Can someone please explain Cutlers contract? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can someone please explain Cutlers contract?

Kinda makes you sick that we wasted that much cap space on a player that was beyond awful doesn't it?

Honestly? No. Because at least he gave us a good game on Monday Night and I got to watch Bill Belichick throw up in his mouth on national television.

The team sitting pretty is Jacksonville with their $39 million roll over. No one wants to play in Cleveland. Jacksonville, which has somehow managed to put up a really good season, offer money, weather, and what should be a really good team in 2018.

Get this, Drew Brees might be a free agent. That's a team with a scary defense, a good running game, talent at the offensive skill positions, and a competent coaching staff.

You take Blake Bortles out of the equation and replace him with a good quarterback, that team is possibly a Super Bowl favorite. You up the ante to a Drew Brees type of guy going out for one last ring? Yeah, nobody's going to want to play Jacksonville. That's a ****ing buzz-saw.

Well then you see why it was pretty stupid to give Cutler 10 million then. After all, if we were going to lose anyway . . . .

Agreed. But hindsight is always helpful. I can see the logic behind the gamble, but clearly it didn't pay off. It was a bad bet placed by a desperate squad.

...Get this, Drew Brees might be a free agent. That's a team with a scary defense, a good running game, talent at the offensive skill positions, and a competent coaching staff...You take Blake Bortles out of the equation and replace him with a good quarterback, that team is possibly a Super Bowl favorite. You up the ante to a Drew Brees type of guy going out for one last ring? Yeah, nobody's going to want to play Jacksonville. That's a ****ing buzz-saw.

I heard Jay Culter might be looking for work - what say we recommend him to Jax?

Technically, no. Each team has to spend 89% of their cap. So, theoretically, they would only be able to carry over 11% of their cap space, max. Unfortunately, they only average four years worth of spending, so some teams get to slide on the spending some years.

"Ah thank you, now I understand. Thats pretty crazy, so teams like the Browns who only use half their salary could just sign every big FA next year if they wanted. Interesting."

Technically, no. Each team has to spend 89% of their cap. So, theoretically, they would only be able to carry over 11% of their cap space, max. Unfortunately, they only average four years worth of spending, so some teams get to slide on the spending some years.

Could have been spent on Landrys sign on bonus this year........and then we could have paid him 9.5 annually for the next 4yrs. Which would be 48mil total over 4yrs, totally manageable, and likely close to what he wants.

But nope, we are the Dolphins. Screwing up our future for sub par players today!
It was Summer. The Dolphins still had to sell hope and tickets. Sitting on their hands and saying to the fans in August, "we'll get 'em next year", isn't good marketing.

Cutler did a good enough job running the offense. Considering when the Tannehill injury happened, to have the Cutler option available for Gase, I totally understand. The pay was spot on.

Jay Cutler just doesn't have the arm he used to and needs to rely more on mechanics, which he doesn't have and his inaccuracy because of that was brutal. Plus the OLine was god awful early on. 2015 Jay is a different QB than 2017 Jay and it was real difficult to know that but Miami was pressed into needing to make a move, and a fast one, as we were already in August.

It is a move that we were fortunate to have available and one that had to be made, but in the end we would of been better off from a future perspective not having it available.

Is what is is, forces us to draft better, which is goal number one anyways.

Yeah. Hindsight? We should have rolled with Moore and Fales. Absolutely.

At the time? It was a move that made sense. If Cutler still had the ability to throw a fastball off of his back foot, I think this season would have gone very differently. It's true that Cutler had a few brain farts, but most of the missed plays and turnovers that I saw from Cutler were of the "right decision, no ability to deliver the football" variety.

It was very unfortunate.

the rollover means nothing because he isn't signed for another year

There is no rollover.

We would of had one had we never signed him (then again that assumes we wouldn't sign somebody else which would if cost momey as well)

the rollover means nothing because he isn't signed for another year

Cap rolls over. In other words, the ten million dollars we spent on Cutler? We'd be able to spend that ten million dollars next season. Or we could have spent it this season, obviously. Signing Jay Cutler for one crummy season took ten million dollars away from the pool of money we could have used to pay players like Jarvis Landry. That's the "cap roll over" I'm talking about.

There's a finite amount of money teams can spend over a given period of time, and we just squandered a nice big chunk of what we were allocated.

Back
Top Bottom