College hoops thread - Tourney/bubble talk | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

College hoops thread - Tourney/bubble talk

someone who eanred it by at least making their conf title game, it should be someone that won their conf title game. They had their chance at HOME against LSU and failed, they didn't deserve a 2nd chance except in the dysfunctional world of CFB where computers determine a champion.

Winning your conference, nor making your conference's title game "earns" a shot at playing for the national title. Nor did Oklahoma St. make a conference title game either because the Big-12 doesn't even have enough teams to host a conference championship game.

The "must win your conference" argument is ridiculous. Fact is, most teams that do win their conference have no business playing for a national title and the SEC proves that every year. All conferences are not equal, or even close.

LSU destroyed the Pac-12 Champ and the Big-East Champ. Neither Oregon nor West Virginia were national title worthy. Hell, the 5th best team in the SEC (South Carolina) destroyed the ACC Champ (Clemson). The Big-10 Champ (Wisconsin) lost to the Pac-12 Champ (Oregon) in the Rose Bowl. If we've already established that Oregon wasn't national title worthy, neither was the Big-10 Champ who lost to 'em.

Alabama finished 4th or 5th in the SEC the year before and destroyed the Big-10 Champ Michigan St. 49-7 in the Capital One Bowl.

Oklahoma St. lost to a 6-6 team, and should've lost to Stanford in the bowl game if the freshman kicker for Stanford makes a chip shot field goal.

The Conference Champion argument is nothing more than hogwash. The SEC has about 3 teams in it every year that would win every other conference out there, and go undefeated doing it.

Not only was the top 2 teams in college football this year both in the same division in same conference.... the 3rd best team in the country was also residing in the SEC West. Arkansas' only two losses were to LSU and Alabama, and beat the team (Kansas St.) that scored 45 points on Oklahoma St.'s pathetic defense and almost beat 'em.

The conference champion argument will never happen under any system because it eliminates Notre Dame. Their belligerence has been a pain in the a** of college football for decades.

we'll never know if Bama would have humiliated okie State b/c they never had to play as they were handed a spot in the title game by a computer.

'Bama probably was the best team but they blew their shot when they lost at home to LSU, only in this joke of a sport(the way it's run not the game itself) can a team play for a title under this scenario.

Yeah, some people do know. But the fact that they'll never get to play is the only thing that allows people to even open their mouth about it.

College football is different from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA basketball... and I prefer it stay that way. We can have a +1 or a 4 team playoff or anything like that is fine. What I don't want is a watered down playoff with a bunch of teams in it that don't even deserve to be there in the first place.

The regular season still has to mean something. People like you want the regular season to be eliminated and everyone start over with a new season once the playoffs start... which is what happens in the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. The best team doesn't always get crowned the champion. It's just whoever gets the hottest in the playoffs.

The best team is the one that proves it from start to finish, which is what the BCS does. If they go to a +1 or a 4 team playoff, that's fine too. But the regular season still has to mean something. The regular season in college football is the best of any sport in my opinion because it essentially IS a playoff.

Alabama wasn't "given" a shot at the title by the computers. The computers took the regular season and the SOS into account. The voters took into account that Alabama was the better team the first time they played LSU to begin with, even though they lost. They left no doubt the second time.

'Bama didn't earn their title shot, a computer gave it to them. regardless if they were the best team or not, they couldn't beat LSU at home and didn't deserve a title shot. If CBB did it the same way the Heels would have at least double the amount of titles they have now but I'm glad they do it in a fair way.

stick to CFB, if you don't think the Heels have a great shot you aren't paying attention.

I see junc is hanging around being completely WRONG again as usual.

Bama certainly COULD HAVE beaten LSU at home. The fact that they spanked that *** on a nuetral field clearly demonstrates that. What you mean to say is they DID NOT beat LSU at home. Big difference.

And so what. They didnt beat LSU in the regular season. They lost a game they clearly outplayed LSU in, in OT no less. LSU beat them on that day. If you play that game 10 times, LSU will win some of them. Alabama would clearly win more often.

But, the fact remains that not only did BAMA EARN their way into the title game by outperforming the rest of the teams in the NCAA, they EARNED the National Championship by destroying a team that clearly no one else in the country could even compete with.

Nice job spinning this thread into something it isnt supposed to be about btw. FH Spin Meister at his worst.

Yeah, some people do know. But the fact that they'll never get to play is the only thing that allows people to even open their mouth about it.

College football is different from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA basketball... and I prefer it stay that way. We can have a +1 or a 4 team playoff or anything like that is fine. What I don't want is a watered down playoff with a bunch of teams in it that don't even deserve to be there in the first place.

