Casserly talks about Cleveland and #4 pick | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Casserly talks about Cleveland and #4 pick

Tannehill's pro day is the 28th. We'll know whether or not we'll draft him #8 after he shows his skills, or lack thereof.

Im not sure if the Dolphins could deal with a backlash that may come if they pass on Tannehill. I for one do believe he is a reach at 8 but due to supply and demand, not to mention the media sensationalism element, they would be FRIED by the fan base!!! They need something to get the crowd somewhat relaxed.... that right there would be the start. Just my opinion.

As bad as you think Ireland is, I think that's a smart move on his part. Tannehill is a 2nd round talent only being hyped by the media and draftniks because there are only 2 QBs in this draft who are worthy of the first round: Luck and Griffin. This reminds me of the hype for Claussen a few years ago.

The Top Ten is not the place to pick a project.

LOL! Bill's fans advising not to take Tannehill. They see their team rising from the cellar and don't want anything that might change that happen. Don't worry Buffalo fans. Even if Dolphins do get Tannehil, the Jets will take your place at the bottom of the conference.

As it should be a Second Round Prospect shout NOT go in the top 10, just because of Hype.

Tannehill was a second round prospect at the start of the process.

He Must have excelled in his workouts and combine. Wait he has been hurt. What is driving the HYPE.

He was a second round pick when Barkley and Jones were still in the draft...since they decided to stay in school, he's moved up. QB's are valued differently then any other position now...

Im not sure if the Dolphins could deal with a backlash that may come if they pass on Tannehill. I for one do believe he is a reach at 8 but due to supply and demand, not to mention the media sensationalism element, they would be FRIED by the fan base!!! They need something to get the crowd somewhat relaxed.... that right there would be the start. Just my opinion.

Well, if on Sherman's advice, they skip on Tannehill (naturally assuming Cleveland doesn't take him) then I don't have a problem with that, just as I didn't have a problem passing on Quinn...

Good point but you know not everyone thinks with reason! HAHAHAHA! :thanks:

LOL! Bill's fans advising not to take Tannehill. They see their team rising from the cellar and don't want anything that might change that happen. Don't worry Buffalo fans. Even if Dolphins do get Tannehil, the Jets will take your place at the bottom of the conference.

I didn't come here to talk smack.

Drafting a QB in the first round doesn't make him a better prospect. He will be the very same QB whether he's taken at #8 or at #55. Tannehill simply doesn't have the quality resume to be a first rounder. He isn't as talented as Luck or Griffin, and he sure as heck doesn't have much experience. In other words, he's a project, and taking a project in the Top Ten, heck, anywhere in the first round IMO, is stupid.

The Fins are welcome to Tannehill at #8 because it means there'll be another, much better player available when the Bills pick at #10. However, taking Tannehill means that the Fins will pass on better talent to reach for need. Believe me, as a Bills fan, I saw quite enough of that kind of stupidity under Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron to last me forever: in 2009, this stupid pair took Aaron Maybin at #11 when Brian Orapko was still on the board because the Bills needed a DE. Guess what? Until they inked Mario Williams, the Bills still needed a DE plus they didn't have a Pro Bowl LBer, either! That's what drafting for need over talent gets you.

If the Fins take Tannehill over a player like DeCastro, they'll likely be sorry every year when DeCastro makes the Pro Bowl while Tannehill holds a clipboard on somebody else's sideline ala Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Claussen et al.

He was a second round pick when Barkley and Jones were still in the draft...since they decided to stay in school, he's moved up. QB's are valued differently then any other position now...

This is pure BS. They are NOT valued differently by anybody except the media. Whether Tannehill was the fifth best QB or the third best, he's simply not a good enough prospect to be taken in the first round.

As for last year, I'll make the prediction that in five years, only 1 of the 2011 draft first rounders will be considered a franchise QB. The others, if not outright busts, may be mediocre starters (ala Alex Smith or Mark Sanchez). The QBs like Dalton, Mallett, and Yates who were taken later, will probably have Kyle Orton-type careers at best.

The fact is, most drafts only yield 1 good franchise-type QB and maybe another decent starting QB, and some drafts yield none (2002 and 2007). Truly elite QBs are even rarer. Only 2 drafts since the merger have yielded more than 1 elite QB: 1983 and 2004.

I didn't come here to talk smack.

