Charles Woodson anyone? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charles Woodson anyone?

As opposed to your infinite wisdom? Everyone here has a opinion. I can go look up some of your doozies, because we all have some.

My wisdom, is that, teams are letting these older players walk. Now you say its because of money. Which does weight into the equation. But the fact a player like Woodson, helped propel one of the worst defenses in the league the past few years, gives me more ammo than....lets say, someone like you. Who advocates paying a ageing once great, alot of money.

This is a message board. And when you have to resort to your retorts, you have lost the argument. I have a opinion, just like your 'wisdom' on topics here.

My opinion is that, for the right price, we could use a veteran or 2 on this defense. Charles Woodson was let go for financial reasons..period. If he was willing to restructure his contract to a cap friendly #, GB would've kept him. On instincts and experience alone he would upgrade free safety for the Dolphins...but given a full offseason to heal, he could do great things for this D. The main reason i'm advocating Charles Woodson or Ed Reed is bc i am not a fan of Chris Clemons, and do not want to see him re-signed. We've had a good, young defense for a couple of years now...i'd like to see it capped off with an experienced vet.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

We aren't contenders...

I disagree.

Well he is up in his late thirties and coming off injury. So two negatives against him there.

Woodson is a zone coverage nickel corner at this stage. IMO Freeney and Woodson are only sub package players at this point to be brought in with the nickel defense.

Problem with your logic is 1- Jairus Byrd won't be let go, if anything he will be franchised. He's arguably the best safety in the game and 2- Charles Woodson being cut isn't bc Charles Woodson can't play..it's bc he's owed 9 million bucks. It's a business decision, not a football one.

Drivel.

Too expensive, too old. Chris Clemons may just be 'safe' but Woodson is a liability back there. Signing him would be a very poor move on our part, IMO.

The Packers had the good fortune of having a football decision and financial decision come together on this one, despite what some people are saying. Let some other desperate team pick him up and let us spend that money on something worthwhile (extending Jones/signing Wallace/resigning Hartline/etc).

Seriously? The same Packers team that couldn't stop any offense in the NFL? That Packers defense was pathetic on so many levels this past year. It made MIA's defense look superior.

You people and this 'mentoring' crap. Old ass players with declining play are being released for a reason. They just aren't what they were, regardless of what you try to project on them. The NFL execs from franchises like GB and BALT are letting some of these players walk, because its time to get younger and faster. Something I wish some here would understand. Woodson, is a shell of his former self. His play at CB was suspect a year ago, and terrible at S this year.

As for the poster that named Byrd...now there you go. Someone who is coming into his prime, versus one who is on his last leg. Common sense? Just reality, IMO.

How exactly did their defense look pathetic and ours superior when they had a better rated d then we did. Someone doesn't know what there talking about

Defensive player of the year, Heisman trophy winner, Super Bowl Champion....yeah who would want that on their team?:crazy:

yea let's try and talk ray Lewis out of retirement while we're at it.

Heisman trophy winner :lol: , yea I wanted that on my team in 1999. Why underplay the gap between a 32 year old Charles Woodson, and one that is 36? You didn't make one argument as to why it would be a good allocation of our money this off season. He is NOT the player he once was, he is playing safety which is a position we happen to be quite capable at. Would we have him play corner? His speed and quickness is deteriorating which is why he was put back there in the first place.

Get out of here with this heisman talk.

Woodson isn't a cb anymore for a reason, and he plays the same position as Reshad Jones.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

How exactly did their defense look pathetic and ours superior when they had a better rated d then we did. Someone doesn't know what there talking about

Where were they ranked last year?

i'M 55 AND i DON'T EVEN LIVE IN THE PAST LIKE THE ABOVE POST
I'm 30 and I don't even write in all caps like the above post.

That's just EWWWWWWWW, and rather tacky!

yea let's try and talk ray Lewis out of retirement while we're at it.