The regular season still has to mean something. People like you want the regular season to be eliminated and everyone start over with a new season once the playoffs start... which is what happens in the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. The best team doesn't always get crowned the champion. It's just whoever gets the hottest in the playoffs.

The best team is the one that proves it from start to finish, which is what the BCS does. If they go to a +1 or a 4 team playoff, that's fine too. But the regular season still has to mean something. The regular season in college football is the best of any sport in my opinion because it essentially IS a playoff.

Alabama wasn't "given" a shot at the title by the computers. The computers took the regular season and the SOS into account. The voters took into account that Alabama was the better team the first time they played LSU to begin with, even though they lost. They left no doubt the second time.
apparently it does not mean a whole lot when a team can lose their biggest game at home nonetheless and still get into the championship game and not win their conference.

no one is disputing that alabama is better than lsu, they prob are, but unfortunately for them, they lost to them at home, and that should have been enough to not allow them to play in the title game.

i dont know how that proves the college football has the best regular season, because again a team lost their biggest game of the year by far, at home nonetheless and still hoisted the trophy at years end, so it showed that even if u do lose the biggest game of the year u can still win it all, hence the regular season means a lot in college football.

i dont get the argument how this is the best system. thats whats supposed to make sports so great, that any team if given the chance can win.

the patriots in 07 as we all know lost in the superbowl after going 18-0, and they played the 1 team that had the ability to give them trouble and lost to them, but if it was bcs style, they would have played the cowboys and most likely one the superbowl.

i can go on and on, but i disagree with the bcs system 100 percent, as do many, and that is why the ratings for these bowl games blow because their is no excitement. once they go to a playoff, if they ever do, the ratings will go up big time. i understand ur going to defend alabama, because ur a bama fan, but i disagree with this whole system.

You guys are so hung up on not winning your conference.

It's not that big of a deal.

You guys want to hire the #2 in command at Google or do you want to hire the #1 at 7/11?

The BCS is not designed to take conference winners.

The BCS is designed to take a **** ton of data and spit out the two best teams. The BCS...again...spit out the two best teams in the country. The two best teams just so happened to be from the same division of the same conference. This is a rare case.

There wasn't a team in the country that could have beaten Alabama outside of LSU. You can make yourself look silly and argue against that if you want, but Alabama/LSU would have BOATRACED Oklahoma State.

Had we had a playoff, we would have been left with Alabama and LSU. and you can't say that Alabama couldn't beat LSU in Tuscaloosa. I think Nick Saban is the greatest coach I've ever seen but I think that was the worst football game he ever coached. Kicker missed FIVE field goals. How often does this happen at any level? I couldn't understand why Saban kept kicking 45+ yarders with a guy that couldn't kick them.

And if you think you can come up with a 16 team college football playoff that works, then be my guest and I'll patiently wait.

apparently it does not mean a whole lot when a team can lose their biggest game at home nonetheless and still get into the championship game and not win their conference.

no one is disputing that alabama is better than lsu, they prob are, but unfortunately for them, they lost to them at home, and that should have been enough to not allow them to play in the title game.

i dont know how that proves the college football has the best regular season, because again a team lost their biggest game of the year by far, at home nonetheless and still hoisted the trophy at years end, so it showed that even if u do lose the biggest game of the year u can still win it all, hence the regular season means a lot in college football.

i dont get the argument how this is the best system. thats whats supposed to make sports so great, that any team if given the chance can win.

the patriots in 07 as we all know lost in the superbowl after going 18-0, and they played the 1 team that had the ability to give them trouble and lost to them, but if it was bcs style, they would have played the cowboys and most likely one the superbowl.

i can go on and on, but i disagree with the bcs system 100 percent, as do many, and that is why the ratings for these bowl games blow because their is no excitement. once they go to a playoff, if they ever do, the ratings will go up big time. i understand ur going to defend alabama, because ur a bama fan, but i disagree with this whole system.

I'm not defending Alabama. The SEC is built for a playoff anyway. We would've had LSU and Alabama in the national championship game no matter what system was in place because they were the two best teams by a significant margin. Alabama and the SEC is going to kick a** no matter what system these conference commissioners and scholarly university presidents agree to. The SEC already proposed the +1 to the other conferences a few years ago and they didn't like it, so they can live with the results.

Alabama was afforded the opportunity to play in the national championship because everybody else that was a viable candidate lost. After Bama lost to LSU in November, Oklahoma St. passed them and was sitting at #2 in the BCS, LSU was #1. All Oklahoma St. had to do was win their games and they get in. Instead, they went out and lost to a 4 TD underdog in Iowa St. Case closed.

