Combine Talk | Page 35 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Combine Talk

Darby looked like the top CB in the draft at the Combine. But I've seen so little of him, I don't know what he's like on gameday. Trying to look at him on PJ Williams videos, but it's virtually pointless.

Does he have the instincts, the competitive streak, can he read the QB? He's smoother than the cream in a Twinkie, that's for sure.

So far in his limited football career, Jalen Collins is a fraud. He's playing the wrong game - should have been an ice-skater or something. That guy tries harder to avoid a tackle than anyone in the draft (Doran Grant is another). I don't care if he ran a 4.2 and had a 50' vert. He plays soft. If a guy runs into him, he'll put his body in there. But if he can avoid it, he will. Pass, unless he magically discovers his inner badass.

i agree with you on Dawson... he brings it on the field, his film is extremely impressive and I been very high on him with his instincts and fire to the line and making plays... reads and tracts the ball well... just watching him disappoint in the combine does add some interesting question marks, but for me it was definiely more of the attitude, possible effort, arrogance... whatever it was. but you called it well!!!

Collins I disagree I think he does pretty well against the run, and ocne again I liked him more after seeing he has the ability to hone his overall technique and skills onto the field quicker for the NFL.

and for Doran Grant what you said, I agree there... i am not overly big on him either, does all right but I do not see much upside in him... what he has now i think you get. his hips and feet arent the greatest on film, he plays very high and gets himself off balance often.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Darby looked like the top CB in the draft at the Combine. But I've seen so little of him, I don't know what he's like on gameday. Trying to look at him on PJ Williams videos, but it's virtually pointless.

Does he have the instincts, the competitive streak, can he read the QB? He's smoother than the cream in a Twinkie, that's for sure.

check the thread in the draft foru... its titles 2015 Draft CBs i believe.... i have a huge list of the CBs and my thoughts on them from watching their film, as well as some good conversations on them.

here is my thoughts on Darby from film though:

Ronald Darby- Florida St.: not a physical player at all, has very nice speed hips and great backpedal, seems like an athlete, but route awareness is poor with lacking in footwork and technique, he doesnt have the best ball skills either. (caught the ball very well today in the drills)

Here comes Slimm's boy McCain

hmmm 4.54...

my boy Steven Nelson... 4.49... 1.57 split!!!

Kevin Johnson 4.52... 1.6 split? i think

Bobby McCain 4.52... 1.6 split as well

Quentin Rollins 4.67... like a 1.67 split.... i think he has a better run second time around. 4.58... 1.61 split... it did improved!!!

Josh Shaw... 4.4... 1.55-1.57 split i think

D;Joun Smith ... 4.46, he can run... they didnt post his split but film shows he can recover and accelerate well

Trae Waynes... 4.35 run... 1.55 split... NICE!!!.... 4.32, with a 1.53 split... .consistent and even better!!!

Kevin White... 1.64 ... 1.56 split..... really??? TCU guy not gonna show well again... finthirteent nailing the TCU???

PJ Williams... 4.57... 1.55 split

Cody Prewitt odd high knee legged stride... Gunter gets like that at times on the field too

Last edited by a moderator:
As a big Florida State fan I've watched a lot of Ronald Darby. He is a really good track runner and has blazing speed. After his sophmore year he was looked at as a lock for the first round. He didn't have highlights because nobody threw at him. Then last year in my mind he regressed, and was a liability tackling too. Glad to see he did really well and think he could be great, but he has regressed IMO. Perhaps it was him being distracted with track, or perhaps it was all of the hot Co-eds running around the campus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq8Zm3mXgLE

(back when he was lockdown)

I use to have gordon sloted in for us At 14, but I've changed my tune.

I think building a true power running game should be our top goal this off season.

One my plans going into the draft would be drafting la el collins, and than either trading up for gordon or going rb in the 3rd and hoping for cobb or.mike davis, or trade up for gurley.

My backup plan would be sign gore, or trade a late pick for muscle hamster. I'm a huge fan of martin, and he should be fresh this yr.
I'm with you on the power running game. If we're talking about that one player who would make the biggest difference to me that's Gurley (if healthy). I expect that Gurley will be close to healthy by the time the season rolls around. Agree, Miami needs to get more physical on both sides of the ball. It's a must going against Buffalo, New York Jets and New England twice a year each.

I like Eric Rowe, hoping for something in the early 4.5s.

i am not fond of him... he doesnt have great fluid movements in and out of footwork, overly physical with his hands down field too... just doesnt have the quickness and hips. i gotta see him in the drills

but he just had a good 40 for you... 1.56 split... good burst

damn, 4.4. Want to see his hips in drills, but on video, he looks great to me. Very solid and not splashy. Hands aren't good, though.

Same here. If we miss out on parker, cooper and white, I'd love Waynes at 14.

It's very plausible and wouldn't surprise me at all.

Grimes' deal was essentially guaranteed for 2 years, with the final 2 years easy to get out of. By the start of 2016, Grimes will be 33 . . . you expect a drop off eventually.

Taylor showed some promise, but the injury concerns are legit. Will Davis, he's been a no show for 2 seasons. Finnegan is over the hill. Aiken and Wilson are both in between guys, not really really guys you pencil in as potential starters at CB.

It's almost like the oline . . . if a couple guys step up, we can manage the unit . . . but we could use a big time player there as well.

I like the idea of the physicality Waynes could bring. Coyle likes CBs who can read formations and adapt - Waynes seems to be comfortable with that. I hate the safety group this year - esp at FS. Resign Delmas, bring up Aikens and plug in Waynes and you have a pretty nice grouping to go with Taylor and Grimes. Question is, who is your slot guy? I certainly prefer Taylor outside.

Back
Top Bottom