Building the Dolphin roster through the pain of other teams... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building the Dolphin roster through the pain of other teams...

Loving some Feverdream posts.

I suppose it would be too much for some posters to give credit to Grier for any of this?

Even if we get blown out tomorrow, the near term future looks verrrrrry interesting....

I've said it before, but maybe it's worth repeating here.

Miami may be in a position to accomplish something kind of rare. If the Dolphins end up with that #3 pick, with three quarterbacks expected to go very high, Miami could potentially trade down and get a slew of picks.

Essentially, the Dolphins could end up with two firsts and two second round picks three years in a row.

Playing it forward by stockpiling draft picks seems like the better method toward long-term sustainability.

What is often overlooked is Miami will likely carry ~$10mm over into the '21 season. That's not much spendable cap.

Still don't expect Miami to spend big in FA. The good news is there could be so many good players available because of cap, Miami may get some pretty good FA's without spending a lot
I don’t....mostly draft and cheap signings!

I think they are willing but they have to feel they are great players. They did hand a big contract to Byron Jones.
A lot of money for a guy who plays the ball like Tom Cruise in 'All The Right Moves' (spoiler: he played the man and got a key PI penalty)

I've said it before, but maybe it's worth repeating here.

Miami may be in a position to accomplish something kind of rare. If the Dolphins end up with that #3 pick, with three quarterbacks expected to go very high, Miami could potentially trade down and get a slew of picks.

Essentially, the Dolphins could end up with two firsts and two second round picks three years in a row.

Playing it forward by stockpiling draft picks seems like the better method toward long-term sustainability.
It's a question of what player at #3 overall can make Miami a 2021 super bowl contender and if the answer is 'none' then you trade back and get more picks.
I dont think there is a 'magic bullet' player there.

Loving some Feverdream posts.

I suppose it would be too much for some posters to give credit to Grier for any of this?

Even if we get blown out tomorrow, the near term future looks verrrrrry interesting....
Stoobz: your Avatar looks like Belichick after getting smoked by Buffalo last week.

It's a question of what player at #3 overall can make Miami a 2021 super bowl contender and if the answer is 'none' then you trade back and get more picks.
I dont think there is a 'magic bullet' player there.
Good question. There are obviously players I like there like Sewell, Parsons, Smith and Chase. But if a team offers Grier two #1's and two #2's to move up for Fields or Wilson, I think Miami likely makes that trade.

Sewell would be tempting at 3. If a too good to be true offer is made, i think that trumps.
If we trade down 2-3-4 spots, you're STILL looking at Chase, Parsons, Waddle, Smith, Pitts...if QB's go 1 and 2, and you are trading down with a team who wants a QB.
And add Sewell to that list of players if the team you trade down with takes a QB..so if Lawrence, Fields(who played well vs Clemson) and BYU QB go 1-2-3....you've got leeway all the way to 9, if that's your fancy.
But it's still so early- our season isn't even over yet and Fields/Lawrence/Wilson? haven't declared.

Build and sustain through the draft.

I am all for trading our 3rd draft (from Houston) for a later round 1st and extra picks in 2022. We have plenty of picks to get our RB, a couple of WR and DE. Guys like Noah, Gaskin, and Stowbridge will be important moving forward. If Noah could step up we could trade Howard or Jones while they are peaking; especially if Howard prices himself out.

The Saints are $95M over the projected salary cap. They are all in for success this season because they are in total and complete salary cap hell in 2021. Mickey Loomis is seen as a good GM but this unmitigated fiscal disaster has been looming for years (as Drew Brees got paid ridiculously high signing bonuses and tiny salaries - ultimately the dead cap hit occurs for irresponsibly juggling the books - the chickens finally come home to roost). They are in a position where they will have to take extremely drastic action. Some top class players are likely to become available. Many NFL analysts and fans will be absolutely shocked but the magnitude of their salary commitments are such that this cannot easily be fixed with a bit of trimming at the edges. Dolphins GM Chris Grier and a few other GMs are licking their lips at the imminent Saints player fire sale.

Last edited:
With a goal of slashing approximately $90 million off the Saints’ 2021 cap number, let’s get to work.

Player Cuts

QB Drew Brees

The Saints will likely have a change at quarterback, with future Hall of Famer Drew Brees expected to retire at the end of the 2020 season. We’ll start there for our first transaction. Brees currently has a $36.15 million cap number for 2021, comprised of a $25 million P5 salary (P5 meaning base) and $11.15 million in prorated bonus. While the resulting dead money from Brees’ contract will be vast, we will need to save what we can off the 2021 cap. Brees also has two voidable years attached to his contract, so solely for cap purposes, his contract runs through 2023. If the Saints were to cut Brees in 2021 in connection with his retirement, the team would incur $22.65 million in dead money, while saving $13.5 million. For the purposes of this article, we’ll presume the Saints will go ahead with this move and save a much needed $13.5 million from their 2021 cap....

Overthecap.com

Grier and our FO have done a good job structuring contracts with an eye on the future. Guys like Van Noy and Jones will provide leadership to the younger players on rookie contracts. When those guys need extensions, Van Noy and Jones will either be gone or on reworked deals. We also have money tied up in guys like Flowers and Lawson which will be moveable in a year or two as needed. We are in a good spot cap space wise.

Back
Top Bottom