I don't think the current BCS structure is the BEST system, but it's not nearly as flawed as you think it is either. The only tweak that needs to be made is a +1 game, which is the exact same thing as a 4 team playoff. The #5 team in the country NEVER has a legitimate case to be considered for the national championship.

Furthermore, an "NFL style" playoff consisting of 12 teams or so simply isn't feasible in D-1 college football. Where are all these playoff games going to be played? Students and fans would have to sell their houses in order to afford being able to follow their team around the country playing playoff games.

Just because the NFL does it, doesn't mean it's the only way to do it and above reproach either. The fact that an NFL team can win it's division with a losing record and make the playoffs, while a 10-6 team from a tougher division gets left out is completely flawed.

NFL teams lose their biggest games of the season at home all the time and end up playing for the trophy. The Patriots already lost to the Giants earlier this season. Should they have been eliminated from being able to play the Giants again in the Superbowl because of that?

The NFL playoffs are designed to get the best team from the NFC to play the best team from the AFC in the superbowl. It's not designed for the two best teams in the league to play each other. The two best teams in the league might both be in the same conference. The Packers were the best team all season, but they ran into a hotter team in the playoffs, not necessarily the better team. Speaking of which, the Giants had already lost to the Packers earlier in the regular season, should they have been eliminated from being able to play the Packers again in the playoffs? Nobody complained about a rematch in either scenario.

The Patriots were the best team in the league the year they went 18-0. They didn't win the superbowl, but there's no doubt that they were still the best team in the league. One flukish play in the superbowl allowed the Giants to win. The Giants hoisted the Lombardi Trophy, but the Patriots were the best team in the league that year, and were still the better team after the superbowl in my opinion.

Nobody is ever going to agree on the perfect system, but the point is, everybody in college football was playing by the same rules when the season began, and Alabama benefited from those rules. Those rules were in place because nobody liked the SEC's proposal of a #1 playoff. The SEC already knew that 2 teams from their conference were going to play for the national championship under the current structure and tried to avoid it.

The BCS is designed to take a **** ton of data and spit out the two best teams. The BCS...again...spit out the two best teams in the country. The two best teams just so happened to be from the same division of the same conference. This is a rare case.

There wasn't a team in the country that could have beaten Alabama outside of LSU. You can make yourself look silly and argue against that if you want, but Alabama/LSU would have BOATRACED Oklahoma State.

Had we had a playoff, we would have been left with Alabama and LSU. and you can't say that Alabama couldn't beat LSU in Tuscaloosa. I think Nick Saban is the greatest coach I've ever seen but I think that was the worst football game he ever coached. Kicker missed FIVE field goals. How often does this happen at any level? I couldn't understand why Saban kept kicking 45+ yarders with a guy that couldn't kick them.

And if you think you can come up with a 16 team college football playoff that works, then be my guest and I'll patiently wait.

Well both kickers CAN make them from 45+, otherwise we wouldn't have been trying 'em. Cade Foster made one from 46 in that game. The misses were from 44, 50, 49, and 52.... with a couple of them blocked. I think LSU deserves the credit for blocking a couple of them because one of those was probably going through the uprights.

All that needed to happen was just for one of those kicks to go through and the game never goes to overtime to begin with. Not to mention the interception by Mark Barron that he returned all the way back inside LSU's 5 yardline that got called back due to a block in the back. Followed by a goalline interception thrown by Marquis Maze on a trick play.

Saban took those field goal shots because he knew LSU couldn't score on his defense anyway. The shot at 3 points was worth more than 20 yards of field position on all of them. His defense surrendered 0 points off of those 4 missed field goals.

The difference in the national championship game was that the field goals were going through like they were supposed to in the first go round, including two from 41 and 44 yards out.

The thing that cost Alabama the first game against LSU was college football's silly overtime rules. I doubt LSU even gets a shot at 3 points in overtime if not for being given the ball on Bama's 25 yardline. There's no way they get into field goal position if they have to string together 3 or 4 first downs and drive the length of the field.

Leave it to Junc to make a few comments and completely derail a thread that's supposed to be about basketball.

Yes...we know...don't care about the less knowledgeable fools..as Bama, next year will be in the mix for another title ,while the other ******* keep crying "it aint fair". Plus we hope,beyond all hope for a playoff of somekind...The title may not ever leave the SEC......Hell it hasn't left the state of Alabama in three years.

