Building the Dolphin roster through the pain of other teams... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building the Dolphin roster through the pain of other teams...

Personally, I hope they reduce the cap, and it'll be the start of the end for guys getting way overpaid in FA. They can give a hefty raise to minimum vet contracts, if they're worried about the guys paying the bills making too much money. Hell, just put a cap on ticket prices.
The cap is negotiated between the owners and the player's union. There is a formula that ties revenue to the percentage of the gross that the players receive.

It isn't a random number, and it is legally enforceable through contract law.

I see Jones as more of our in the box safety, which McCain definitely is not. I'm hoping Miami drafts a FS type this year, maybe even Jones' old partner-in-crime, Sterns.
McCain's warts have been showing lately.

The only way I see Miami getting involved with high priced F/A is if the League does a 360 and keeps the cap flat at $190m giving Miami another $15m or so to play with. But if the cap cut stays at $175m, I wouldn't anticipate Miami getting heavily involved in F/A unless they trade X.

In the pulling stuff out of my ass / straight out guessing category, it wouldn’t surprise me if they left it at $190MM. I understand it’s contractual; however, contracts can be renegotiated. It could be an opportunity for the owners to demand something in return like a 17 game season.

What’s $15 million to most of these owners? They’re not living season to season like most regular people live paycheck to paycheck.

In the pulling stuff out of my *** / straight out guessing category, it wouldn’t surprise me if they left it at $190MM. I understand it’s contractual; however, contracts can be renegotiated. It could be an opportunity for the owners to demand something in return like a 17 game season.

What’s $15 million to most of these owners? They’re not living season to season like most regular people live paycheck to paycheck.
Any contract can be renegotiated... and obviously, the players don't want the cap to drop to 175M, but there are a number of teams who are below the cap who'd likely vote no on any deal, just because they are in such an advantageous position.

I mean, we have the no 1 scoring D in the NFL and we only paid 2 guys (X and Jones) big money.
Clearly this was our design; get two shut-down type corners and scheme the pass rush. And considering how much money that a dominant edge receives and how often that these types of players become ineffective with age and injuries, I think this was the way to go. But now, we really need to think about drafting a star pass rusher every single year until we get one; it really is exactly like drafting a QB.

Personally, I hope they reduce the cap, and it'll be the start of the end for guys getting way overpaid in FA. They can give a hefty raise to minimum vet contracts, if they're worried about the guys paying the bills making too much money. Hell, just put a cap on ticket prices.
Yeesh, why you trying to take away another person's salary, lol

I hope these guys get every dime they can. They deserve it

Clearly this was our design; get two shut-down type corners and scheme the pass rush. And considering how much money that a dominant edge receives and how often that these types of players become ineffective with age and injuries, I think this was the way to go. But now, we really need to think about drafting a star pass rusher every single year until we get one; it really is exactly like drafting a QB.
I agree. And id keep drafting CBs...pass rushers and CBS on Defense.

OT and WR on offense.

Obviously, all predicated on having a franchise QB.

We know that Belichick (and apparently Flores, too) builds his defense from back to front. With that in mind, and keeping the spirit of this thread, here is a scenario.

The Saints (as has been documented) are really in salary cap hell. Overthecap...has done a complete write up and documented their most like courses of action. They surmised that Marshon Lattimore is the most likely player to be traded.

Two reasons that's of interest. One, he is a talented player. Two, he wasn't great this past year. Three, 2021 is the last year our secondary resembles anything like it does now, personnel wise.

He is 6'0, 190....and he'll be 25 when the 2021 season starts. If Flores, Boyer, Alexander, Grier, etc think he can play at a high level, then it might make sense. His 2021 number is around $10 million.

The team would have a year to analyze him and either extend him or let him walk (looking at a compensatory pick if we are lucky enough to handle FA correctly.)If he is the player he has been much of his career, it could be very good for the Fins. If he's not, (and we offered a third and sixth rounder, just for arguments sake), it would cost us that minus whatever we were able to recoup in compensatory picks.

The AFC East has Josh Allen, one of the most talented young QBs in the NFL. The jets are likely to choose a talented QB in this draft. NE is likely to get that cesspool situation fixed (I wouldn't be surprised to see Garoppolo back, and playing better for NE than he did in SF). Bottom line is you can never have enough good CBs in this division and in this league. Sometimes getting them is reaching outside the box.

Of course, depending on how the draft goes, it might be a moot point. I think if we trade back and get additional picks for the Houston pick, we can choose some talented CBs and have 2021 to get them ready to play.

Jimmy Johnson used to say that most obvious improvement in players in the league comes in between years 1 and 2. If that is true, then we should have a much improved team, just from that experience alone. Adding good players to our improving rookies can only help!

Thanks for reading this long and probably "not gonna happen" post! :lol:

It all remains to be seen, what eventually happens with the cap cut and its ramifications regarding how those teams over the cap react. This is a bottom line business, so the owners and players will have to adjust to the economic impact of Covid. Short term it looks like its going to be huge for some teams who are in good financial position to take advantage of those who are not. The draft becomes even more important to those who will have to cut cost. Miami's in a good spot because they have such a young team and plenty of draft capital already.

Back
Top Bottom