Building the Dolphin roster through the pain of other teams... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building the Dolphin roster through the pain of other teams...

Roberts, Haack and Godchaux are good players as well that would need replacing

Roberts, Haack and Godchaux are good players as well that would need replacing
I can see keeping Roberts. DG has, effectively, already been replaced. I suppose he is decent depth, at the right price. Haack? IDK, is he really any better than a guy on a rookie, or UDFA contract?

I mean bring 4 or 5 guys into camp. You are bound to find a guy for punts. On the other hand, Haack has been pretty good on those trickery ST plays.

We gotta make sure we do our best to trade with a team that is most likely going to be bad next year as well.

The Bills still have to give Allen his second deal and Diggs may want to renegotiate. The Bills cap situation at initial impression is interesting.
They can release or rework depth guys and be fine. Right now Quinton Jefferson has an 8 mil cap hit In 2021. Vernon Butler almost 8. John Brown is 9.75 and wasn’t healthy all year this year. They could pull the shoot on him after this year (perhaps Stills is already his 2021 replacement plan) and those three released players alone save them over 21 million on the cap. Throw in a Lee Smith and his 2.25. They’ll be fine without having to do much damage. Things get even bigger if they decide to move on from an aging Jerry Hughes. He saves over 7 alone. Or they could rework some of these vets to more team friendly hits.

Teams always find a way

If they want Smith, getting him at #7 rather than #3 means he will be cheaper. On the cap, keep in mind that more draft picks means more money needed for that pool as well. Who do we lose in FA? How will we replace them?

I see lower draft choices vs. moderately priced FA's an exercise in identifying real potential in late round draft picks vs actual potential and estimated declining skills for more money.

These may be the most difficult decisions to be made in the "drafting vs free agents" selections. A team has to be consistently effective year after year for the team to reach a state of consistently superior performance.

Okay, for some reason I really struggle grasping nfl cap scenarios more than say, the nhl, so I have a question. If the dolphins end up picking 3rd and decide to go the route of taking Sewell, could they move Flowers (cut or trade) to free up cap space for a FA wide receiver. Anywhere else that we could free up cap, Jakeem Grant maybe? I guess what I can never seem to figure out is dead money.

Okay, for some reason I really struggle grasping nfl cap scenarios more than say, the nhl, so I have a question. If the dolphins end up picking 3rd and decide to go the route of taking Sewell, could they move Flowers (cut or trade) to free up cap space for a FA wide receiver. Anywhere else that we could free up cap, Jakeem Grant maybe? I guess what I can never seem to figure out is dead money.
Grant's contract is expendable. Flowers on the other hand is not. But Flowers' contract can be dumped after the 2021 season. Id move him to the bench if Miami actually drafts Sewell. Other expendable contracts are Wilson and Hurns. There isn't much wiggle room this year in terms of cutting contracts. Perhaps Bobby McCain gets cut or restructured to help. Dependant on whether Miami feels Jones is ready for a full time spot or they draft a replacement?

Here's a list of FAs. Honestly, it's possible we don't keep any of them. Karras and Fitz would be the only notable losses. Fitz is likely retiring, and if Karras wants more than he's making now, I can see moving on from him, as well.

I'm kinda perky for Pankey...

1.jpg

Grant's contract is expendable. Flowers on the other hand is not. But Flowers' contract can be dumped after the 2021 season. Id move him to the bench if Miami actually drafts Sewell. Other expendable contracts are Wilson and Hurns. There isn't much wiggle room this year in terms of cutting contracts. Perhaps Bobby McCain gets cut or restructured to help. Dependant on whether Miami feels Jones is ready for a full time spot or they draft a replacement?
I see Jones as more of our in the box safety, which McCain definitely is not. I'm hoping Miami drafts a FS type this year, maybe even Jones' old partner-in-crime, Sterns.

Thanks!

The only way I see Miami getting involved with high priced F/A is if the League does a 360 and keeps the cap flat at $190m giving Miami another $15m or so to play with. But if the cap cut stays at $175m, I wouldn't anticipate Miami getting heavily involved in F/A unless they trade X.

There are a lot of moves that could make small gains. Grant, Hurns, etc. Most of them come with cap hits, that go along with the savings.

The reality is our pair of highly paid corners are the only ones making big $.

Sure, you could cut guys like Ogbah, but then you have to replace them.

Flowers wouldn't be a big loss, but the savings would be minimal.

Jesse Davis could definitely be a cap casualty. Even there, it is 2 mil dead money, for 2.5 mil savings.

I wouldn't look for any huge moves for solely cap purposes.

The only way I see Miami getting involved with high priced F/A is if the League does a 360 and keeps the cap flat at $190m giving Miami another $15m or so to play with. But if the cap cut stays at $175m, I wouldn't anticipate Miami getting heavily involved in F/A unless they trade X.
Personally, I hope they reduce the cap, and it'll be the start of the end for guys getting way overpaid in FA. They can give a hefty raise to minimum vet contracts, if they're worried about the guys paying the bills making too much money. Hell, just put a cap on ticket prices.

Back
Top Bottom