"Can David Garrard recreate Chad Pennington's magical Dolphins season?" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Can David Garrard recreate Chad Pennington's magical Dolphins season?"

we'll get penny alright...the 09 and 2010 versions...

clear.gif

If memory serves me, Pennington had a miserable approx .300 winning percentage careerwise vs top 10 scoring D's and even lower than that in the playoffs. If you think about it, his 08 season for us was worse @25% vs both the Pats and Ravens twice. So even on a good year, his noodle scared no formidable Ds.

You know the franchise is in big trouble when the "magic season," the lone highlight of the past 10+ seasons, ends with Pennington and the rest of the team getting punted by the Ravens in Miami during the first round of the playoffs. That season was great-- for a while. Then the clock struck midnight, sometime after Favre and the Jets were dispatched, and the team that took the field for the wildcard game looked remarkably less magical.

That 2008 Ravens teams was made to order to dismiss a frail pretender like the Dolphins. Baltimore had a fantastic resume, other than offensive passing. The net rushing of +14 attempts per game was phenomenal, combined with a defense much closer to its prime, allowing barely 5.1 YPA.

It's not interesting to make the playoffs with a weak roster. Invariably you'll pay for it the following season with a logical regression. Meanwhile, the Giants can sit there with key components and be a legit 2013 threat even if everything collapsed this season toward 4-12.

During the late '90s there was great disparity between the bye week squads and everyone else. You could await the -8 and more or less laugh, sensing it wasn't enough. Rarely would a wild team survive the second round. Frankly, I preferred that type of disparity. In the middle of basketball season I enjoy plug and play NFL playoff outcomes. I'm trying to find a number on St. Bonaventure, not decipher some blowhard NFL outcome. Last season happened to work out with YPPA Differential net advantage of a half yard or greater covering all but two games -- Denver/Pittsburgh and San Francisco/New Orleans -- but frankly that system is a bit shaky. I keep it only because I know if I devoted hundreds more hours I might improve the bottom line 2%. Not worth it, with such a tiny sample size per year. Give me 100 playoff games per season and extensive research would be sensible. In my early years in Las Vegas I thought personnel knowledge would translate to markedly higher winning percentage but grudgingly I conceded the guys who couldn't name 5 players per team had a grasp of the simple factors that influence outcomes, particularly when a spread is attached.

Besides, toward that Ravens result, the Dolphins don't show up the week after playing the Jets. That trend was already in place in 2008. I don't remember if I'd discovered it yet but the supporting variables didn't matter. Baltimore owned the fundamental aspects of that matchup

Yes, ONLY IF Tom Brady steps on a land mine and loses both his legs.

Tommy going out in the first game of that season was the only reason we had the opportunity to win the AFC East.

It's possible. I always thought Garrard was underrated. There wasn't a lot of offensive talent on those Jacksonville teams and his skill set, with his mobility, match Joe Philibin's offense pretty well. I think the defense will have to be lights out for 11 wins and that's really the question if this team is to make a playoff run. Are there enough pass rushers?

I always felt that Penningtons performance in 08 hurt us more than helped in the long run. It was nice to win the division title but we were not that good a team to make any kind of run. That season cost us higher draft picks/talent and harder schedules. It also raised the fan bases expectations to unreasonable levels that ultimately could not be met. Without Pennington falling into our laps that team would have been closer to a 4-12 record and top 5 picks in 09. Fan expectations would have been more realistic and our records going forward would not have been as disappointing. We would have also probably addressed the QB position a lot sooner as well. Just my 2 cents.

Tannehill will start. No reason to take a non Starter at #8 . That is a joke.

I always felt that Penningtons performance in 08 hurt us more than helped in the long run. It was nice to win the division title but we were not that good a team to make any kind of run. That season cost us higher draft picks/talent and harder schedules. It also raised the fan bases expectations to unreasonable levels that ultimately could not be met. Without Pennington falling into our laps that team would have been closer to a 4-12 record and top 5 picks in 09. Fan expectations would have been more realistic and our records going forward would not have been as disappointing. We would have also probably addressed the QB position a lot sooner as well. Just my 2 cents.

i don't know that i think it was pennys performance in 08...to me it was the wildcat...if not for the cat penny probably isn't a dolphin in 2010 sparano is probably fired sooner and we probably do invest in a qb other than henne a year sooner...the wildcat gave us a bunch of false promise...we were pretenders

Throwing to wide receivers Ted Ginn, Brandon London and Pat Cobbs...is that really any great revelation?

That game was just destiny. The Dolphins were either going to win on the ground, or not at all. They were fielding mostly pretenders at wide receiver that year anyway, and then even those pretenders got hurt. Put Phil Rivers at quarterback, destroy his ground game, and ask him to convert 3rd and Longs against the Baltimore Ravens defense with Ted Ginn, Brandon London and Patrick Cobbs as his wide receivers. It's not going to work.

i don't believe if philip rivers is under center the ravens keep hovering at the los and clogging the middle not worried about rivers ability to make plays with his arm...i think they play it a little safer despite our poor wr core...that they respect rivers a whole lot more

Not so much recreate but I do believe the situation Garrard affords the FINS is almost destine.. Imagine he comes out the gates hot like fire goes down midseason with the FINS still in post season contention.. enter the ever feisty and capable Matt Moore to save the season only to look well Matt Moore'ish' and starts to falter down the stretch because of guess who breathing down his neck from great practice showings.. Ryan Tannehill! Enter the rook to finish the season with a red hot streaking team behind him and the FINS sneak thru the backdoor to the playoffs.. and a STAR is born! Now THATS

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

whats up!

David Garrard was a joke in Jacksontucky. He freezes like a deer in headlights under pressure even when healthy. He had two pro bowl quality running backs and still couldn't deliver the goods when asked to. His best year statistically was in 2007 with 3600 yards. 300 some odd yards rushing and something like 18 tds with 15 picks. If the Fish are even remotely looking for anything other than a warm body this year, then you guys are dead before you started.

where did I bring up stats? Chad was the 2nd best QB in the league in 2002, he missed 6 games in '03 and played well after he came back, in '04 he was off to a great start before the first shoulder injury. he was much better than garrard.

Jax had a few good teams in the 00s, in '05 they went 12-4 w/ Byron Leftwich- 2 years later they made the playoffs w/ Garrard.

I brought up the stats and since you always give me **** for doing so, that should explain my comment. I already said he had a good year in 2002. That doesn't make him a top QB in the league (injuries not withstanding).

Jax had a decent team in 2004, a good year in 2005 and 2007, but not much else. Their WR core has been **** since Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell.

David Garrard was a joke in Jacksontucky. He freezes like a deer in headlights under pressure even when healthy. He had two pro bowl quality running backs and still couldn't deliver the goods when asked to. His best year statistically was in 2007 with 3600 yards. 300 some odd yards rushing and something like 18 tds with 15 picks. If the Fish are even remotely looking for anything other than a warm body this year, then you guys are dead before you started.

A QB is only as good as his running backs? What about his receivers? The last outstanding receiver Jacksonville had was Jimmy Smith who retired after the 2005 season.
18 tds with only 3 picks.

You're going with THAT being his best year, and not the year he went to the Pro Bowl and threw for 18 touchdowns, 3 INTs, 63% completion and only 2 fumbles lost. That's an interesting way to go about things. Just saying....

Back
Top Bottom