Cap Situation - If Dolphins trade for LT Branden Albert | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap Situation - If Dolphins trade for LT Branden Albert

I've seen you spewing this nonsense for quite some time now. As of right now the Fins have only $93 mill comitted to salary for 2014. Sure they will need to resign Jones and possibly Cogs or Jerry and Starks or Soliai as well as next years draft class, but to say they are facing cap hell next year is blatantly false.

I urge everyone to do yourself a favor and click on the link below to educate youself on what the Fins cap situation is for next year.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/3/...gency-2013-miami-dolphins-salary-cap-2014-cap

Thank you... i posted this in a thread like 2-3 weeks ago for all those people that think we r going to be in cap hell next year. With 2-3 cuts we could have 35-40 mil next year with having to resign 3-4 key guys only. Really young team with money.

Y
No problem man, and I appreciate the banter (and Sobe's) because obviously not everything I understand through the cap is understood correctly, so if you see a discrepancy, please dont hesitate to call me out on it and we'll try and find out if it's correct or not.

The presiding logic is that if we survive 3 years through most of these contracts... we should get through the woods, however... think about it this way, if we lose this year, and Ireland gets fired... the team goes into potentially a "full rebuilding mode" depending on the vision of the new GM.... soooo new GM takes over with a 3 year plan in place that wasnt his... yet he cant do much because for 2 more years there are serious consequences.

Thats the irony of this whole situation. If we win... great. If we lose and Jeff gets canned.... why does he care how bad the contracts are... its not his mess to clean up.

And overthecap is a phenomenal resource. Jason, the guy who runs it, started off with NYjetscap.com and then recently launched overthecap... its great. The reality of most NFL extensions with good players is that they arent set up to last the full 5 years or whatever, but it creates flexibility by apportioning giant signing bonus's across more years, so it lowers the hit by each year... however, lets say we give Branden Albert a 5 year deal... who has an injury history.. or Mike Wallace who lets say doesnt become an elite receiver like we hope (and paid him to be)... or ellerbe and wheeler turn out to be serious downgrades in LB.... now you have to make cuts, on giant deals... and assuming that happens... it probably didnt take until year 3 to figure it out...

Either way, the possibility of problems exists.. but right now its all "what if" scenarios.... question is... which ones are more likely than others... and not to be the pessimist, but betting on the team to "finally" win this year... although more likely than past years... is still highly questionable

You've done a great job here of explaining everything with a lot of logic behind it. Anyone who doesn't get what you're saying is living in fantasy land. I think that taking on another big contract is a big mistake. Also, what are the odds that every single guy we got this year in free agency will work out for us? We'd be going from most free agents not working out for us in the last 5 years to all of a sudden hiting on all of them. My point is that there's a good chance that at least 1 or 2(hoping I'm wrong) will not work out for us and will need to be replace next off season. You need to have a cushion or you're asking for trouble. I'd just draft an OT and go with that.

Ozzy rules!!

I see us resigning Jones, Keller, and perhaps Clemons depending on what kind of season he has. Starks is approaching that age that Ireland lets go and he will command some money. Soliai will leave as a FA, he is more of a NT in a 3-4 anyway. Incognito will leave as well. Martin and Odrick could be our starting DT's next year. I think Jerry will leave as well. That's a start.

Haven't seen this yet....Dolphins take a kicker with one of the 7th round picks and cut Carpenter. Would this not help the cap as well?

No problem man, and I appreciate the banter (and Sobe's) because obviously not everything I understand through the cap is understood correctly, so if you see a discrepancy, please dont hesitate to call me out on it and we'll try and find out if it's correct or not.

The presiding logic is that if we survive 3 years through most of these contracts... we should get through the woods, however... think about it this way, if we lose this year, and Ireland gets fired... the team goes into potentially a "full rebuilding mode" depending on the vision of the new GM.... soooo new GM takes over with a 3 year plan in place that wasnt his... yet he cant do much because for 2 more years there are serious consequences.

