they think they are great players because of college. Paul isn't the player he use to be, his injuries will take toll, he is average at best now, he will never be this super star MLB that Bill fans seem to think. Youboty isn't that good of a CB either.

I've done this the past two years and it always good for conversation. Although I'm a Bills fan, I try my best to as unbiased as possible. A lot has changed in this division in the offseason and it appears to once again shaping into the best divisions in football. The rating work like this: 4 points for the best, 3 points for the 2nd best, and so on. So without further ado, here we go:

Quarterbacks
NE 4
NYJ 3
BUF 2
MIA 1

A week ago, this was just Tom Brady and a bunch of nobodies. Obviously, a whole lot has changed. Brady, as much as I hate to say it, is one of the greatest QBs to ever play. The Jets got themselves a HOFer who is coming off a great year. Of course, the previous 2 years, he threw 47 ints. Still, he is by far and away the 2nd best QB.

Now, here's where there will be some arguments. Pennington definitely is an upgrade over what the Fins have. He is a gamer and seems to always make the right decisions. However, I see Edwards a younger version of CP without the injuries. Additionlly in their only head to head meeting, TE outplayed CP. Thus, an emerging (hopefully) Edwards gets the nod over a declining CP by the slightest of margains.

Running Backs
BUF 4
NE 3
MIA 2
NYJ 1

This one is a very tough one because of a lot of uncertainty. Lynch proved to be a very tough runner and when he was injured, Fred Jackson stepped in and played very well. NE under used Maroney last year (not that it matter) and I think Lamont Jordan is a very solid under the radar pickup.

Miami's situation is a very tough one to rate. They very well could have the best backs in the division. But with Ronnie Brown coming back from knee injury and Ricky not really playing in years, their ranking is lowered. Thomas Jones is a decent back who runs hard but is nothing special. Washington is a very good change of pace back but doesn't get enough carries to be a major player.

Wide Receivers
NE 4
NYJ 3
BUF 2
MIA 1

Not even close. Moss and Welker (though overrated) are an awesome duo. Coles and Cotchery are a very solid duo in their own right, bt neither is a gamebreaker. Lee Evans is the 2nd best receiver in the division but he has had little help. Hardy could be a beast but he is still a rookie and has a lot to prove. Miami's receivers are shaky to say the least.

Tight Ends
NE 4
NYJ 3
BUF 2
MIA 1

Worst position by far in the division. Watson is pretty good but still drops a lot of balls. Between Keller, Franks, and Baker, the Jets have some solid players but no real stars (though Keller maybe). Buffalo's TEs are bad but Miami's are worst.

Offensive Line
NE 4
BUF 3
NYJ 2
MIA 1

This group has improved the most in the division. If you have a record setting offense, your oline gets a lot of credit. Miami and the Jets have improved a lot but have yet to play together. Chemistry takes time to develop. That's why I rate Buffalo's ahead of them both. But all 4 teams have the pieces for a very solid units.

Defensive Line
NE 4
BUF 3
NYJ 2
MIA 1

NE has one of the best d-lines in football, though age maybe catching up with them. The Bills have a pro bowler in Schobel; a former pro bowler in Stroud; and run 2 deep at every position. Jenkins, IMO, isn't what he used to be and is playing a new position. But he still is an upgrade though the rest of the d-line is pretty average. Jason Taylor alone drove down Miami's ranking.

Linebackers
NE 4
BUF 3
NYJ 2
MIA 1

This one is really close. NE gets the nod, though they are fading fast. Mayo probably will be a player, but they are very old every where else. Buffalo and NYJ are almost identical. I think Poz and Harris will both have really good careers. However, I like the experience of the Bills other LBs (Mitchell and Crowell) over the potential of the Jets. And I think Pace got paid way too much money when he was a borderline bust for most of his career. And honestly, I don't know much about Miami's LBs except that Crowder was one of the most overrated players ever on this board.

Secondary
NYJ 4
BUF 3
NE 2
MIA 1

Again, another very difficult group to rate. Neither of these groups are that impressive but there is a lot of potential. Buffalo and the Jets are basically even but I give the Jets the edge because I think Rhodes is the best d back in the division. The bills have a very young group that has a lot of potential. Samuel was a huge loss and Harrison is a year older. Jason Allen doesn't look like a total bust anymore.

Special Teams
BUF 4
NYJ 3
MIA 2
NE 1

Buffalo has a good kicker, great punter, and really good returners. The Jets have a good return game and Nugent is a pretty good kicker. Ginn has a lot of potential and Feely is solid. NE can't dominate everywhere haha.

Obviously, this isn't an exact science but these are my final scores:
NE 30
BUF 26
NYJ 23
MIA 11

Again, this is just one man's opinion. The point isn't to bash other team but to make for an entertaining thread. In my opinion, this is how I believe the teams will finish in the division. I welcome any creative feedback and would appreciate filling me on any players you thinking I'm overlooking. I just am so excited that football is finally back. Enjoy the weekend! :hi5:

Cool to hear, I'll just pass on this season and wait until next year to watch. Thanks for the heads up friend! :)

A player to watch this year is rookie CB Dwight Lowery for the Jets, he has looked awesome in preseason and training camp, and is going to start day 1 for us opposite of stud CB Darrelle Revis. Lowery is faster then advertised, and has some great ball skills, he can make some nice plays on the ball, and has great instincts to make INTs.

I have to agree with FTP with that Bill fans seem to think the world of Youboty and Paul Pozluzney. Even though they haven't played much in the NFL, they think they are great players because of college. Paul isn't the player he use to be, his injuries will take toll, he is average at best now, he will never be this super star MLB that Bill fans seem to think. Youboty isn't that good of a CB either.

Youboty is in danger of being cut. Though how can anyone make a decision on Posluzny? He's barely played. The Bills put him on IR last season eventhough he was fully recovered before the end of the season. If David Harris broke his arm i'm sure Jets fans wouldn't say "his best days are behind him." If Jake Long stubs his toe i'm not going to say he's washed up. Bills fans probably are premature in their assessment of Posluzny. Though I don't know how many 23 year old NFL players with 3 games of experience best days are behind them.

Youboty is in danger of being cut. Though how can anyone make a decision on Posluzny? He's barely played. The Bills put him on IR last season eventhough he was fully recovered before the end of the season. If David Harris broke his arm i'm sure Jets fans wouldn't say "his best days are behind him." If Jake Long stubs his toe i'm not going to say he's washed up. Bills fans probably are premature in their assessment of Posluzny. Though I don't know how many 23 year old NFL players with 3 games of experience best days are behind them.

This is my point about Bills fans opinions of their talent. Most of the injuries they had to their defense last year were to young inexperienced players and those that were "veteran" players were hardly superstars. But every time a Bill fan speaks of last year and what the Bills will be this year they tell everyone that will listen that they were the most injured team in the league. Well who cares? What did you lose to injury? Tom Brady, Shawne Merriman, LT, Steve Smith??

No, but listening to Bill fans the injured players matter, but lets not discuss what they've done in the NFL...we just want credit for the injuries, we can ignore the fact the lost players were replaced by players with the same NFL experience.

Bill fans LOVE to tell us how they swept a 1-15 Dolphin team, but say nothing about playing the Dolphins twice last year and Ronnine Brown, Chris Chambers, Trent Green, Yeremiah Bell, Zach Thomas and nearly the entire starting secondary was NOT in either game they played against the Bills. Talk about injuries, I'd say Miami BY FAR had the more significant injuries during those two games. Do Bill fans give us credit for losing that amount of talent in both games? No, but we need to GIVE them credit for their LOSES! And here are Bill fans telling us how superior they are to us cause they swept us. Reality check.....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Now we are going into a new season and the Bill fans are all full of themselves and their team because they finished the 07 season second in the division, with a losing record mind you, but another FACT that gets ignored cause they don't want to talk reality, they simply want everyone to respect a team that finished statistically last in the division scored the least amount of points in the league despite having a basically healthy offense. Sorry, there is way more negative about the 07 Bills then there is positive, WAYYYY MORE! I'll respect the Bills when they earn it, till then they simply suck.

Paul was never the same after a major knee injury he had in college. Thats what I was talking about, he was billed up to be a great LB, then he tore his knee up and didn't do as well his SR year, Dan Connor out played him!

