Cap Situation - If Dolphins trade for LT Branden Albert | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap Situation - If Dolphins trade for LT Branden Albert

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
  • The Dolphins have $9.1 million remaining in cap space with 65 players under contract. Remember, only the top 51 cap numbers count against the cap, so we have 14 players under contract that do not impact the cap.

• Also remember that the Dolphins will need about $6 million in cap space for rookie contracts. That leaves $3.1 million in cap space to spend right now.

• After June 1st, the Dolphins will get an additional $10+ million in cap space. But this cap space CANNOT be used prior to June 1st, so the Dolphins can't sign Albert and wait for June 1st to come. If they are over the cap at any point, the NFL will take action.

• The Dolphins could afford to trade for Albert and take the full $9.8 million hit if they were to cut Dmitri Patterson and Richard Marshall. This would open up an additional $8 million in cap space, putting the Dolphins at around $11 million in cap space (excluding rookie cap) prior to June 1st, which is enough to then fit in Albert's cap numbers.

• There are two ways to handle the cap situation Albert would create.

[h=3]Senario 1[/h]The Dolphins could trade for Albert and sign him to a long-term deal. His cap number for 2013 would be low and would mostly likely escalate in 2014 or 2015. The risk here is that we have several contracts escalating in 2014 and another big contract would put further strain on that. But there is a way around that risk. Remember that the cap space that the Dolphins have at the end of the 2013 season will roll over. If the Dolphins were to make Albert their last significant signing and part ways with big cap numbers such as Patterson's and Marshall's, after June 1st they would still have a considerable amount of cap space and would presumably be done with big signings. Barring a significant amount of injuries forcing the Dolphins to sign more players, the Dolphins could conceivably roll over a large amount of cap space for 2014. Some quick napkin math.
Current cap space:

• $9.1 million
  • $6 million for rookies
  • $3 million

Cut Patterson and Marshall

• $11 million in cap space

Trade for Albert, sign to long-term deal

• $4 million cap hit in 2013
  • $7 million in cap space

June 1st - Dansby and Burnett off the books

• $15 million in cap space

Dolphins do not sign anymore free agents.

That $15 million roll overs to 2014, where it is much needed.

[h=3]Scenario 2 [/h]The Dolphins trade for Albert and decide to absord the $9.8 million hit this season. This could be worked under the cap and then Albert can resign for a long-term deal in 2014, with a smaller cap hit, it would fit nicely while other contracts escalate.

Current cap space:

• $9.1 million
  • $6 million for rookies
  • $3 million

Cut Patterson and Marshall

• $11 million in cap space

Trade for Albert, take $9.8 million hit

• $1 million in cap space

June 1st - Dansby and Burnett off the books

• $9 million in cap space

Dolphins do not sign anymore free agents.

That $9 million roll overs to 2014

The Dolphins were willing to resign Jake Long to a long-term deal, so there is no reason they can't figure something out with Branden Albert. They can then focus on cornerback, which makes big cap numbers such as Dmitri Patterson and Richard Marshall very expendable.

http://www.phinfever.com/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=953&Itemid=1

Its more like $8 million in savings from cutting Patterson and Marshall.

Patterson costs $4.5 mil this year and Marshall costs $5.72 mil this year, but cutting Marshall creates $2.34 mil in dead weight due to the signing bonus issued last year, netting us only a cap savings of $7.88 mill if we cut both.

Cutting one of the 2 players certainly is possible, but I dont see them cutting both CB's being its such a thin position.

They could also sign starks to a long term deal

Pretty sure you can only roll over 10 mil to the next year.....i might be wrong though.

i didnt think there was a cap on the money being allowed to roll over to the next season.in fact i think we rolled over more than 10million this year

Or option 3.....don't make the trade and draft at OT in round 2. Our cap is going to be horrible next year with Wallace counting 17mill all by himself which is crazy. We can't afford to take on another big contract. If Ireland makes that trade then for sure he's forgetting about the future and he's trying to win noiw no matter what. I can understand him trying to win now since we haven't won in 40 years but this is very risky. If we don't win right now then we're back to having to cut pplayers again next off season and we'll start all over again. I'd just rather draft our own OT and go from there.

Ozzy rules!!

i didnt think there was a cap on the money being allowed to roll over to the next season.in fact i think we rolled over more than 10million this year

There is no limit. A team HAS to roll over any unused cap space, regardless of the amount, to comply with the new CBA in spending 89% over 4 years.

Dolphins rookie cost number will be around $8M. A new contract for Albert will be cheap the first year, likely around $2M with it escalating next year. It is not a problem. Hell, we could even guarantee a roster bonus, which would come after June 1.

Or option 3.....don't make the trade and draft at OT in round 2. Our cap is going to be horrible next year with Wallace counting 17mill all by himself which is crazy. We can't afford to take on another big contract. If Ireland makes that trade then for sure he's forgetting about the future and he's trying to win noiw no matter what.

While its not entirely out of the realm of possibility that these guys are that stupid, I have to believe either Ireland or people in his employ have the ability to plan more than two years ahead. They probably cannot sign another play to a deal structured like Wallace's, but that doesn't mean they couldn't hand out another 50 mil deal tomorrow without destroying any future cap flexibility.

While its not entirely out of the realm of possibility that these guys are that stupid, I have to believe either Ireland or people in his employ have the ability to plan more than two years ahead. They probably cannot sign another play to a deal structured like Wallace's, but that doesn't mean they couldn't hand out another 50 mil deal tomorrow without destroying any future cap flexibility.

Do they? Keep on mind that teams get into cap hell all the time even tho they have people working in the FO that "should" know better. It happens all the time. Teams trying to win now and they start giving out big contracts like we've done this off season.

Ozzy rules!

Or option 3.....don't make the trade and draft at OT in round 2. Our cap is going to be horrible next year with Wallace counting 17mill all by himself which is crazy. We can't afford to take on another big contract. If Ireland makes that trade then for sure he's forgetting about the future and he's trying to win noiw no matter what. I can understand him trying to win now since we haven't won in 40 years but this is very risky. If we don't win right now then we're back to having to cut pplayers again next off season and we'll start all over again. I'd just rather draft our own OT and go from there.

Ozzy rules!!

I've seen you spewing this nonsense for quite some time now. As of right now the Fins have only $93 mill comitted to salary for 2014. Sure they will need to resign Jones and possibly Cogs or Jerry and Starks or Soliai as well as next years draft class, but to say they are facing cap hell next year is blatantly false.

I urge everyone to do yourself a favor and click on the link below to educate youself on what the Fins cap situation is for next year.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/3/...gency-2013-miami-dolphins-salary-cap-2014-cap

Back
Top Bottom