Cameron Brate? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cameron Brate?

I heavily go for Cameron Brate, because he is available and Miami has a need at TE. He may be RFA, but Tampa already has a very strong starting TE in O.J.Howard and they cannot afford to pay every salary to Brate - not to mention the 7.2 Million spotrac.com is projecting for Cameron Brate. He is a huge (6 ft 5) athletic target and he is able to score TDs. He is very good especially in the Red Zone. He isn´t very strong in run blocking but he is very productive in Offense. Because of his little snaps he will get at Tampa because of Howard, he will be the ideal target in the free agency. If the Phins additionaly draft Mark Andrews, who is particularly very strong in blocking, the Phins would get a powerful TE squad. So I´ll go for Brate

I have never seen anyone saying Andrews is good at blocking. This is more like it;

“Andrews has limited versatility thanks to his struggles as a blocker. The fact that Oklahoma mainly asks him to work out of the slot limits his blocking opportunities. However, he doesn’t play a physical brand of football and mainly just gets his body in front of the defender.”

We need a big upgrade at TE. I presume that Julius Thomas is done and will get cut. Brate was pretty good in Tampa and Jameis relied on him a lot. He is definitely worth looking at but I'd prefer to invest a fairly high Draft pick in a TE. (cough, Fumagalli from Wisconsin, cough). Maybe we can do both?
I just double checked the Julius Thomas contract - 2 years, total $12.2M (average $6.1M) with $7.5M guaranteed, $100K workout bonus each yr. Dead cap hit if cut in 2018 is $2M. He is a free agent in 2019.
Julius looked like he aged a helluva lot last season and was a shadow of the player that Gase knew and loved in Denver. For a $2M projected Dead Cap hit in 2018, I expect that he gets cut. Key learning from the Julius episode is for Grier to be more critical of old players who Gase loved from years ago. The truth is that Julius' poor form in Jacksonville was overlooked because of Gase's passion for the player.

Last edited:
TE’s in this draft that intrigue me;

Hayden Hurst, South Carolina
Older player, great athlete who can catch, block and plays angry

Ian Thomas, Indiana
Another great athlete who can block.

Dalton Schultz, Stanford
Blocking is his specialty but his receiving skills seem to be underrated.

All depends on how the Bucs tender him.

I'm not sure I see brate as a iso win split option more a flex that works the middle of the field

Miami likes to split the tight end for iso

I heavily go for Cameron Brate, because he is available and Miami has a need at TE. He may be RFA, but Tampa already has a very strong starting TE in O.J.Howard and they cannot afford to pay every salary to Brate - not to mention the 7.2 Million spotrac.com is projecting for Cameron Brate. He is a huge (6 ft 5) athletic target and he is able to score TDs. He is very good especially in the Red Zone. He isn´t very strong in run blocking but he is very productive in Offense. Because of his little snaps he will get at Tampa because of Howard, he will be the ideal target in the free agency. If the Phins additionaly draft Mark Andrews, who is particularly very strong in blocking, the Phins would get a powerful TE squad. So I´ll go for Brate

Thanks for the thoughts. How would Brate compare to Julian Thomas when it comes to blocking?

oj howard is in for a monster year if they clear space for him letting brate walk

monster year

in line flex iso split he can do it all

oj howard is in for a monster year if they clear space for him letting brate walk

monster year

in line flex iso split he can do it all

I fully agree. I was so pissed last year when the Bucs took him in front us.

I fully agree. I was so pissed last year when the Bucs took him in front us.

not sure why...once they signed Thomas that was never gonna happen

they were 3 point 43 de edge all the way harris or taco

The more I look at Tennessee tight end Ethan Wolf the more I like him as a mid-late day 3 draft pick. 6'5 250 moves decent. Not an elite level tight end prospect, but looks like the type of player who could become a decent starter or at least good depth. I think if he played with a team with a better qb situation than the Vols have had the past few seasons he would have put up better numbers. More of a receiving tight end at this stage and his blocking still needs some work.

Last edited:
it would feel like a typical Dolphins move to seek a temporary stopgap to a long term problem along the likes of Dustin Keller, Jordan Cameron and Julius Thomas

next year, Cameron Brate will struggle having as much snaps as he had this season with the Buccs (54%). They will go with O.J. Howard for sure - he already hat 60% of their snaps in his rookie year - so Brate will get half the snaps - at best. He is second string-TE. The Buccs may have around 65 Million cap space the upcoming season, but does that mean, they will spend around 6-8 Million to their 2nd string TE? Of course not! He hasn´t been the Buccs statring TE the last years and he won´t be starting this season. So the franchise can´t afford to pay every price other franchises want to give him. He is a restricted free agent! That means: he is able to talk to other franchises and the Buccs will have the right of first refusal. They can match any offerr, but they won´t do so if it´s the right contract and if they receive a draft pick in return. So, give one of the two 7th round picks to Tampa Bay (give the other to Denver and sign their RFA Center Matt Paradis), pay the contract Thomas has/had to Brate and receive an Tight End worth this position. Draft the second TE (maybe Andrews, maybe Hurst, maybe Fumagalli- who the Dolphins already met at Seniors Bowl - keep either Grey or Derby and the TE corps is fixed.

Back
Top Bottom