This is my point about Bills fans opinions of their talent. Most of the injuries they had to their defense last year were to young inexperienced players and those that were "veteran" players were hardly superstars. But every time a Bill fan speaks of last year and what the Bills will be this year they tell everyone that will listen that they were the most injured team in the league. Well who cares? What did you lose to injury? Tom Brady, Shawne Merriman, LT, Steve Smith??

No, but listening to Bill fans the injured players matter, but lets not discuss what they've done in the NFL...we just want credit for the injuries, we can ignore the fact the lost players were replaced by players with the same NFL experience.

Bill fans LOVE to tell us how they swept a 1-15 Dolphin team, but say nothing about playing the Dolphins twice last year and Ronnine Brown, Chris Chambers, Trent Green, Yeremiah Bell, Zach Thomas and nearly the entire starting secondary was NOT in either game they played against the Bills. Talk about injuries, I'd say Miami BY FAR had the more significant injuries during those two games. Do Bill fans give us credit for losing that amount of talent in both games? No, but we need to GIVE them credit for their LOSES! And here are Bill fans telling us how superior they are to us cause they swept us. Reality check.....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Now we are going into a new season and the Bill fans are all full of themselves and their team because they finished the 07 season second in the division, with a losing record mind you, but another FACT that gets ignored cause they don't want to talk reality, they simply want everyone to respect a team that finished statistically last in the division scored the least amount of points in the league despite having a basically healthy offense. Sorry, there is way more negative about the 07 Bills then there is positive, WAYYYY MORE! I'll respect the Bills when they earn it, till then they simply suck.

I think realistically the Jets fans are more over confident for getting a Qb who was average at best 2/3 years. Yeremiah Bell is very good when he's on the field. Problem is we say that every year and every year he gets a major injury. Trent Green is/was a concussion waiting to happen. I'd love to say I didn't expect it but even Jason Taylor last year made a comment about it.

As an outsider i'd say you make some valid points but I don't think it was a negative season last year for the Bills. They were in contention with a rookie Qb and a young team. Stats lie. If the Dolphins finished 32nd in offense and 32nd in defense but were 7-9 and the Bills finished top 5 in both categories yet were 1-15 i'd say the Dolphins were a vastly superior team.

Paul was never the same after a major knee injury he had in college. Thats what I was talking about, he was billed up to be a great LB, then he tore his knee up and didn't do as well his SR year, Dan Connor out played him!

I think both were very good linebackers. The major injury you talk about I believe didn't require surgery. Connor ended up breaking the tackle record that Posluzny set. It's not like he's a 30 year old linebacker or he had a Merriman type injury.

I think realistically the Jets fans are more over confident for getting a Qb who was average at best 2/3 years. Yeremiah Bell is very good when he's on the field. Problem is we say that every year and every year he gets a major injury. Trent Green is/was a concussion waiting to happen. I'd love to say I didn't expect it but even Jason Taylor last year made a comment about it.

As an outsider i'd say you make some valid points but I don't think it was a negative season last year for the Bills. They were in contention with a rookie Qb and a young team. Stats lie. If the Dolphins finished 32nd in offense and 32nd in defense but were 7-9 and the Bills finished top 5 in both categories yet were 1-15 i'd say the Dolphins were a vastly superior team.

The only two things that didn't prove negative for the Bills last year was more wins then the Jets and Dolphins and finishing second in the division. Neither of which was a positive in the sense that they earned the two things out right. Maimi had to go 1-15 and the Jets 4-12 for the Bills to finish second in the division. The Bills also had the worst scoring offense in the division and the league and they had the worst defense overall staistically in the division and nearly the league. You can't simply ignore those facts and say "Yeah, but they finished second in the division".

Had the Dolphins and Jets both been 9-7 and the Bills finished 10-6 and swept both teams to finish second then Yes, obviously that would have been an accomplishment that ahows they had to battle good teams to finish second, which is proof of imporvement. But they didn't. You can't simply ignore all the negative that was the Bills in 07 season and think that 7-9 with the stats they produced is the catalyst for this year and a playoff run.

