Burke Upset | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Burke Upset

Our defense was playing great all year...one bad game, let's fire Burke.

Good god.

I'm going to drop a VIP plug for Finheaven real quick.

Detroit's offense is legit. Oddly, it is their defense that makes them a crappy team. Burke has nothing to be proud about, but the Lions put up points against most teams. It's our offense who couldn't outscore them. IMHO, the entire team needs to play better, not just the defense. Despite the good offensive day for the Dolphins … teams that play the Lions are in a shootout … which means the offense needs to win it, and we didn't.

The defense was awful Sunday but not many finheaven posters would ever be willing to concede that the offense needs to win anything. It's been the theme around here for years. I seriously think we could lose 3-0 and there would be guys bitching about the FG drive we gave up. Bad week for this I know but again the offense has been the worse unit on this team for as long as I can remember.

You know what I am tired of hearing from this coaching staff "we obviously didn't prepare them well enough". I've heard that statement at least ten times from the Gase down. You know what word I am starting to link to this staff:

in·ept
/iˈnept/
adjective
  1. having or showing no skill; clumsy.
    "the inept handling of the team"

I said it before and I'll say it again,"We have a moron running our defense"

images

Defensive coordinator Matt Burke, whose unit allowed 32 points and 457 yards against Detroit, called the defense’s performance “a collectively crappy effort. It obviously comes from coaching staff down. We obviously didn’t prepare them well enough. We had breakdowns across the board at every level - missed alignments, missed assignments, missed tackles. We’re not going to point fingers at a single group.”

Will there be playing time changes as result?

“We we are going to put the best players to win this game,” Burke said. “...We have to do a better job of being prepared. I’m at a little bit of a loss for words for how things went. We have to do a better job preparing them to be ready to play from the first whistle.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article220157280.html#storylink=rss

The good news is he's identified the problem(s). Now comes the hard part - actually CORRECTING the problems. That's what differentiates GOOD coaches from BAD coaches. Don't know what he can accomplish on a short week, but FIX IT.

Detroit's offense is legit. Oddly, it is their defense that makes them a crappy team. Burke has nothing to be proud about, but the Lions put up points against most teams. It's our offense who couldn't outscore them. IMHO, the entire team needs to play better, not just the defense. Despite the good offensive day for the Dolphins … teams that play the Lions are in a shootout … which means the offense needs to win it, and we didn't.

It's not that the lions put up points, its that the defense forced one punt the entire game. It's that the defense can't get off the field ever unless they get a turnover it seems. It's that when the Lions would get a 15 yard penalty and be 1st and 25 they would throw a 26 yard pass for a first down. It's that you have three solid cover corners against a team whos best pass catchers are the three top receivers and instead of playing man you play zone the entire game which a good QB will carve up if he has time. And considering we dont get sacks even with our "fantastic" wide 9 scheme, thinking stafford wont have the time to carve us up is bad coaching. This was a terrible gameplan, I understand playing more zone against a team like Chicago who has Cohen and Burton because we don't have anyone to cover those guys. The lions do not have a TE and Johnson has 15 catches all year. The gameplan should have been to play man coverage and stack the box to stop the run. Do I expect Miami to pitch a shutout, hell no. Hell even if they give up 20 something points but actually forced punts and gave our offense more chances I would be okay with that. Roberts had 2 TD's against us. I don't care how bad Kiko, Reshad or TD are in coverage, they could have stuck with this guy down the sidelines easily.

Good god.

No it wasn't, it has sucked in 3 of the last 4 games, Cincy being the exception. Even prior to that it was relying heavily on the talented players we have in the secondary to get takeaways, those turnovers have dried up of late and we are being woefully exposed.

Good god.

The defense has been terrible most of the year, they have survived with well timed turnovers. When they don't get those turnovers, games like the last two and the Pats are what happen. And even against the Bears they got turnovers, that game could have been much worse. Cincy is the only game I was impressed with the D.

No it wasn't, it has sucked in 3 of the last 4 games, Cincy being the exception. Even prior to that it was relying heavily on the talented players we have in the secondary to get takeaways, those turnovers have dried up of late and we are being woefully exposed.

I get it - but there are no ifs when it comes to well-timed turnovers. That's good defense. We've been good in the redzone too if I remember correctly.

We're also getting nothing from Wake, Quinn, and Harris. In addition our LB core while improved, is still mediocre at best.

I get that we're not playing great, and historically we haven't, but outside of our secondary that cupboard is bare dry. That's why the Lions only attempted 22 passes against us last week. Our secondary is strong, but the front 7 is piss poor especially coming off the edge.

The point is you can't just fire coaches every week. They aren't easy to replace and are never typically as bad as the fans make them out to be.

I'll never understand the logic behind these post and I'm being genuine here.

Hey Anu, it's not about logic, it is the frustration that comes with the emotional investment and a continual let down. Overall, Miami is # 29 in yards against, #18 points against, (tied with Cleveland). Now what is weird is that they are actually a little better than the Evil Empire, the difference is that the Empire can score a bazillion points at any point, so keeping the Points against down, is not as concerning for them.

Along with this, for over two years Mr. Gase has made much about culture, taking playbooks home, missing assignments, following the game plan and not improvising, doing things "His" way. Yet here we are again, with an inept D and an under-performing O.

So when Phin fans see Doug Pederson take Nick Foles, and beat the Evil Empire for a Super Bowl win, and he got there in two years, well, it is completely understandable that there is an overflow of frustration, and obviously this leads to anger. I will admit I have been completely wrong in coach choices, but to my defense, I didn't know that O.C.s did not call plays, so I thought that Philbin would be a winner, but, in all honesty, it was not his system in G.B. Now I did know that Mr. Gase did not design or execute Denver's offense, it was Manning and Kubiak, so I kind of knew Mr Gase didn't really come up with anything.

My solution, hire Scott Pioli, and allow him to run the organization.

The Ever On The Pioli CrazyTrain VIPER

I read something on Twitter, so take it with a grain of salt, that a women (players wife or GF or something) told the tweeter that a bunch of the players were out partying until 5:00am on Sunday morning. I really hope this isn't true. Not sure why I'm sharing it because the source is sketchy at best.

Back
Top Bottom