Heisman trophy winner , yea I wanted that on my team in 1999. Why underplay the gap between a 32 year old Charles Woodson, and one that is 36? You didn't make one argument as to why it would be a good allocation of our money this off season. He is NOT the player he once was, he is playing safety which is a position we happen to be quite capable at. Would we have him play corner? His speed and quickness is deteriorating which is why he was put back there in the first place.

Get out of here with this heisman talk.
Had you been paying attention you would have noticed my earlier post when I suggested a case can be made for a veteran presence on our defense that can show the young guys who have played ok but may need someone with experience in winning that can get the group to take the next step into being a playoff caliber team.

Charles Woodson's resume and credentials, granted a couple years removed from his most recent success still is better than anything we have, for the exception of Rashad Jones. That is not even debatable! He can bring much needed leadership and IMO, can alternate between CB, nickel DB, and FS. He might not be as fast as he used to be, however, he does have a knack for getting turnovers and eyeing the football when it's in the air which is something our lousy corners have an inability to do.

Finally, he brings a certain Hall of Fame pedigree which is highly valuable to a team struggling to find an identity. If he didn't have any gas left in the tank he would just retire. He's made plenty of money so you know he's not coming back for that reason. He knows he can ball and if you look at his body type, somewhat slinder, highly versatile athlete with a slim yet tone frame, those in the know just know he can still play. Maybe even to the age of 40! Dude wasn't the Heisman trophy winner for nothing, even though to you that appears to mean nothing. But by all means, go ahead and tag Sean *cough*sucky*cough* Smith and see where that gets you..... oh heck I'll save you the time, it's equivalent to what you'd find in the bottom of a dumpster. Surely you're in favor of that, correct?

People go by reputation too much, if this guy was still the top player a few are making out then he would retire a packer.

Sign young talent that will develop together, dont waste money signing an old man that will need replaced by the time the players around him are ready to compete.

I'm 30 and I don't even write in all caps like the above post.

That's just EWWWWWWWW, and rather tacky!

Had you been paying attention you would have noticed my earlier post when I suggested a case can be made for a veteran presence on our defense that can show the young guys who have played ok but may need someone with experience in winning that can get the group to take the next step into being a playoff caliber team.

Charles Woodson's resume and credentials, granted a couple years removed from his most recent success still is better than anything we have, for the exception of Rashad Jones. That is not even debatable! He can bring much needed leadership and IMO, can alternate between CB, nickel DB, and FS. He might not be as fast as he used to be, however, he does have a knack for getting turnovers and eyeing the football when it's in the air which is something our lousy corners have an inability to do.

Finally, he brings a certain Hall of Fame pedigree which is highly valuable to a team struggling to find an identity. If he didn't have any gas left in the tank he would just retire. He's made plenty of money so you know he's not coming back for that reason. He knows he can ball and if you look at his body type, somewhat slinder, highly versatile athlete with a slim yet tone frame, those in the know just know he can still play. Maybe even to the age of 40! Dude wasn't the Heisman trophy winner for nothing, even though to you that appears to mean nothing. But by all means, go ahead and tag Sean *cough*sucky*cough* Smith and see where that gets you..... oh heck I'll save you the time, it's equivalent to what you'd find in the bottom of a dumpster. Surely you're in favor of that, correct?

While you do make a case as to why he could have a role on this team, I do not think he's going to take a 1 year deal here especially for the cheap because he has made it CLEAR that he wants to play for the sole purpose of winning another superbowl. I also don't think it would be worth the $9 million he is owed to hope that we didn't just give him a fat, Miami based retirement plan. If a short term, overpriced veteran contract is the only way we can make a push to just make the playoffs? I'd rather wait, spend our money elsewhere, and develop our own young talent. While I do think veterans can have a strong positive impact on younger players in the locker room, that's also why we have DB coaches.....don't need to pay $9 million for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember it is okay to agree and disagree as along as it is does respectfully. Another brother's view could help open our eyes and also make us think a little differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom