Combine Talk | Page 36 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Combine Talk

I like the idea of the physicality Waynes could bring. Coyle likes CBs who can read formations and adapt - Waynes seems to be comfortable with that. I hate the safety group this year - esp at FS. Resign Delmas, bring up Aikens and plug in Waynes and you have a pretty nice grouping to go with Taylor and Grimes. Question is, who is your slot guy? I certainly prefer Taylor outside.

This is not a liked opinion, but Jimmy Wilson in 2013 had a very good year when he was able to focus primarily as the nickel CB. The moving back in forth from being a fill in at FS/SS and CB really hurt him. He was asked to gain and lose weight constantly and he underperformed. I'd guess him and Will Davis are the 2 guys fighting it out for the nickel.

Just a repost basically from group 2 CBs:

my boy Steven Nelson... 4.49... 1.57 split!!!

Kevin Johnson 4.52... 1.6 split? i think

Bobby McCain 4.52... 1.6 split as well

Quentin Rollins 4.67... like a 1.67 split.... i think he has a better run second time around. 4.58... 1.61 split... it did improved!!!

Josh Shaw... 4.44... 1.55-1.57 split i think

D;Joun Smith ... 4.46, he can run... they didnt post his split but film shows he can recover and accelerate well

Trae Waynes... 4.35 run... 1.55 split... NICE!!!.... 4.32, with a 1.53 split... .consistent and even better!!!

Kevin White... 4.64 ... 1.56 split..... really??? TCU guy not gonna show well again... finthirteent nailing the TCU???

PJ Williams... 4.57... 1.55 split

Cody Prewitt odd high knee legged stride... Gunter gets like that at times on the field too

I like the idea of the physicality Waynes could bring. Coyle likes CBs who can read formations and adapt - Waynes seems to be comfortable with that. I hate the safety group this year - esp at FS. Resign Delmas, bring up Aikens and plug in Waynes and you have a pretty nice grouping to go with Taylor and Grimes. Question is, who is your slot guy? I certainly prefer Taylor outside.

I agree here... Trae Waynes seems very smart and able to cover and run with... yes he played press and has the length, but honestly i didnt see him as an overall physical CB anyways... he can definitely work into our scheme or at least has ability to and learn very well.. .easy coachable!!!

and i agree with you and kdawg that Taylor and Wilson we are definitely going to need in our secondary.. .they gotta step up for nickle packages and depth all in all.

not many safeties to like in this draft, if any really at all.

I agree here... Trae Waynes seems very smart and able to cover and run with... yes he played press and has the length, but honestly i didnt see him as an overall physical CB anyways... he can definitely work into our scheme or at least has ability to and learn very well.. .easy coachable!!!

and i agree with you and kdawg that Taylor and Wilson we are definitely going to need in our secondary.. .they gotta step up for nickle packages and depth all in all.

not many safeties to like in this draft, if any really at all.

A lot of possible converts from CB - a la Aikens. Nothing interesting from the safety group at all. And I include Collins. He's a grown man and an enforcer but he's been horrible in coverage. I'm sure he can improve, but you want better than that in the top half of R1.

was Quentin Rollins jogging and not putting effort in backpedal turn drill??? or his hips just not so quick??? very slow backpedaling

D'Joun Smith hips werent showing... he kind of disappointing in and out of breaks

Josh Shaw was smooth, he is looking good

Trae Waynes very smooth too... good hands..... that backpedaling from game film is showing on the field in drills, struggling a bit

PJ Williams is working hard... not great balance out of backpedal though

Steven Nelson can explode out of turns... no wasted movement, he firing and impressing me!!! such quick feet

Eric Rowe... footwork is better than i expected , stiff though in movement, hips are decent... not the smoothest

*** and I am mad again.. .they went to the chick again asking about wearing a mask, he annoying sound effects and stupid wordings instead of showing all of the double move drill i wanted to see.... missed a lot of guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two guys I like a lot for our defense is Steven Nelson and Jacoby Glenn. I think Glenn is the perfect fit for this defense…he's about as purely suited for off-man as you are going to find

Here comes Slimm's boy McCain

hmmm 4.54...

curious... what did Slimm like about McCain???

i havent ha him in my thoughts at all... i dont like him much... not physically in any way, if WRs get into him they break off of him quick, his footwork isnt great with quickness in and out of his breaks, he takes extra steps on little moves by WRs forcing him to need to get beat and need to recover often, doesnt seem to have good route awareness..... if i like him from anything in film is he could be a good zone scheme fit in a nickle... but otherwise i dont like much. also doesnt take good angles or effort into the running game. seems to be an athlete though that can run.