I don't blame SEC and 'Bama fans for loving the current format, it pretty much guarantees an SEC team wins every year. if they did this CBB the ACC would have 20 titles in the last 30 years but the system is a joke.

Winning your conference, nor making your conference's title game "earns" a shot at playing for the national title. Nor did Oklahoma St. make a conference title game either because the Big-12 doesn't even have enough teams to host a conference championship game.

The "must win your conference" argument is ridiculous. Fact is, most teams that do win their conference have no business playing for a national title and the SEC proves that every year. All conferences are not equal, or even close.

LSU destroyed the Pac-12 Champ and the Big-East Champ. Neither Oregon nor West Virginia were national title worthy. Hell, the 5th best team in the SEC (South Carolina) destroyed the ACC Champ (Clemson). The Big-10 Champ (Wisconsin) lost to the Pac-12 Champ (Oregon) in the Rose Bowl. If we've already established that Oregon wasn't national title worthy, neither was the Big-10 Champ who lost to 'em.

Alabama finished 4th or 5th in the SEC the year before and destroyed the Big-10 Champ Michigan St. 49-7 in the Capital One Bowl.

Oklahoma St. lost to a 6-6 team, and should've lost to Stanford in the bowl game if the freshman kicker for Stanford makes a chip shot field goal.

The Conference Champion argument is nothing more than hogwash. The SEC has about 3 teams in it every year that would win every other conference out there, and go undefeated doing it.

Not only was the top 2 teams in college football this year both in the same division in same conference.... the 3rd best team in the country was also residing in the SEC West. Arkansas' only two losses were to LSU and Alabama, and beat the team (Kansas St.) that scored 45 points on Oklahoma St.'s pathetic defense and almost beat 'em.

The conference champion argument will never happen under any system because it eliminates Notre Dame. Their belligerence has been a pain in the a** of college football for decades.

If a conf doesn't have a title game that is a different thing, the Big 12 once had a title game and Nebraska got humiliated in it then played for the nat'l Title. Bama was the best team but they didn't prove it in the reg season b/c they lost at HOME to LSU. Yeah if they play LSU 10 times they probably beat them 7 or 8 but if GB plays the Giants they probably beat them 7 times but the Giants earned it by beating GB on the road.

Who cares what LSU did to the pac 12 champ or Big east champ(are you really corwing about beating the BE champ?). 'Bama wound up beating ONE ranjed team int he reg season and did so at home.

Okie State may have lost to a 6-6 team but they didn't get LSU at HOME and lose. That should have been 'Bama's only shot.

I don't think they should have an NCAA BB type of Tourney w/ 60+ teams but an 8 or 16 team playoff would be great for the sport and determine a true champion.

'Bama was given a title game shot by a computer, they didn't earm it, they had an easy sched, beat one team that finished ranked all year and did that at home, lost at home to LSU, didn't make or win their conf title.

The reg season in CFB sucks, there are a handful of good games every year, top teams rarely play tough teams innon conf play. You basically have to win mmaybe 2 tough games a year and if you come through you play for a title.

I see junc is hanging around being completely WRONG again as usual.

Bama certainly COULD HAVE beaten LSU at home. The fact that they spanked that *** on a nuetral field clearly demonstrates that. What you mean to say is they DID NOT beat LSU at home. Big difference.

And so what. They didnt beat LSU in the regular season. They lost a game they clearly outplayed LSU in, in OT no less. LSU beat them on that day. If you play that game 10 times, LSU will win some of them. Alabama would clearly win more often.

But, the fact remains that not only did BAMA EARN their way into the title game by outperforming the rest of the teams in the NCAA, they EARNED the National Championship by destroying a team that clearly no one else in the country could even compete with.

Nice job spinning this thread into something it isnt supposed to be about btw. FH Spin Meister at his worst.

They COULD have? that's your weak argument? seriously? They lost to LSU at home, whether they beat them the 2nd time around means nothing in regard to playing for the title. They didn't earn the chance to play for the title, ion the title game they earned the win but they never should have played in that game if CFB wasn't such a complete joke.

When 'Bama beat sone ranked team all year how is it determined they are the 2nd best team and should play in the title game? this after losing at HOME to the #1 team?

"Had we had a playoff we would have been left w/ Alabama and LSU"? really? like the 1 seeds in the AFC and NFC this year? like the top teams in the AL & NL? In a playoff game/series nothing is guaranteed especially in a one game playoff. The chances are very slim both teams make it and I wish they had a chance to prove it.

Hoping JMike is in the lineup with something to prove.

Back
Top Bottom