Building the Dolphin roster through the pain of other teams... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building the Dolphin roster through the pain of other teams...

Grier and our FO have done a good job structuring contracts with an eye on the future. Guys like Van Noy and Jones will provide leadership to the younger players on rookie contracts. When those guys need extensions, Van Noy and Jones will either be gone or on reworked deals. We also have money tied up in guys like Flowers and Lawson which will be moveable in a year or two as needed. We are in a good spot cap space wise.
We are OK, but not great. We would have been "golden", under normal circumstances.

On the positive side, it appears we have 13-14 mil to carry over from this year. That should just about cover any drafted players.

These are the teams who are presently over next year's cap (via overthecap.com)

The 4th column is the number of players that they current have on their signed roster for 2021. For instance, the Chiefs are already over the cap by 23 million dollars, and yet, only have 36 signed players. As good as they are, they are already sliding into cap Hell. The 7 or 8 cheap drafted players that they get this year won't even fill their roster.

These are the teams that MUST shed players or even worse, convert their stars contracts into bonus money (which will only delay the pain into 2022 and beyond). Some of these teams are looking at a complete tear down and are in danger of losing every single good player on their roster. Sometimes you can't even cut a good player, because this only causes their past bonuses to be immediately payable vs. the cap and you actually make things worse. For instance, Michael Thomas of the Saints. His cap number is 18 million, but they would actually LOSE 4.2 million by cutting him (so he isn't really available).

I bring this up, because many people look at Miami cap number (approximately 26 million in space), and think, "Gosh, we should go spend all of that... RIGHT NOW), but this just isn't the way to build for the long haul, this just leads to problems almost immediately... and as you can see from the Saints and the Eagles... eventually the payment comes due... and while this is okay with an older team, because they've got to win RIGHT NOW because they are out of time, but the Dolphins are THE youngest team in the NFL.

I could go on at length, but instead... I encourage you to go to overthecap.com and get into the details on just which signed players (from other teams) are truly available. Look for teams in cap Hell who have players that, when traded or released, (and the situations ARE different) would generate savings against the cap for those teams. Some of these teams will be jettisoning 5-10 effective veterans just due to not being to pay them.

Good Luck.

Titans$8,051,211($2,508,789)35$171,976,469$722,320
Bills$2,787,152($3,152,848)42$175,331,692$2,041,156
Bears($89,572)($10,649,572)35$181,073,580$1,870,992
Raiders($7,622,096)($15,542,096)39$187,083,331$1,220,765
Vikings($8,387,671)($11,027,671)47$188,380,357$507,314
Texans($13,559,400)($16,859,400)46$199,248,959$361,441
Chiefs($13,752,129)($23,652,129)36$194,630,603$693,526
Rams($20,928,472)($24,888,472)45$194,677,707$8,591,765
Steelers($21,009,219)($31,569,219)35$202,576,260$362,959
Packers($21,041,244)($27,641,244)41$200,938,102$353,142
Falcons($24,394,641)($37,594,641)31$194,684,522$7,810,119
Eagles($70,724,761)($70,724,761)52$269,284,972$539,789
Saints($95,050,739)($99,010,739)45$276,015,521$381,218
...dude, you're like in deep! If you keep this **** up I'm gonna call Chris (aka Mister Grier) and tell him you're like using all available neurons to cogitate remunerate and regurgitate every conceivable conception when it comes to my yammie Dolphins! And, "no way" I'm investing my time looking at football cap numbers! Please post something "lighter" to digest ------- way to much cholesterol in this one for me! >>> on statins and blood pressure meds already!

...dude, you're like in deep! If you keep this **** up I'm gonna call Chris (aka Mister Grier) and tell him you're like using all available neurons to cogitate remunerate and regurgitate every conceivable conception when it comes to my yammie Dolphins! And, "no way" I'm investing my time looking at football cap numbers! Please post something "lighter" to digest ------- way to much cholesterol in this one for me! >>> on statins and blood pressure meds already!
Heh! I'm a cap nerd. We all have our interests here. I like bad jokes, music, the cap, and the thought of you naked.

Good question. There are obviously players I like there like Sewell, Parsons, Smith and Chase. But if a team offers Grier two #1's and two #2's to move up for Fields or Wilson, I think Miami likely makes that trade.
This is exactly what makes picking #3 so important. Its about the future not just getting a player who can help now, but an indictment about continuing the trend moving forward. To me they've set a precedent and are possibly playing chess, when everyone else is playing checkers. Thats if they trade the pick of course.

Last edited:
Good gosh if we somehow parlay #3 into 2 firsts and 2 seconds.... Tunsil for 3 firsts and 3 seconds, with next year looming to possibly get more assets. That is getting into Hershel Walker territory for the impact of one trade. Thanks BOB

This is exactly what makes picking #3 so important. Its about the future not just getting a player who can help now, but and indictment about continuing the trend moving forward. To me they've set a precedent and are possibly playing chess, when everyone else is playing checkers. Thats if they trade the pick of course.
I'd venture a guess that over the last 10 years, New England, Pittsburgh and maybe Philadelphia have received the most compensatory draft picks. Those are usually lower round picks, starting at the end of round 3, I believe.

Anyway, more draft picks gives a team more chances to succeed. You get players on a rookie contract etc. Miami has a chance to own the draft with higher round picks and, potentially at least, keep stockpiling picks.

Sooner or later, good players need to be paid and the Dolphins will not be able to keep all the players the fans want them to keep. It's not easy to sustain long-term success. But we already know spending big in free agency doesn't work.

Hopefully, Tua's the answer at quarterback because having that position set is necessary. That gives a team a longer window for success.

I'd venture a guess that over the last 10 years, New England, Pittsburgh and maybe Philadelphia have received the most compensatory draft picks. Those are usually lower round picks, starting at the end of round 3, I believe.

Anyway, more draft picks gives a team more chances to succeed. You get players on a rookie contract etc. Miami has a chance to own the draft with higher round picks and, potentially at least, keep stockpiling picks.

Sooner or later, good players need to be paid and the Dolphins will not be able to keep all the players the fans want them to keep. It's not easy to sustain long-term success. But we already know spending big in free agency doesn't work.

Hopefully, Tua's the answer at quarterback because having that position set is necessary. That gives a team a longer window for success.
Exactly!!! Only difference is the picks Miami gains, would be, premium picks, not compensation picks and premium draft picks are more valuable to a team, I'd think.

With Fields playing well again and Wilson having declared, if Miami actually gets #3, you can bet teams will start calling on Monday morning.

Last edited:
If they want Smith, getting him at #7 rather than #3 means he will be cheaper. On the cap, keep in mind that more draft picks means more money needed for that pool as well. Who do we lose in FA? How will we replace them?

Exactly!!! Only difference is the picks Miami gains, would be, premium picks, not compensation picks and premium draft picks are more valuable to a team, I'd think.

With Fields playing well again and Wilson having declared, if Miami actually gets #3, you can bet teams will start calling on Monday morning.
No doubt. Reasonable guess, Miami deals down.

Carolina could be the best trade partner if the Dolphins want to stay in the top 10.

If they want Smith, getting him at #7 rather than #3 means he will be cheaper. On the cap, keep in mind that more draft picks means more money needed for that pool as well. Who do we lose in FA? How will we replace them?
Here's a list of FAs. Honestly, it's possible we don't keep any of them. Karras and Fitz would be the only notable losses. Fitz is likely retiring, and if Karras wants more than he's making now, I can see moving on from him, as well.

Back
Top Bottom