Thats the irony of this whole situation. If we win... great. If we lose and Jeff gets canned.... why does he care how bad the contracts are... its not his mess to clean up.

And overthecap is a phenomenal resource. Jason, the guy who runs it, started off with NYjetscap.com and then recently launched overthecap... its great. The reality of most NFL extensions with good players is that they arent set up to last the full 5 years or whatever, but it creates flexibility by apportioning giant signing bonus's across more years, so it lowers the hit by each year... however, lets say we give Branden Albert a 5 year deal... who has an injury history.. or Mike Wallace who lets say doesnt become an elite receiver like we hope (and paid him to be)... or ellerbe and wheeler turn out to be serious downgrades in LB.... now you have to make cuts, on giant deals... and assuming that happens... it probably didnt take until year 3 to figure it out...

Either way, the possibility of problems exists.. but right now its all "what if" scenarios.... question is... which ones are more likely than others... and not to be the pessimist, but betting on the team to "finally" win this year... although more likely than past years... is still highly questionable

Jason does a great job. Glad he went to a different site name, told him it was tuff to keep clicking on to a Jets site for Dolphin info. LOL

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/mia/

Here's a good site for Phins contract info breakdowns.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I somewhat disagree on the cap hell potential with the escalating contracts. A closer look at some of those contracts, with only guaranteed money included. The rest is meaningless IF we need to make changes.

Wheeler's deal is 5 years, with $13M guaranteed. His salary this year is $1M, next year $5M, and both guaranteed. His signing bonus of $7M, pro-rated over the 5 year term, is a cap cost of $1.4 per year. If he did not work out, after 2 years we would be hit with a $4.2M cap hit.

Ellerbe's deal is 4 years, with $14M guaranteed. His salary this year is $1M, next year is $6M, and both are guaranteed. His signing bonus of $7M, pro-rated over the 4 year term, is a cap cost of $1.75M per year. If he did not work out, after 2 years we would be hit with a $3.5M cap hit.

Wallace's deal is 5 years, wit $30M guaranteed. His salary this year is $1M, next year $15M (both guaranteed), and $3M of his $9.85 salary is also guaranteed. His signing bonus of $11M, pro-rated over the 5 year term, is a cap cost of $2.2M per year. If he did not work out, after 2 years, we would be hit with a $6.6M cap hit.

No way we give up on any of the above for at least 2 years, and I do not see the ptential cap hell if we did. IMO, we will re-do the Wallace deal to defer around $5M to down the line. It's not a hard thing to do. We could add the guaranteed money to future years, while increasing it some and/or re-do the signing bonus.

We don't have many "must keep" stars here. Starks, Soliai, Grimes, Keller, Cog, Clemons, Marshall, Patterson, Bess, and Carp, who cost around $45M this year, are all expendable if need be, and they don't play well.

I am really hoping to have a cap problem a few years from now with Tannehill but, until then, no worries.

So you're telling me there's a chance...

History means nothing here. Wallace took nothing this year but, did get his guaranteed money. His deal will be re-structured next year. I would bet on it.

There's no way in hell Wallace is deal get's restructured in just two years.. And if we have to, it probably means Wallace was a complete bust this year.

2014 base salary: $15 million (fully guaranteed). Even if he were to restructure, it just means we are moving his guaranteed payment at a later date. And that would make no sense, we would have been better off signing him to a longer term because essentially that's what we would be doing anyways, since it's fully guaranteed..

There's no way in hell Wallace is deal get's restructured in just two years.. And if we have to, it probably means Wallace was a complete bust this year.

2014 base salary: $15 million (fully guaranteed). Even if he were to restructure, it just means we are moving his guaranteed payment at a later date. And that would make no sense, we would have been better off signing him to a longer term because essentially that's what we would be doing anyways, since it's fully guaranteed..

Moving his guaranteed payment to a later date, if need be, gives us additional cap space next year. Moving dollars would make sense, as it allows the team options for other players. Don't see your problem with it. It is what NFL teams have been doing for many a moon.

Back
Top Bottom