Two guys I like a lot for our defense is Steven Nelson and Jacoby Glenn. I think Glenn is the perfect fit for this defense…he's about as purely suited for off-man as you are going to find

YES.... Steven Nelson I was big on anyways, but after today I love him more!!!

Jacoby Glenn did have a good showing as well.he was another kid I was liking from game film, and was showing some stuff today too... good call.

but from film all of this today, Trae Waynes honestly has changed my mind a bit i think that we can take him at #14.... i havent been saying that much for many players in this draft yet either.

I've been trying to get work done today so I'll have to watch this on the DVR when I get home. I wanted to get a look at Lorenzo Doss, Charles Gaines, Craig Mager, Steven Nelson, Kevin Johnson and D'Joun Smith.

I've been trying to get work done today so I'll have to watch this on the DVR when I get home. I wanted to get a look at Lorenzo Doss, Charles Gaines, Craig Mager, Steven Nelson, Kevin Johnson and D'Joun Smith.

personally i am sad i missed a lot of Kevin Johnson due to them turning cameras to yapping away when he was up on almost everything.

You are going to LOVE Steven Nelson!!!!

Lorenzo Doss had an okay showing... i was kind of comparing him with Jacoby Glenn throughout and Glenn I think looked nicer... here are my thoughts on Glenn earlier: Jacoby Glenn: had it all too, light feet, burst, he looked smooth.... backpedal seemed better than i thought. keep an eye on him

Charles Gaines was first group and was just interesting to watch... my thoughts: Charles Gaines: ran well too, great hips... footwork could work more, but he makes a lot of noise and sounds when he is moving LOL. i still worry on him against the run and his size.

D'Joun Smith was more disappointing for me today... iwas kinda shocked on a lot because his footwork, speed, change of direction on film looked much better than today... just wasnt overly impressive in and out of breaks as i thought he would be

Trae Waynes though after film and watching him today, all in all i am feeling pretty confident taking him at #14... something I have not said about many people in this draft yet. impressive

and then there is thoughts and conversation and times and results throughout the thread to read too if ya havent.... after you watch it on DVR, please discuss... i'm interested in your thoughts as well!!!

worst showings for me today:

Cody Prewitt: makes this list as #1... simply awful in any sort of movement, just seemed lost as well... i felt bad.

Ladrius Gunter: showed his slowness and slow footwork as well, i still think he can stride downfield with WRs but long speed and overall out of breaks is not there... plus not really physical

Anthony Jefferson: stiff and not fluent, but then his hands and hand speed was just so poor... he is going to have body bruises from the footballs

Quinten Rollins: if someone can prove me wrong please do... was his backpedal slow and hips slow? was he not putting in effort? tell me something cause i wasnt impressed.

D'Joun Smith: from game film i thought he had quick feet and hips and great burst... his 40 was very nice... but in drills he didnt show me that, nor focus.

Quandre Diggs: now he was the best of these guys, and actually did pretty well... but just overall still shows me as an average athlete with average feet, hips, quickness... but plays SMART

Waynes is very nice, if he lasts until 14 its almost a no brainer. Like KDawg said, Waynes and Taylor with Grimes being cut into 2016 would open some cap space as well. Waynes has experience in a system like ours plus that speed. Would be a very nice piece on our defense. I think we can still get a very good DT or WR in the 2nd, like Phillips at DT and Strong/DGB in the 2nd. I like talent more than filling needs. but if the talent also helps fill a need than great. Waynes one year to learn under Grimes wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Waynes is very nice, if he lasts until 14 its almost a no brainer. Like KDawg said, Waynes and Taylor with Grimes being cut into 2016 would open some cap space as well. Waynes has experience in a system like ours plus that speed. Would be a very nice piece on our defense. I think we can still get a very good DT or WR in the 2nd, like Phillips at DT and Strong/DGB in the 2nd. I like talent more than filling needs. but if the talent also helps fill a need than great. Waynes one year to learn under Grimes wouldn't be a bad thing either.

agree with you on Waynes picking him and what he can do (though he really isnt coming from same scheme as Miami)

and agree with you on DL and WR in draft after... but the scary thing I am worried on is ILB... we'll fill nothing there possibly

Back
Top Bottom