The only two things that didn't prove negative for the Bills last year was more wins then the Jets and Dolphins and finishing second in the division. Neither of which was a positive in the sense that they earned the two things out right. Maimi had to go 1-15 and the Jets 4-12 for the Bills to finish second in the division. The Bills also had the worst scoring offense in the division and the league and they had the worst defense overall staistically in the division and nearly the league. You can't simply ignore those facts and say "Yeah, but they finished second in the division".

Had the Dolphins and Jets both been 9-7 and the Bills finished 10-6 and swept both teams to finish second then Yes, obviously that would have been an accomplishment that ahows they had to battle good teams to finish second, which is proof of imporvement. But they didn't. You can't simply ignore all the negative that was the Bills in 07 season and think that 7-9 with the stats they produced is the catalyst for this year and a playoff run.

The Bills statistically had a better rushing attack than the Colts. Do I think the Bills rushing attack was better than the Colts? Obviously no, though because the stats say it under your thinking it would be true. If we look at numbers the Bills should've been 0-16. The Dolphins and Jets should've been much better teams than the Bills. Though the fact is they weren't. The only team of note they did defeat was the Redskins last season. Really weren't even competitive vs the top teams in the AFC. Though if they're as bad as the stats tell us they were then how'd they even win 7 games? Really they were in the playoff chase til Week 15 when the stats tell us they should've been done before kickoff week one.

The Bills statistically had a better rushing attack than the Colts. Do I think the Bills rushing attack was better than the Colts? Obviously no, though because the stats say it under your thinking it would be true.

First of all you take one of the most pass happy teams in the league and try to use them to stress your point, not a good example. Don't try to make more out of the fact then is there, this isn't about one statistic, it about everything combined. You'll find obvuious weaknesses in every team. That doesn't mean they fit in the same category.

If we look at numbers the Bills should've been 0-16. The Dolphins and Jets should've been much better teams than the Bills. Though the fact is they weren't.

Is it not possible that the ball just bounced the Bills way? I mean Miami lost 6 games by 3 points or less last year, obviously those games could have been won, but they weren't. Lets look at the Giants, they won 10 games last year, but go into the playoffs and kncok off three teams on the road on their way to a SB victory.

At the start of the playoffs no one would have given the Giants a snowballs chance in hell of beating the Cowboys, Packers and Pats in three consecutive games, but they did. Sometimes in sports things just go your way, you mkae plays and win games and sometimes you can't do anything right and things don't go your way, it's just the way the game goes. I could see you giving the Bills credit if there were a few wins against the better teams in the league, but I think hen you combine their 30th ranked offense, 31st ranked defense and the lowest scoring offense in the league in 07, that say's a lot about the teams they couldn't beat. It's not coincidence that the Bills had those statistics and couldn't win against the better teams in the league. One has everything to do with the other.

Really they were in the playoff chase til Week 15 when the stats tell us they should've been done before kickoff week one.

If you choose to believe in any way the Bills were ever in the playoff race that's your choice, but I don't believe for one minute the Bills were ever close. Sorry, I'm not like you to play the politically correct card with every conversation. I'd rather just lay things out there and forget the games. I refuse to give credit to a team that hasn't earned it, maybe you do, but I don't.

It's like what Marvin Lewis said today, I believe what my eye's see, not what my ear's hear. Show me, don't tell me.

First of all you take one of the most pass happy teams in the league and try to use them to stress your point, not a good example. Don't try to make more out of the fact then is there, this isn't about one statistic, it about everything combined. You'll find obvuious weaknesses in every team. That doesn't mean they fit in the same category.

Is it not possible that the ball just bounced the Bills way? I mean Miami lost 6 games by 3 points or less last year, obviously those games could have been won, but they weren't. Lets look at the Giants, they won 10 games last year, but go into the playoffs and kncok off three teams on the road on their way to a SB victory.

At the start of the playoffs no one would have given the Giants a snowballs chance in hell of beating the Cowboys, Packers and Pats in three consecutive games, but they did. Sometimes in sports things just go your way, you mkae plays and win games and sometimes you can't do anything right and things don't go your way, it's just the way the game goes. I could see you giving the Bills credit if there were a few wins against the better teams in the league, but I think hen you combine their 30th ranked offense, 31st ranked defense and the lowest scoring offense in the league in 07, that say's a lot about the teams they couldn't beat. It's not coincidence that the Bills had those statistics and couldn't win against the better teams in the league. One has everything to do with the other.