Drafting a QB in the first round doesn't make him a better prospect. He will be the very same QB whether he's taken at #8 or at #55. Tannehill simply doesn't have the quality resume to be a first rounder. He isn't as talented as Luck or Griffin, and he sure as heck doesn't have much experience. In other words, he's a project, and taking a project in the Top Ten, heck, anywhere in the first round IMO, is stupid.

The Fins are welcome to Tannehill at #8 because it means there'll be another, much better player available when the Bills pick at #10. However, taking Tannehill means that the Fins will pass on better talent to reach for need. Believe me, as a Bills fan, I saw quite enough of that kind of stupidity under Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron to last me forever: in 2009, this stupid pair took Aaron Maybin at #11 when Brian Orapko was still on the board because the Bills needed a DE. Guess what? Until they inked Mario Williams, the Bills still needed a DE plus they didn't have a Pro Bowl LBer, either! That's what drafting for need over talent gets you.

If the Fins take Tannehill over a player like DeCastro, they'll likely be sorry every year when DeCastro makes the Pro Bowl while Tannehill holds a clipboard on somebody else's sideline ala Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Claussen et al.

I agree with you up until the DeCastro part. Its also why ive done a complete 180 on my assessment of the Pouncey pick. Up until recently ive actually used the Pouncey pick in terms of defending Ireland. I look at it now as a negative. Is Pouncey a good player? Yes, hes a very good player. One of the best at his position. But thats not the point. Its the value of having a top center compared to having a top player at any other position.

Another poster(i think it was thewalrus) put it best in saying that the difference between having the best center in the league compared to having the 15th best center is minimal compared to say having the best WR, QB, DE, OLB, CB or FS compared to having the 15th best player at said position. I would say that besides special teams, the center position might be the least impactful position on the field. We could draft Ray Guy incarnate but that still doesnt make it a good selection at the top of round 1 and i would say a center has much closer the impact of a punter than it does to a QB. Like i said. Theres a world of a difference in having the best qb in the league compared to the 15th best. Thats having an Aaron Rodgers over a Andy Dalton.
And thats why i dont like the Pouncey pick now. It was safe and no matter how good Pouncey is, hes still a center and wasting a top half first round pick on him was foolish IMO.

Back to the point in how that correlates with DeCastro. Yes, i think DeCastro is a monster. I think hes a surefire pro-bowler. But I dont want to waste a number 8 pick on a position that is one of the least impactful on the field. Its not like using #8 pick on a surefire probowl OLB, DE, Left Tackle, QB or CB. Theres a big difference between having the best guard in the game and having Revis, Patrick Willis, Aaron Rodgers, Adrian Peterson, Megatron etc..... So while i agree Tannehill would be a reach at 8 you cant compare a qbs value with that of an interior lineman. The risk/reward is too great. If the reward is getting a probowl qb than you have to take that chance if your people think that potential is there.

If hes a bust so be it. But playing it safe and drafting "surething" interior lineman with high first round picks is a recipe for failure in the long run. No matter how good they become.

This is not me saying I endorse a Tannehill selection. Personally, Im hoping we get an elite talent at a premium postion at 8 and get Weeden in the 2nd. Buts thats me. What im saying is that even if the FO thinks that Tannehill is a reach but still think that he has a certain amount of potential into becoming that franchise QB, than you factor that into the equation in determining whether you should select him at 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannehill is a waste at 8. I hope we draft either Floyd, Blackmon, or trade down and take that TE from Stanford. I like Cousins in the second round. I really feel he's going to be a really good QB.

My thoughts exactly.

floyd is a good pick. We will still be below 500 team with him. Get a QB that can play for the next 10 years. Get off the 1 playoff game multi-year drought.

I agree with you, but having Gabbert, Ponder and Locker all go in the top 12 picks in 2011 changed the scoop of drafting a potential franchise QB moving forward. I think Tannehill is better than all 3 of them and a perfect fit for the WCO offense. I'd understand Miami selecting him at #8. My personal preference is DeCastro, but I'm just a fan hoping for the best player.
I think Tannehill is better than the other 2 but not than Jake Locker.

And Browns fans have no one to blame but themselves. They HAD HAD to get Hillis on Madden. Ahh the stupidity of taunting the football gods. As both the JESTs anf Broncos will soon feel.

Back
Top Bottom