If you choose to believe in any way the Bills were ever in the playoff race that's your choice, but I don't believe for one minute the Bills were ever close. Sorry, I'm not like you to play the politically correct card with every conversation. I'd rather just lay things out there and forget the games. I refuse to give credit to a team that hasn't earned it, maybe you do, but I don't.

It's like what Marvin Lewis said today, I believe what my eye's see, not what my ear's hear. Show me, don't tell me.

They were something like 7-6 heading into Cleveland a game or so out of the race. I'm not playing the politically correct call but i'm not playing the blinded homer Dolphin fan card, which you seem to do.

They were something like 7-6 heading into Cleveland a game or so out of the race. I'm not playing the politically correct call but i'm not playing the blinded homer Dolphin fan card, which you seem to do.

I don't consider a team that's under 500 with just one win against a team with a winning record and nearly the last ranked offense and defense a playoff team, Sorry just doesn't add up. Add to that the fact that they lost their last three, pretty much proves my point. So how is that being a blinded homer? You're truly funny, I just love how you look at the facts.

"Uh, yeah they were nearly last in offensive and defensive rankings and 7-9...the last two years, and yeah, they had the lowest scoring offense in the lague and yes, their HC has a losing record, and yeas they only had one win against a team that finished the season over 500....but you're a blind homer if you don't think the Bills were on the cusp of a playoff team"!!

Tell you what, since I'm a "blinded homer" I'll ask you the same question I asked Bill fans, this should be fun.

Whens the last time any team, in any sport, finished a season nearly last on offensive and defeinve stats, but was a good team. Just one? Remember, I'm simply looking for a GOOD team, not a great team, not a terrific team, just a good team, say... a wildcard team perhaps.

I'm 100% confident you won't find one unless it's some obscure stat that a strike shortened season or league with just 10 teams in it pretty much ensuring everyone makes the playoffs, other then that, you won't find one. But I'm a blinded homer.

Funny stuff, seriously.

I don't consider a team that's under 500 with just one win against a team with a winning record and nearly the last ranked offense and defense a playoff team, Sorry just doesn't add up. Add to that the fact that they lost their last three, pretty much proves my point. So how is that being a blinded homer? You're truly funny, I just love how you look at the facts.

"Uh, yeah they were nearly last in offensive and defensive rankings and 7-9...the last two years, and yeah, they had the lowest scoring offense in the lague and yes, their HC has a losing record, and yeas they only had one win against a team that finished the season over 500....but you're a blind homer if you don't think the Bills were on the cusp of a playoff team"!!

Tell you what, since I'm a "blinded homer" I'll ask you the same question I asked Bill fans, this should be fun.

Whens the last time any team, in any sport, finished a season nearly last on offensive and defeinve stats, but was a good team. Just one? Remember, I'm simply looking for a GOOD team, not a great team, not a terrific team, just a good team, say... a wildcard team perhaps.

I'm 100% confident you won't find one unless it's some obscure stat that a strike shortened season or league with just 10 teams in it pretty much ensuring everyone makes the playoffs, other then that, you won't find one. But I'm a blinded homer.

Funny stuff, seriously.

While you look at stats i'll look at overall record? 7-9 is below average. Though that's not a bad team. 4-12 is a bad team, 1-15 is a minor league team. It may have been last year that the Diamondbacks were out-scored yet we're a playoff team. You can point to where their offense and defense rank and say they're the worst team in NFL history. Though the record shows otherwise. Which you responded they got lucky. I posted the "fact," that the Bills statistically had a better rushing attack which is using your ideology, because they finished higher statistically. Now according to your facts a 1-15 team was better than a 7-9 team because statistically they had a better offense and defense. A 4-12 team was better than a 7-9 team because they had a better offense and defense. The San Diego Chargers were not ranked in the top 6 in either offense or defense in the AFC, so thus they're not a playoff caliber team.

You look at offensive and defensive rankings and i'll look at record.

Back
Top Bottom